• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do Humans believe in the Existence of God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunarious

ASD 1 Abdicated Aspergers
V.I.P Member

There's a series going on on YT called Shia Beliefes. This is episode 5:​

Sounds like a 12-14 week university course and not a simple question to answer. I am thinking we would have to go back to a time when we were roaming the plains of Africa, as primitive man, to get a better understanding of the foundations.

This teacher or Imam speaks much Clearer than autistic videoes or any videoes, in English. He is Shia like me, and we come from far away.

Interesting that people are so willing to believe we once roamed the plains of Africa as primitive man rather than believe in God.

I'm pretty sure it's because believing in a powerful, controling deity is easier that believing that, like the raccoons and opossum and pine trees and ticks and dandelions, we're all on our own.

Maybe an explanation for why anything exists. We know a lot more now about the natural world than we used to, obviously. Going back thousands of years people might have looked around themselves and wondered where it all came from. Then they might have guessed that a creator was the way it happened. It couldn't have come from nowhere, they might have thought, so some creator must have done it.

I don't think the idea of god makes much sense now though. It's not really a coherent idea, in my opinion. God is supposed to be some kind of supernatural spirit, but that just seems like nonsense to me - there's no such thing as a pure spirit.

Of course there are still unanswered questions, including the one I mentioned above - why does anything exist? It may be that there are some questions we can't answer and that may be one of them. The fact that we can't answer it doesn't indicate to me that there's a god though.

It might also be the case that people don't want to think that life and the world are in some way meaningless, some kind of random occurrence. That there's no greater cosmic meaning to life.

I'm pretty sure it's because believing in a powerful, controling deity is easier that believing that, like the raccoons and opossum and pine trees and ticks and dandelions, we're all on our own.
Out of curiosity, why is there only one opossum?

The fact that an explanation is beneficial in some way doesn't disprove it. Otherwise, we'd have disproven oxygen, food, and this forum!

Sounds like a 12-14 week university course and not a simple question to answer. I am thinking we would have to go back to a time when we were roaming the plains of Africa, as primitive man, to get a better understanding of the foundations.
I agree that it would take much longer to discuss this sort of topic than simply exchanging emotionally charged blog posts. I recall taking a semester of epistemology (what is true?) back in college. I would say very few people use a consistent approach when discovering the reality of anything. Most people just fall into a makeshift blend of many approaches then finally resort to using the whatever "feels/seems" right approach.

A really quick rundown of some of the basic approaches can be found here:
Seven Approaches to Finding the Truth.

Before trying to prove or disprove anything, there kind of needs to be a basic approach to finding truth in general. It has long been my experience, that people can seldom even do that. However, until that happens, not sure there is much point in discussing the ontology of a God or gods.

I'm not discussing. I'm sharing with people here, as of take it or leave it. ... Because i can't mix disciplines according to instructions.

Your way of speaking mr. SeanF is a hard one to easily grasp. Often things are hard to grasp?

Primitive humans had no explanation as to how the natural world works other than to assign the actions as those of deities. Sun, Moon, Stars, Wind, Storms, earthquakes and other natural disasters. To me it seems elementary that early humans would have assigned the unexplained/unexplainable to deities.

Primitive humans had no explanation as to how the natural world works other than to assign the actions as those of deities. Sun, Moon, Stars, Wind, Storms, earthquakes and other natural disasters. To me it seems elementary that early humans would have assigned the unexplained/unexplainable to deities.
Maybe, but they could have just said "we don't know".

Ahem... Not all humans believe in a god or gods, not now and not before. Some cultures worshiped the sun and the stars, not a god like the one we think of now in most common religions.

My best guess is uncertainty: we're meaning-making machines so everything needs a why. Believing that we are here for no reason, only a series of coincidences that created life is not satisfactory. The concept of a god reduces that uncertainty, even if it's a fiction.

I'm not discussing. I'm sharing with people here, as of take it or leave it. ... Because i can't mix disciplines according to instructions.

Your way of speaking mr. SeanF is a hard one to easily grasp. Often things are hard to grasp?
To my understanding, the original post asked, "Why do humans believe in the existence of god," not "what" or "who" do they believe that God to be. Too often posts about the higher power of any religious affiliation devolve into a sabre rattling contest about one particular religion or another. I was merely trying to direct the discussion into a more productive path in terms of answering the question asked.

Humans generally like to have answers to things.
Yep, but many things do not have answers. A lot of things are random. In a universe that is close to 14 billion years old -- a timeline that my brain can't even imagine, there is a good chance we're here for no reason. We're a random event with no god directing the process.

Yep, but many things do not have answers. A lot of things are random. In a universe that is close to 14 billion years old -- a timeline that my brain can't even imagine, there is a good chance we're here for no reason. We're a random event with no god directing the process.
Enjoy the ride....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom