• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Worried newbie

Ellie Rouse

Hi I have just joined this forum as I feel I need more people to talk to. I am 19 years old and autistic. I have many of the basic autistic traits for instance tick cough melt downs, lack of socializing , unable to regulate my food, difficulties using public transport , don't fully understand things that are being said to me , severe anxiety and many others.

In the last week or so I have been very frightened because my heart has been beating very fast and I thought I was going to die. My mum took me to A&E and they did lots of tests ecg, X-ray and blood test .They said it was a panic attack. My grandma has been doing a relaxation exercise by talking me into a quiet state of mind which really helps this helps me to sleep but then I have to start another day again. I'm now not able to eat properly and I really like my food. our GP has given me tablets to slow my heart rate and I'm seeing him again next week but I feel like I'm in a hole and I can't get out has any body else experienced this and if so what did they do to make things better ?

Welcome to AF.jpg

Hi I have just joined this forum as I feel I need more people to talk to. I am 19 years old and autistic. I have many of the basic autistic traits for instance tick cough melt downs, lack of socializing , unable to regulate my food, difficulties using public transport , don't fully understand things that are being said to me , severe anxiety and many others.

In the last week or so I have been very frightened because my heart has been beating very fast and I thought I was going to die. My mum took me to A&E and they did lots of tests ecg, X-ray and blood test .They said it was a panic attack. My grandma has been doing a relaxation exercise by talking me into a quiet state of mind which really helps this helps me to sleep but then I have to start another day again. I'm now not able to eat properly and I really like my food. our GP has given me tablets to slow my heart rate and I'm seeing him again next week but I feel like I'm in a hole and I can't get out has any body else experienced this and if so what did they do to make things better ?

Welcome to Autismforums. we are happy to have you here. :)

anyway, about this heart issue, it most likely is a panic attack, and it most likely is just high anxiety, which cases your heart to race, which then causes you to be more anxious.

i experienced that exact same issue, for several days, about a week ago. what ended it for me, is just being with someone i trusted, to help me feel less anxious and more relaxed. she also did her best to show me how to forcefully reduce my anxiety. after that, my racing heart ceased to be an issue.

find the source of the anxiety and the panic attacks, and then deal with that source, and then distract yourself from the heart as much as you can. dont think about it, and it will go away.

Hello Ellie Rouse =) Pleasure to meet you! I am looking forward to hear - that is to read more from you [apart from your introductionary issue].

I've had panic disorder for 3.5 years [on a daily basis...] I still live, although I thought I'd die within the first week. yes, I know: It feels panicky and very much so, very uncomfortable and it is very hard to calm one's thoughts: They get panicky too. Calming down is easily said yet not easily done. I am sure, however, that you'll quite soon find ways of relaxing: It's a matter of training the right technique and forgetting about it at the same time... the internet offers lots of ressources on such things. However, you could also seek some advice by a therapist, and maybe this would also help with your general anxiety and perhaps other common autistic problems.

So, don't worry too much =) Smile! at yourself in the mirror - smiling, lots of smiling at the mirror used to slow my racing heart within a minute or two... In any case: I whish lots of luck an strenght in finding a quick solution!

Yeah, panic attacks suck. I've only had one but I was sweating like crazy, my limbs went numb and tingled inbetween periods of crying and hyperventilating.

I'm assuming you're British which in that case you can self refer yourself for CBT for anxiety if you wish. That might help you. It's about 10 sessions long and you can meet other people struggling with it.

Welcome! Have you considered doing meditation in the morning to start your day off with calm? If your grandmother can help you sleep, maybe a similar acitvity in the morning or middle of the day would make your waking hours more tolerable.

I used to have that problem often with the heart due to anxiety attacks, I still do to some extent. I do meditation for it, but also find that when you're having a panic attack, whether it's two in the morning or two in the afternoon, you're better to get up and move. It's more likely to calm you down then sitting there thinking your heart is going to blow up. The movement seems to trick my brain into calming down, so it might work for you.

Last edited:
Hello Ellie

If you are in the UK, IAPT have an online self referral option for CBT.
CBT isn't about somebody fixing the problem for you, it's learning to help yourself by understanding the process of what's happening, how you can change it and then going ahead and changing things for yourself.

A panic attack can be shocking and frightening. Not knowing how to cope with the next one can be terrifying. When you see your doctor next week tell him you feel "stuck in a hole" and it's affected your eating habits.

Welcome to the site.

New Threads

Top Bottom