• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Young, Autistic and Stagestruck

mikkyh

"The idea here is to gather a group of autistic young people and have them put on a variety show. Think of it as a massively challenged glee club, if you like. The catch is, autism isn't one thing - it's a spectrum that covers such a range of conditions that it's hard at first to see how the very different ages and abilities corralled into in a London rehearsal room will be able to work together. Ben, for instance, sees the experiment as "a lunatic asylum". He's a 12-year-old, so-called "high-functioning" autistic, ie smart and competitive but not good with emotions. Then there's 17-year-old Andrew who has "classic" autism and, we're told, limited social skills. Nonetheless, he wastes no time in bonding with Claire, a 19-year-old with a fabulous voice but such low self-esteem she cries at the slightest criticism. Mollie, 11, spends the sessions crouching behind a curtain. I'm guessing (and hoping) that by the end of the series, she will have somehow magically blossomed."

This is a brand new documentary featuring people with a ASDs (this week will be focusing on 5 of the group of 9 - some with High Functioning Autism, Low Functioning Autism and "Classic Autism").

You can view this article in full H
ERE and/or at the channel 4 website HERE.

Details:
Date: Monday 12th April
Time: 8:00pm
Channel: 4

It sounded interesting unitl I read this line:

F**k Channel 4. All they care about is controversy. I'd be surprised if they made this documentary in a positive light.

That's fairly true Calv, Do you remember this documentary "Make me normal" that came on time ago, basically what that documentary was about is more into the downside of autism which is a real shame, in a way it sounds like the documentary makes autism seem like a bad thing but then again, the people who were the main ones in the film, Roxanne, Moneer, Ester and Roy don't really accept being autistic and As.

Funny enough, I know all of them and as a matter of fact, they are all doing very well and Roxanne is girlfriend now and since the documentary, things have happily changed for the best for them.

I'd prefer watching documentaries on BBC, I tend to sometimes feel uncomfortable with what channel 4 show these days.

But still, I shall check it out.

TBH I like Channel 4 documentaries but at times they are really biased. Maybe not biased but don't pay attention to the opposition of the point their trying to convey as such... IMO there is a difference.
I do think it sounds like a good idea though, to show that it IS a spectrum.
Though it could go wrong.
I don't like the BBC for reasons too stupid to state xD.
EMZ=]

TBH I like Channel 4 documentaries but at times they are really biased. Maybe not biased but don't pay attention to the opposition of the point their trying to convey as such... IMO there is a difference.
I do think it sounds like a good idea though, to show that it IS a spectrum.
Though it could go wrong.
I don't like the BBC for reasons too stupid to state xD.
EMZ=]

BBC arent the people who make the programmes. BBC ask a production company to make a documentary about a certain subject and that production makes the documentary. depends on the production of how it comes across. the one i been in is the best they are high profile production, they make documentaries, adverts,videos etc.

"The idea here is to gather a group of autistic young people and have them put on a variety show. Think of it as a massively challenged glee club, if you like. The catch is, autism isn't one thing - it's a spectrum that covers such a range of conditions that it's hard at first to see how the very different ages and abilities corralled into in a London rehearsal room will be able to work together. Ben, for instance, sees the experiment as "a lunatic asylum". He's a 12-year-old, so-called "high-functioning" autistic, ie smart and competitive but not good with emotions. Then there's 17-year-old Andrew who has "classic" autism and, we're told, limited social skills. Nonetheless, he wastes no time in bonding with Claire, a 19-year-old with a fabulous voice but such low self-esteem she cries at the slightest criticism. Mollie, 11, spends the sessions crouching behind a curtain. I'm guessing (and hoping) that by the end of the series, she will have somehow magically blossomed."

This is a brand new documentary featuring people with a ASDs (this week will be focusing on 5 of the group of 9 - some with High Functioning Autism, Low Functioning Autism and "Classic Autism").

You can view this article in full H
ERE and/or at the channel 4 website HERE.

Details:
Date: Monday 12th April
Time: 8:00pm

Sound like the autism musical

EMZ=]

In my opinion, not paying attention to the opposition is bias in itself. Not all Channel 4 shows are bad but every once in a while Channel 4 will make a documentary purely to cause outrage and controversy. This particular documentary on Autism might be one of them.

I agree that showing that Autism is a spectrum is a good thing.

I think the content on the BBC is good, it's just complicated why I don't like it.
Channel 4 documentaries are probably always on sensitive subjects, but I do think compared to American TV channels and some content from UK channels they do an OK job at being impartial, or at least leaving the viewer to decide to an extent P:.
EMZ=]

You forgot something.   :D (Y)

Yeah, apparently some American TV shows are really bad, Fox TV comes to mind. I hope Channel 4 don't mess up this documentary on Autism. I might watch it anyway along with Autistic Me as I've never watched a documentary or movie on Autism.

TBH I think most autism documentaries fail because they don't pay attention the fact that every case is different. Autistic Me did in my opinion.
What did I miss :eek:?
EMZ=]

Adam and Ben X are my favourite. Simply because they don't romanticise/glorify the condition.
There are some others but meh to them.
EMZ=P

Are you messing with me?   :rofl:  I was referring to the "EMZ=P" is different from your usual "EMZ=]" and before that you left out your "(Y)" which you often post.

OH. Got it.
Yeah, tbh that just changes with my mood. Sometimes I do EMZ=P, EMZ=D(not so much anymore), EMZ=[, EMZ, EMZ=|, EMZ :S, EMZ=S.
Before that it was :)EMZ:) and before that just EMZ:).
I get it now :D.
But no I wasn't :p.
EMZ=]

I'm a very observant person - must be my AS - even my Auntie said I was.   B)

BTW that's a big selection of signatures to choose from.

New Threads

Top Bottom