• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your sensitivity borders on......

I've been told I'm too sensitive most of my life. Neurotic, no. Possibly too serious. I'd like to be like fridgemagnetman but I never remember jokes. It's hard to be funny.

Changing my forum name to Mianamtengamegdirf and that's pronounced 'Mia-nam-ten-game-dirf, or just dirf for short.:p

Possibly too serious. I'd like to be like fridgemagnetman but I never remember jokes. It's hard to be funny.

Will I offer a master class? :)
(Sounds arrogant as it's not up to me to decide what's funny in a general sense)

I don't remember jokes either. I've had 40 plus years of collection reference,reading randomly, and making things up on the spot.

I also had the benefit of using humor as an avoiding mechanism as well as a '''fitting in' exercise.
Underneath I am an intensely serious person.
But everyone needs a blowhole.

(Now that last line makes no sense but it is so close, that it could . And I imagine the reader knows what it means despite this. And I find that funny. A random phrase that could have been a 'saying' )

I've been told I'm too sensitive most of my life. Neurotic, no. Possibly too serious.
Same here. These people are not worth being in my life making rude remarks such as this. Thankfully, I’ve got rid of them. i.e. immediate family and they wonder why I was quiet and withdrawn. I wish they had accepted me as I am, but no.

Before a friend pointed me in the direction of autism and the clouds parted and the sun shone, I knew something was 'wrong' with me and I kept Googling neuroticism. It didn't quite fit although I did encounter various definitions. It just didn't seem like a very good diagnosis for anyone really. When I think neurotic I think of the characters Woody Allen plays.

I often refer to myself as neurotic, but not in the word's technical form (relating to neurosis). However, I do use it in the non-technical sense (abnormally sensitive, obsessive, or anxious) because I think that sums me up quite nicely.

On Sims 3, I made myself as a sim and one of my traits is neurotic. This trait makes sims check to see if sinks have been turned off a few times, and if they don't then they start to feel anxious about it. Which is completely accurate to how I act.

Neurotic

I'm abnormally sensitive in both my physical senses (overly heightened hearing, sense of smell, taste and occasionally visual sensitivity) and emotionally (I'm resilient in some ways, but sometimes minor things will lead to intense emotions).

Obsessive by either compulsions (desire to say a certain set of words or a singular word after doing a certain action, or with the action itself) or with a topic (cats, particular types of seahorses and butterflies...so on. Sometimes even a fear or something disturbing I've seen).

Anxious (tendency to worry about everything that could go wrong).

Yup. Seems accurate.

I'm highly sensitive but I'm not on the spectrum. Not on the autism spectrum that is, but it is possible that there's something going on with me. Or perhaps not. I've not really surprised at my obsessive nature, I have relatives and ancestors that either show or used to show certain obsessive traits. Seems to run in the family to an extent.

Guess l was just trying to say does being overly sensitive push u to believing you are slightly neurotic because u just take in too much info, then u question the huge info dump, then u start to over-analyse, then u think wait nobody else does this but me, wait, wtf, l must be as neurotic as shiitake.

New Threads

Top Bottom