• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who to talk too?

Being a 13 year old kid with asbergers syndrome is confusing for me, and I have no one to talk to about it. I can't talk to my parents, they never understand me as if I was just a normal kid who acts weird, they always say things like "you can move on, it's no big deal" or "no, you don't think that way, no one does" as if they are in denial of my condition. My siblings aren't any better to talk to either, they always get angry at me for telling them a thought I have. The best thing I have to talk to is my ferret (probably my only "friend" who dosen't judge me for who I am and I don't get awkward around every 5 seconds). And I am WAY to shy to even talk to anyone in school. So I came here to see if anyone could offer help. Any advice?

... they always say things like "you can move on, it's no big deal" or "no, you don't think that way, no one does.

What you said reminded me of my parents. They acted
like they thought they could see right into my head. My father said stuff like
how he knew all about me because he had known me since I was a baby when he changed my
diapers.

That doesn't make sense. It's not like the contents of my brain was in my diapers.

My mother used to tell me what I wanted to do. Like when I would go to the front door because
I was thinking of going out to play, she'd say "You don't want to go out." What she meant was
that she didn't want me to go out. When I got old enough to talk about that, she thought it
was funny. Wasn't so funny when I was little. I thought maybe I didn't really know what I wanted
or that somehow people could see inside my head.

But when I really would have liked for them to know what I thought, they didn't seem to be able
to see inside my head at all.

Hi there!

I am rather a lot older than you, but I can certainly get where you are coming from, for I had similar said to me, which just adds to the confusion.

You have come to the right place. Search out: Gracie13 who as her name suggests, is, I believe the same age as yourself. There are others and then, there are older ones, such as myself.

Hopefully soon, you will find aspiecentral a support system that you so sorely need.

My husband is the one who refuses to accept I am an aspie!

We are only an email away!

Welcome aboard, Rodentrecorder!

Just so you know; it's spelled Aspergers, not asbergers.

Spelling lesson aside, I am rather curious as to these thoughts that nobody is supposed to have. I love ideas, and perhaps you will find that you are not so alone in having them.

Hi, its my opinion that most family members don't understand how we aspies work so to speak, I've kind of gone through the same thing recently, having just found out I have aspergers. My mum's just dismissed it. Nobody can understand you better than you so try not to dwell on their opinion to much, what is important though is a lot of people here have been through similar things. We're all here to help and get advice it's what this forums about.

You have a ferret, that's cool. I used to have a few gerbils when I was your age.

All through school I hardly talked to anyone, I had a few friends but when I left I had no contact with them anymore. I've accepted the way I am now and actually rather being on my own.

Being a 13 year old kid with asbergers syndrome is confusing for me, and I have no one to talk to about it. I can't talk to my parents, they never understand me as if I was just a normal kid who acts weird, they always say things like "you can move on, it's no big deal" or "no, you don't think that way, no one does" as if they are in denial of my condition. My siblings aren't any better to talk to either, they always get angry at me for telling them a thought I have. The best thing I have to talk to is my ferret (probably my only "friend" who dosen't judge me for who I am and I don't get awkward around every 5 seconds). And I am WAY to shy to even talk to anyone in school. So I came here to see if anyone could offer help. Any advice?

There was a time when I was thirteen and experienced much the same as you're talking about now. My solution was to start a journal, I would write down each day the things that I had accomplished or found difficult, or questions I had that weren't being answered.

I found, after a while, that when I looked back over what I written days or months earlier, I could answer some of the questions myself. It may sound trite, but it's not as it taught me to look to my own answers and take time to figure my own path out. I still keep a journal after all these years, and it still serves it's purpose.

There will always be those who do not understand us, for whatever reason, but it's important that we understand ourselves. You have youth on your side, that can be a blessing and a curse, many times it will be your actions that decide which is which.

At least you have us here at AC if things get tough, it's a great place to chill out :)

Just hang in there being 13 was hard for me too. I was very limited in the friends that I would talk to and now I realize that I was different from them. Not a bad different but just being who I was. I think it is good that you have a ferret to talk to because they just listen and don't judge. Remember that we think differently that most people so what we are thinking might be a little off, random, or different. Plus by being on here you are interacting with people.

I agree with Harrison about the journal. I did that too, though it was more of a sketchbook/visual notebook, I'm not very good at getting my thoughts out in words unless prompted (like in a forum thread).

So any way in which you can do some sort of daily journal will be beneficial. It is a way of communicating and sorting things out with yourself, past, present and future.

I also spent a lot of time with our dog, riding my bike and reading.

I am sorry you have no one yet irl. But hopefully that will come in time. There may be others in school similar to you, that are also shy too. If you see someone that looks like that, that looks like they also could use a friend, maybe try to say some small thing to them.

One thing to always remember, is that if it fails, no Social Police will come and take you away or sell you to the Martians. Failures come more frequently then success. I sometimes think success is just eventually failing at failing.

But in the meantime, this is a good place to join in conversations. Aspies seem to have less barrier to communication between ages but also I know there are others your age here, so keep your eye out for them. Nice Ferret! I am guessing that is your pet in your Avatar. I have small dogs and they are also good companions to me.

When I try to talk to people about things that I have a problem with or don't understand, like being lonely, they say that everyone feels like that sometimes.
Well I feel like it all the time.. I've always felt like it.
When I say this they say that it just seems like that to me right now.
Does this mean they think that I'm just like them and Aspergers doesn't exist?
They don't answer..
If so, why do they keep saying that I shouldn't think/talk/act the way I do?
If not, why aren't I like them?

When I came here I found that, while everyone has their own interests and ideas and different ways of expressing them, they are also more like me and I have people to talk to now whenever I want and I'm not so lonely any more. :)

Well I'm 18 and I still remember my early teenage years vividly. I am on here often and you could talk to me if you'd like. Also, the chat room is full of nice people going through the same problems you may be. If not, it still is good support. It has helped me already in the short time I've had my account.

If you need people to talk to, you've come to the right place. We may all be of different ages and from different countries and backgrounds, but we've all been through similar experiences, so we all understand each other and don't judge. So feel free to ask any questions you may have, or talk about any problems you have :)

New Threads

Top Bottom