• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Will companion robots solve relationship problems in the future?

No. This absolutely wouldn't work for me. Let's take it a step beyond reality and say that they were able to make a lovebot that was indistinguishable from a real human, and an extremely attractive one at that. I am always going to be extremely aware that I am playing with a mechanized piece of equipment, and I would have a hard time not treating it as such. I think trying to pretend that there's a real connection between me and the doll would do more harm than good.

All of the little nuances, quirks, and qualities in a real woman that add the depth I need to fall deeply in love, would be missing. No inside jokes, no favorite songs to make the two of us conjure up memories of things we did in the past. I could never ask her how her day at work was. And speaking of... I had a girlfriend who would always text me right when I got off work, genuinely wanting to know how I was doing. As soon as it came through, my day became better, even if my phone was still in my back pocket and I hadn't seen what she had written yet. I knew that someone cared. A similar text sent by a companion robot would feel exactly the same as an auto-generated appointment reminder from the dentist.

Yes, perhaps these kinds of things might (and maybe already do) appeal to a certain subset of people, and if it somehow makes their world a better place, I see nothing wrong with that.

No. This absolutely wouldn't work for me.
Even if the A.I. driving the bot would pass the Turing Test "with flying colors"?

It scares me to think that one day, sentient sexbots indistinguishable from humans would be sent by their owners prowl the bars, beaches, and other "meet markets" looking for clients to fleece for their money.

I am just worried l would spill hot coffee on my personal robot because he was trying grab my hand or hug me. Or l would be trying to figure out ways to short-circuit it, because it's a machine. I mean the temptation is there to quantify what exactly it's limitations are. But if l heard a noise in the middle of the nite? I would send the bot to check the doors and windows, and make a nice latte for me. Can't say l would really want it in bed with me as a silicone latex man, that just may be weird. Like would l program my nites as headache nites, meaning no interaction needed? Men may actually be better at that transition. There are certain men that can never ever be replaced by a robot, referring to the last ND guy l met. Now l just want to write a comedy built around mishaps with my bot. It just might be amusing.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom