• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your 5 senses

Christy

V.I.P Member
I've become aware that my sense of hearing and my sense of smell are not so good. I always knew my sense of smell wasn't the best, but I just didn't realise my sense of hearing was so poor. It explains a lot to be honest, but I just never knew!

So do other people have this sort of issue? Is this an aspie thing? Or do you find you have heightened sense?

Well, my vision is slowly getting worse. But I guess that comes with age in most people.

My hearing is good enough to wake me up when I don't want to, my smell does the same for me. And taste seems fine. Touch... I sometimes don't feel a thing. My sense fluctuates a bit there from able to feel things to totally numb (though I can still move them). Though on the other hand, I think my senses in general fluctuate around a bit. Going from hyper sensitive hearing to not hearing much at all at times. Probably somewhat mood related.

I think the sense that's most dysfunctional with me is probably common sense. But that's not part of the big 5.

My vision is exceptional!...in one eye.
Apart from that both my 'hearing' and 'feeling' (textures and stuff) I think are considerably amplified compared to normal people.
None of my senses, apart from eyesight, are below average.

Vision? Let's not go there. I use two pairs of glasses as I type this. Gotta get a new prescription...keep procrastinating on it. Arrrgh.

Hearing...too good for this old codger. Low frequencies continue to drive me nuts...and screaming toddlers in stores...they almost have to peel me off the ceiling.

Sense of smell....weird. As if I have olfactory hallucinations. Phantom smells that come and go. But I debunked the most recent one. Need to add more weatherproofing to my door. The neighbors' cooking smell was intruding....thought I was going nuts until I figured it out...lol.

Yep same for me, eyesight getting worse. Heightened sense of smell. Hearing is about average. I also have this weird sense of touch that lets me identify pretty much anything with a blind fold on. Should come in handy when the eyes give out

My eyes were terrible in the first place, so getting worse doesn't matter all that much. My touch is extra-sensitive except my hands for some reason. I've inherited my father's zeta-block condition, albeit less so, which makes me hate crowded places even more. I really love not hearing conversation!

My eyesight gets worse as I get older (I'm almost 29) but I think I have a heightened sense of hearing and smell. I get very irritable over even the smallest sounds that a lot of times people can't hear. I moved my whole family because I was being woken up by some kids alarm clock downstairs and diagonal from my room. Smells don't get me started. There will be something sitting on the coffee table from earlier that day and I can smell it when no one else can (like something in a cup not on a plate that's way too easy) or I will get a random whiff of something. Or the worst is BAD smells. I will smell something bad and search and search for it while everyone else quietly sits watching Tv. As for taste I am sensitive to certain things like spice. I can't handle the smallest spicy taste. I call myself a super taster lol

Eyesight: I've had glasses since I was in primary school, but they've corrected my eyes, so they've improved.

Hearing: that's going a little, but I still hear fine. It's only when people mumble that I get frustrated.

Smell and Taste: ultra sensitive; which is probably why I love smells and tastes. This can obviously backfire with bad tastes and smells.

Touch: fairly normal I think, but I really appreciate the feeling of textures

Last edited:
Eyesight - Poor, my glasses are very powerful (my right eye is much worse than my left).
Hearing - Varies, sometimes its quite sensitive with certain sounds.
Smell - Poor at the moment but it has an odd way of picking up 'smells or textures' in the air (its hard to describe)
Taste - Average.
Touch - Average for the most part but some things can be unpleasant, also handling certain materials can make my hands red and itchy.

New Threads

Top Bottom