• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who else keeps computer muted?

Always have the volume off including when playing games.
just wish I could get the washing machine not to beep at the end of its cycle.

Always muted.

I remember when my son was little and it seemed like every relative would buy him toys that beeped, and played music...and they were sooo LOUD.

I would sit there at night with a screwdriver and take the backs off and tape over the speaker grills from the inside to dull the sound to a more "tolerable" level.

The first person who can invent a master remote for life with a mute button is going to be a billionaire IMO....just aim and press mute. :p

Yes! I don't like hearing the windows chime when it boots up. My phone is turned down too. I do miss the occasional call but that's what voicemail is for and I can call them back when I'm ready for conversation.

Sometimes I turn the volume up to hear something and forget to turn it back down or off. Then I'll switch over to a game and the music starts and it's like I can't hit the mute button fast enough. It's not until later in the day that I'm ready to turn the tv or music on.
My ten year old Aspies daughter has always done that with her toys. She

I do like that while many online media presentations launch on their own, some leave the volume off by default. A compromise, but at least it shows some degree of restraint. :)

Last edited:
Sometimes I turn the volume up to hear something and forget to turn it back down or off. Then I'll switch over to a game and the music starts and it's like I can't hit the mute button fast enough. It's not until later in the day that I'm ready to turn the tv or music on.
Yes my 10 year old Aspies daughter has always done that with her toys. She has some lovely toys, some of which are doll's or singing and talking animal toys that she wants. But rather than play with them playing their singing /talking /phrase saying features, she will always swith them off. If we as her parents switch them on to have a look at them or whilst playing with her she will immediately take the toy off us and switch it off.

From my point of view as a recently diagnosed Aspie, I have always disliked most music and loud noise. For example I am a HGV Driver and spend many hours sat in my lorry driving. I obviously have the stereo on but always have it tuned to a talk radio station such as Radio 4 rather than a music playing station.

Yes my 10 year old Aspies daughter has always done that with her toys. She has some lovely toys, some of which are doll's or singing and talking animal toys that she wants. But rather than play with them playing their singing /talking /phrase saying features, she will always swith them off. If we as her parents switch them on to have a look at them or whilst playing with her she will immediately take the toy off us and switch it off.

Hi-tech. <sigh>

In my day toys usually had strings you have to pull to get them to say something.

Usually confined to just a sentence or two. :p

Yes, I have all non-essential beeps and sound notifications switched off. These are all just iritating, unnecessary noise. It drives me mad if, for example, I'm in a waiting room and someone is receiving Twitter or Facebook sound notifications all the time. Grrr!!

I do! I could not stand loud tv commercials so I got rid of tv in my home. I control my environment as much as possible. Carry ear plugs too.

Always have the volume off including when playing games.
just wish I could get the washing machine not to beep at the end of its cycle.
Try Googling your brand and type of washing machine. Some machines have the possibility to turn off the beeping by pressing certain buttons at the same time for instance. (I still have to try this for our new washing machine, but I managed it for the old one.)

almost always keep muted, but do like to have a good time here, and there will play music videos on youtube, next day swearing at myself, other than that just plug in headphones for certain sites

I'm the same way!!!! I mean I do use volume if I'm watching a video or something but if I forget to turn it off them the next time I hear it without expecting it. And then I usually scream or something I don't like unexpected noise

I have to keep it muted due to so many sites having ads and videos that play automatically when a user lands on the page. I'm trying to read something but can't unless I don't have to listen to some stupid ad.

New Threads

Top Bottom