• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work, moving around = Stress & anxiety

Binary_Bark

This morning the owner of the company, C, came into the office. Seems to me some kind of issue, not much I can make out of what’s going on. First time that C has been to our offices since we moved to this new building

S was showing him around this morning, nice and early. When it came to the office I was using, C said good morning and get out, so me and A needs has to move out.

This whole idea of the owner of the company suddenly showing up and things being moved around has got me stressed out, with my anxiety levels through the roof.

Makes me think that there might be people losing their jobs, and I’m extremely worried that I might be one of them. This going through my mind has lifted my stress level way up high, including moving my desk twice before 8am this morning.

No one around seems to know what's going on, and I do not like knowing, because this then means I can’t plan and really do not adjust well to sudden change and news.

Nothing more has happened as yet since this morning, but the stress levels would stay up high during the entirety of the day and most probably tomorrow or until I can figure out what is going on or told.

This has forced me to start thinking or looking for new work, same field or the possibility of moving into a completely different field of work. Thinking about that just increases my anxiety and stress.

Not sure what to do at this moment, can’t get myself back into doing work and can’t explain current mood/ feelings, alas something I’ve always had trouble with. On the outside, I would look calm, but I’m screaming my own head off.

Not sure how to deal with all this sudden unannounced change and moving around of things. Maybe someone would have some insight or advice on this.

Another thought comes to mind to maybe start a blog, either here or with Wix.

I’m lost and stressed so much at the moment, does not seem to affect anyone else around me, but you know what they say about assuming.

Problem now with all this going on it's now starting to affecting me physically, feeling sick, shaking and wide-eyed panicking.

Think my rambling is done for now, or until I start thinking of something to add, which usually happens.

Last edited:
Just your description of them saying 'get out' to yourself and another employee who were at your desks doing your jobs for their company sounds profoundly disrespectful to me, and poor management of the worst kind. Is that the norm? Sorry to hear that if so.

It would be good to work on your reaction of panic, try calming yourself, for example by congratulating yourself on having coped so well with the poor behaviours of managers. You coped, but inevitably were disturbed and distracted by this bad management. Perhaps they are stressed too, hopefully you will learn more about the issues soon, but if this is an example of how it is where you work, there may easily be somewhere better I would think.

@Thinx, this kind of thing is sort of common in the company, just I'm usually left alone. But with things going on (as said in OP no one knows what's going on, and no one is being told anything at all) the stress levels are jumping, I'm panicking because no one knows what's going on, with this unknown and unwillingness to tell the staff anything.
As an aspie this is not working well with my constitution, at the moment I'm on the verge of bursting into tears.
Thing is, this seems to be something the directors knew about for a few weeks, but again, no communication to staff, nothing

Last edited:
With things like this for instance, I would go into a depressive state, no energy, tired and not eating anything for the next week.

Do you have an HR department? Set a 10 minute meeting with the director of HR. Explain to them what you have said here and ask if they can reassure you about the stability of your position. At this point they may not be able to give you any information but they may be able to help settle your nerves.

This company specializes in keeping employees in the dark. You are like mushrooms. Don't take this personally but maybe start putting out job feelers.

Fear of unknown can be a major stressor.
When you've reached the level of feeling physically sick you need to look at coping techniques to aid calming your system.

Companies will always make changes employees have absolutely no control over whatsoever.
That is completely out of our control.

We can choose to try to manage intense levels of anxiety, irrespective of cause.

If you can recognise how feeling physically sick from worry is a point at which you bring in calming techniques for your own health and sanity,
you'll feel more in control and trust yourself to cope with the many changes work will always introduce.

You're right. The way you've described how work have handled this situation was shocking to read. I also believed you deserved some sort of heads up, or explanation.

I was thinking more about how the levels of stress are damaging the various systems in your body right now and the after and ripple effects of such.

@Thinx, this kind of thing is sort of common in the company, just I'm usually left alone. But with things going on (as said in OP no one knows what's going on, and no one is being told anything at all) the stress levels are jumping, I'm panicking because no one knows what's going on, with this unknown and unwillingness to tell the staff anything.
As an aspie this is not working well with my constitution, at the moment I'm on the verge of bursting into tears.
Thing is, this seems to be something the directors knew about for a few weeks, but again, no communication to staff, nothing

It kinda sounds like their "management style" is to deliberately sow chaos and uncertainty. Keeps everyone in line and on their toes.

Either that, or they're just REALLY clueless about how to interact with humans.

In either case, you shouldn't put up with it. Start looking for another job. If this is how things always go, it's unlikely to get any better. (On the other hand, if it's just the owner, who rarely comes around, and the rest of the job and people are decent, stay and try to schedule vacation time when the owner is coming around lol.)

For now, if you have a direct supervisor you can talk to (that's cool, and not like the nitwits higher up) I would ask them if they know what's going on. They may not know and they may be in the same boat you're in, but they also may know more than you.

Something going on at higher management level and wanting to keep staff in the dark about it? I would start to look around for other employment if I were you.

It kinda sounds like their "management style" is to deliberately sow chaos and uncertainty. Keeps everyone in line and on their toes.

Either that, or they're just REALLY clueless about how to interact with humans.

In either case, you shouldn't put up with it. Start looking for another job. If this is how things always go, it's unlikely to get any better. (On the other hand, if it's just the owner, who rarely comes around, and the rest of the job and people are decent, stay and try to schedule vacation time when the owner is coming around lol.)

For now, if you have a direct supervisor you can talk to (that's cool, and not like the nitwits higher up) I would ask them if they know what's going on. They may not know, and they may be in the same boat you're in, but they also may know more than you.
I'm on the lookout, think I've been at the current place for too long.
Currently, the owner seems to be coming in everyday now, with reporting to superiors, I report directly to the GM.
Looking or changing a job is just as stress full, even for those not on the spectrum.
Think what I really need is a change of vocation.

Would be nice to work where the hours are quite flexible.

The job market needs warm bodies right now. This might be a great time to apply. Alot of companies are going out of business or down -sizing, espcially the more specialized service types.

The owner is plain rude. And if he is rude to you, he probably is rude to management. You may get some info from higher ups if they are worried about their jobs. So anybody who you click a little with, just ask them. Or they are expanding. That would be very positive.

I think it is a good time to make a change if that is what you want. There are a lot of people shifting fields right now so there are many opportunities. Good luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom