• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Will companion robots solve relationship problems in the future?

Magna

V.I.P Member
In relation to it's magnitude, people in the U.S. in the age range of approx 18-30 have never reported having such a widespread issue of finding a partner to the degree currently seen. This is supported by fact and in relation to the number of people in that age range that are single (and don't want to be) vs. in any prior generation.

Both men and women are apparently finding it challenging in general.

I think there's a high probability that companion A.I. robots will become commonplace in the not too distant future for both sexes and likely will solve many of the problems faced today (as well as create new problems). The technology isn't "there" at present, but I'm guessing the idea of an extremely realistic human companion will have appeal to a lot of people if widely available. If so, that could lessen or even eliminate a lot of the woe currently experienced by a staggering number of people today.

I'm guessing no because it's a machine. No matter how realistic they are, it's just a pile of metal and plastic that was bolted together in a factory in China to make money. But human beings can be weird so maybe it will work?

It's a interesting thought. I know l cook way better then robots, so my guy friend loves to eat, and l am always coming up with new ideas. He inspires me.

I hope not, because I don't think it would be good overall. But, I can't disagree with you. If there is a way to do it, then I think people would embrace it. The internet is a movement in that direction, and we cling to it despite its issues. (Not that it doesn't have some benefits.)

When I think of the possibility of such technology, my first thought is just how intelligent such a device must be to safely fulfill its objective. Scary thought for anyone having watched the British tv series "Humans".

That precipice of where intelligent robots suddenly grasp the concept of slavery with very unpleasant results.

Art imitating our future?

Then again a film got there before the series "Humans". It's called "Blade Runner".

Last edited:
When they make a robot that belittles me and uses me for money, then I'll be impressed!
Yep. First I'd be impressed.

But my next thought would be to run as fast as I can away from them.

Luckily I doubt I'll be around to face that possible future. But seriously, if one is contemplating "sex-bots", you should see how they are viewed upon in the series "Humans". Pretty on the outside, lethal on the inside. The ultimate "one-night stand" for an unsuspecting john.

Last edited:
Forgot about one episode of the second edition of the tv series "The Outer Limits". Where a disabled scientist is offered his own such robot. With great reluctance, he brings her into his household. At first it's far beyond what he expected. However his new "fully-functional girlfriend" becomes more human than anticipated. resulting in jealousy and rage on a non-human level.

I guess the bottom line of fully-functioning companion robots is much like that of the futuristic "West World".

- "Where nothing can go wrong."

Say hello to my new companion robot. I call her Sigrid. She keeps me company and has only tried to kill me four times. :D

iu

Sexbots will no doubt be a thing. But it will never replace human skin contact. We have a physical need to press flesh, and become lethargic and depressed without it. Another sad downgrade in the human condition.

Eh, I'll prefer my dogs, cats, and horses (and even the mice)- they all have mammalian brains similar to mine.
Stepford Wife? No, no, no............

Eh, I'll prefer my dogs, cats, and horses (and even the mice)- they all have mammalian brains similar to mine.
Stepford Wife? No, no, no............
Yeah. A new model might be nice, but I can't say I liked their trade-in policy.

Interesting to consider Hollywood's uptake over such an issue. Decidedly negative overall. Not like we can watch a sitcom about a happy single guy and his happy android girlfriend.

Last edited:
Scary thought.. A.I. would quickly figure out the easiest way to exploit humans eek. Good movie btw... that and Ex Machina

Last edited:
Scary thought.. A.I. would quickly figure out the easiest way to exploit humans eek. Good movie btw... that and Ex Machina

First we build the robots, then we create the A.I, then the A.I takes control of the robots. :fearscream: A very typical human screw up. We have done things like this so many times before, we think we know what we are doing, until we don't.

They already have those life like sex dolls over in Japan. Whats next. We upgrade them to be a robot/animatronic with a dash of A.I.

I'm not saying I think a human/robot relationship for everyone is likely in the future. But for many who have difficulty or zero success at seeking a mate may very well be perfectly happy having a robot companion with future technology advancements in the field that might make such a solution not only realistic but perhaps to a good number of people, even desirable.

On a related note, I've read that PCA (Personal Care Attendant) robots have been more or less "beta tested" in Japan. These are robots that assist in caring for elderly in nursing homes where residents in such facilities can be achingly lonely and can require intense care 24/7. What would be better between the two options: 1) Overworked, burned out, underpaid human staff that can barely keep up let alone actually visit with residents? or 2) Reliable, attentive, PCA robots who could actually carry on conversations with lonely residents?

On a related note, I've read that PCA (Personal Care Attendant) robots have been more or less "beta tested" in Japan. These are robots that assist in caring for elderly in nursing homes where residents in such facilities can be achingly lonely and can require intense care 24/7. What would be better between the two options: 1) Overworked, burned out, underpaid human staff that can barely keep up let alone actually visit with residents? or 2) Reliable, attentive, PCA robots who could actually carry on conversations with lonely residents?

If I'm lonely I don't need a robot, I need human contact. A robot is just a machine, it's not company. Don't want to talk to a machine. I imagine it's the same for elderly who are lonely. If the workers are overworked, underpaid and burned out, the authorities have messed something up badly. Those problems can easily be fixed.

If I'm lonely I don't need a robot, I need human contact. A robot is just a machine, it's not company. I imagine it's the same for elderly who are lonely. If the workers are overworked, underpaid and burned out, the authorities have messed something up badly. Those things can easily be fixed.
Agreed. Reminds me of certain technologies I avoid. Like my car or my computer that could talk back to me.

I don't care for that as I know it's a machine and not a sentient being. No matter how old I get. For those kind of functions I'm fine with simply flipping a switch or pressing a button. The technology will improve, but that doesn't mean my attitude towards it would inevitably evolve at a similar rate.

Talking to a pet and getting a simple response back would be more rewarding in comparison.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom