• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

200 years ago

AspieChris

V.I.P Member
What was missing from life that we take for granted today. Things that mght be the reason why ASD is so prevalent?

For example:

I live next to a major freeway. The noise at night makes it hard to sleep. I’m not crazy, but insomnia would make any sane person crazy after a year or two. Am I a crazy person…. Or a person with’ASD?

200 years ago we rode horses.

What was missing from life that we take for granted today. Things that mght be the reason why ASD is so prevalent?

For example:

I live next to a major freeway. The noise at night makes it hard to sleep. I’m not crazy, but insomnia would make any sane person crazy after a year or two. Am I a crazy person…. Or a person with’ASD?

Even 20 years ago I wouldn’t have been able to post this because cell phones were in their infancy

Seen from the opposite side, 200 years ago you couldn't get diagnosed, you couldn't order on-line, no self service checkout - you actually had to talk to people, no forum like this to meet others in the same situation, you would think you were just like everybody else but being bad at it. I often think I would have ended up as one of those that lived alone inside a forest or in the mountains if we have had any here... maybe I would have been burned as a scapegoat for the harvest failing, or the king not getting children, or maybe I would have hyper fixated on turning led to Gold and be hired by the king :)

Did you know that in 200 years from now there'll probably be something that we don't know about but the people in the future would be like "how did they manage without it in 2024??" even though we think we have everything now.

you would think you were just like everybody else but being bad at it.
That was the reality for me and others on the spectrum during the 50s through 70s when autism was rarely diagnosed. My intelligence and academic performance was such that people thought my social isolation was a choice. It was hard when I had a desire to belong, to date, to get into a relationship, yet would beat myself up over my anxiety about engaging with people and my failure to approach women even when I may have had the opportunity.

I grew up in an area of California where kids rode horses to school in the 1980s and 90s. And then from that tiny town, we lived 18 miles away on windy country roads. A day late for the bus meant dad driving 80 for 18 miles straight, fishtailing intentionally on gravel around washed out spots and curves, while we listened to the rock station on the radio.

We had a farmers fair at school every year. The ultimate show and tell, where families would set up stalls in the play field, and show off whatever stock or crop or craft that they specialized in.

It was really neat, because I got to, at school, shear sheep and spin wool. I got to see German Shepherds who were trained for the CHP do mini obstacle courses. Hogs in pens that looked nothing like little Wilbur on Charlotte's Web grunt menacingly in the arid sun.

I remember clearly seeing my first "purebred" small breed dog. A family had these little white Yorkshire Terriers, and they were also doing some kind of course. I had never seen anything so adorable in my life. I learned that day what pedigree meant.

The only dogs I knew of were tall, muscular, stately mutts. Ranch dogs that never came inside. Never sat on laps. They were working dogs of a hundred different lines and breeds. Bred every year when the bitches would disappear into the mountains in heat. It's how it was for everyone. One year we even had a half coyote puppy who was sweet to us the first couple months before his instincts kicked in. But here were these little tiny purebred terriers, all washed and groomed and just the right size for a little girl to cuddle.

But my favorite stall was the rich girl who every year would bring her Shetland ponies. I think I cried at least one year, when the bell rang, because I loved those little ponies so very much. The couple that owned them didn't mind that I was late for class. They smiled down at me as I curried and brushed her horses, braiding the manes, even though all the other children were already in class. I got in trouble, but it was worth it.
I love going to the 4H fairs around me. For a couple of years there has been a girl showing Pack Goats, American French-Alpine wethers trained to pack 60 lb loads. I have used such in the Escalante and they are a joy to work with.

A feature at these fairs and the county fair is the livestock auction. Butchers from local stores always bid and soon after there is a meat locker of excellent meats to choose from with a display of the award ribbons.

I sometimes wonder how children with HFA or ADHD were back in the 1940s during WW2. Maybe they "weren't allowed" to be autistic or ADHD, because parents were stricter back then so anything that they thought was "nonsense" probably got tough consequences. But I got spanked a lot as a child but I still misbehaved. So I don't know. I think if I grew up in the 1940s instead of the 1990s I probably would have been sent to an institution or something, even though my ASD symptoms aren't very pronounced, my behaviour still would have gotten me kicked out of mainstream school, just for something like crying.

Seen from the opposite side, 200 years ago you couldn't get diagnosed, you couldn't order on-line, no self service checkout - you actually had to talk to people, no forum like this to meet others in the same situation, you would think you were just like everybody else but being bad at it. I often think I would have ended up as one of those that lived alone inside a forest or in the mountains if we have had any here... maybe I would have been burned as a scapegoat for the harvest failing, or the king not getting children, or maybe I would have hyper fixated on turning led to Gold and be hired by the king :)
But was this better? Maybe ordering online is the problem….

My Great Grandmother was born in 1880. Her, her husband Jack and their only daughter Mary migrated to Australia in 1913. Jack got work in a tin mine in Kapunda, in the Barossa Valley, he was a lime burner. 5 years later he died, his lungs were destroyed from all the dust in the mine.

There was no such thing as a pension or unemployment benefits back then, the only support available for poor people was work houses run by Christian Missionaries, and ending up in one of those places was considered to be a fate worse than death. So Granny Carter moved over to the Murray River, near Blanchetown. At least there she was able to feed herself and her now adult daughter.

There Mary met my grandfather Fred and they got married, then a Catholic Missionary set up shop in the area and it was time to leave. My grandfather was half aboriginal, if they stayed his children would have been taken away from him. They all moved to the city, Adelaide.

There no one knew my grandfather and he looked white enough to be treated as a white man, his aboriginal heritage was his dirty dark secret that he thought he’d taken to his grave with him, even his children didn’t know. After he died my grandmother brought out all the old photos and told me stories about all the different people. It was the first time she’d been allowed to talk about them in 40 years.

When I was 11 I was just old enough to realise how old Granny Carter was. I said to her one day “Gran, you were born in 1880.”. She said “That’s right.” I said “You saw the first steam train.”. She said “We rode on it!” and told me a story about how her father took the family to Edinburgh to see the train. The was 7 miles of track, they didn’t have much money and could only afford a one way ticket and they had to walk the 7 miles back to where they’d left the cart.

I said “Gran, you saw it all. The steam train, electricity, motor cars, radio, aeroplanes, telephones, moving pictures, television, space ships to the moon even. Out of all of that Gran, what was the best?’. She asked “How do you mean?”. I asked her “What made life best for people?”.

She thought about it for a little while then said “I’ve seen six kings and queens ascend the throne.”. I was confused, I asked her why that was best. She said “Take your motor car for example, you can get places a lot quicker now, can’t you? But now you’re expected to be there quicker, you’re no better off!”.

But was this better? Maybe ordering online is the problem….
I'm not sure I get your question the right way, so this might be a wild shot - but with the initial post and this, are you wondering/suggesting if/that autism comes from the environment rather than being a random/genetic thing? That it needs a trigger to show (like the freeway noise)?

For example:

[Life free of smartphone]
I would love to live in the city for a while..I used to love travelling there
ASD is not a bad disease
People who are autistic are beautiful and a blessing

200 years ago, my wife's family was part of a community building the town that would become Canadas largest city.
most of her current family is unaware of this.

Antibiotics & most vaccines.

There is plenty of evidence for the presence of ASD1.
Only ASD2/3 was rare.
I doubt they were rare. Those unfortunates were simply considered feeble minded and instituionalized when possible, taken care of by family when not. I had a great aunt who was blind and intellectually disabled (they used the R word back then). She lived into her 40s before she died. I remember whenever we visited my great grandmother, her daughter (my great aunt) was always in a corner of the room, occasionally throwing out strange comments that us kids sometimes found funny.

I doubt they were rare. Those unfortunates were simply considered feeble minded and instituionalized when possible, taken care of by family when not. I had a great aunt who was blind and intellectually disabled (they used the R word back then). She lived into her 40s before she died. I remember whenever we visited my great grandmother, her daughter (my great aunt) was always in a corner of the room, occasionally throwing out strange comments that us kids sometimes found funny.
In the US, they would have been "on the radar" and accounted for (even if mislabeled), especially when mandatory school attendance was in force.

According to a California DDS report (below*), the boom in ASD2/3 cannot be attributed to changes in diagnostic criteria. (They do not include ASD1s in said report/services.)

*Bottom of page 7,
"A popular hypothesis that the increase is largely due to greater awareness, changing criteria, and other diagnostic factors has not been substantiated..."

And on page 18,
"The increase is unlikely to result from diagnostic factors such as broadening criteria or greater awareness."

Last edited:
I could probably find a number of intellectuals, 200 years ago who eccentric, and most likely were on the spectrum.

I'm not sure I get your question the right way, so this might be a wild shot - but with the initial post and this, are you wondering/suggesting if/that autism comes from the environment rather than being a random/genetic thing? That it needs a trigger to show (like the freeway noise)?
Autism (In my opinion) is like having red hair and white skin. It’s not created, it just is a normal part of humanity.

BUT (again, in my opinion), if Global Warming is a real thing….. (I’m definitely not trying to start a conversation about that), but if it is happening, then the pasty redheads with translucent skin get burnt the worst.

Maybe technology for ADS’s is like global warming for redheads.

Autism (In my opinion) is like having red hair and white skin. It’s not created, it just is a normal part of humanity.

BUT (again, in my opinion), if Global Warming is a real thing….. (I’m definitely not trying to start a conversation about that), but if it is happening, then the pasty redheads with translucent skin get burnt the worst.

Maybe technology for ADS’s is like global warming for redheads.
Ok, I think I understand your view, like autism is genetic, but our current society is more difficult for people with autism, so it is expressed more?

200 years ago:

• No anesthesia. People undergoing surgery were given a shot of whisky and a strip of leather to bite down on.

• No antibiotics. If you got an infection, your choices included prayer and/or amputation.

• No electricity. Candles, kerosene, and whale-oil were burned for lighting.

• No building codes. Emergency fire exits were almost unheard-of.

• No refrigerators or air-conditioners. Food was either fresh, heavily salted, or dried. People died of heat-stroke in their own homes.

• No Internet, automobiles, computers, televisions, airplanes, video games. You worked more than you played.

New Threads

Top Bottom