• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do complete strangers come right up to me...

Tell those people to eff off.
I ignore them and do my own thing anyway, or tell them to mind their own business if I think that they are interfering and being rude. It's easy to come up with things I can tell them in restrospect, but not always so easy at the time.

I have gotten a few people like that come up to me,I have had people sit next to me while waiting for a bus or train and literally tell me their whole life story,also there is a sushi bar where I live and sometimes the owners elderly mother is there and she seems to like talking to me even though I am quiet,on the flip side I have also have had some very scary incidents where I have been sexually harassed and even had a guy follow me and my brother almost to our home which caused major anxiety for me.

I'm sorry about the sexual harassment. Like I said, even though our innocence and childlike nature can attract motherly attention, it also can attract attention from predatory people with sinister intentions. Female aspies aren't really taught how to spot and fight off these people, but the world's full of men who seek women to manipulate and use so it absolutely needs to be taught.

It has to do with location more than anything. In some areas people just talk to you, in others you are ignored unless someone finds you attractive. Of course, being repulsive or dangerous looking means not even the most chatty elderly village ladies will start talking to you unless they know you.

When I'm bored I'm also the kind of weirdo to start talking to strangers. I once had a talk with a 7 foot tall communist on the bus, it's amazing what you can learn about people from a 40 minute conversation. Better than sitting there and looking out the window.

I would be pretty baffled too. I get they were probably trying to be nurturing, but still that's inappropriate to do without asking first. Were these people you knew? Or strangers?

One I knew in passing the other one I did not know. I was in my early 20’s but i always looked like I was in my teens.

It's not possible to control the actions and thoughts of strangers, and I don't believe you should have to look, speak, or behave differently to keep people from approaching you. Looking mean and angry might draw a different kind of attention. For your personal self-esteem, remain precisely who you are. Pleasant comments and a desire to chat are some of the things people do to entertain themselves. Some people do it because they are nervous or want someone to converse with. It isn't too difficult to give a polite response to a person who tries to start a conversation, but you don't have to jump in as if you are hungry of conversation also. Polite acknowledgement of the person's presence is easy, but you don't have to feed the conversation by contributing more than basic pleasantries. Depending upon the situation of the disturbance, you can make it clear that you would rather be doing what you are doing without any chit-chat. Put your attention where you want it to be.

New Threads

Top Bottom