• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What type of obsessions do you have?

Hey me too! If I want an answer to something I HAVE TO KNOW. And then I can't get it out of my head for ages.

me too. I have had so many obsessions of this kind, wikipedia and youtube....

I have this bad/ annoying obsession of self analysis which I have had for about 9 years :( I just can't seem to stop.

I have loads of other obsessions as well that come and go.

Self-analysis is one of those life-long obsessions innit. After twigging that I may have aspergers thats been a pretty damn consistent obsession. Come and gone obsessions in ascending chronological order would include my push-car "brum", collecting animal shaped soap (lol), Ultima Online, Medieval artifacts (managed to get a short sword and a crappy french helmet), ethnic music, Dog statuettes.., Guitar picks or 'plectrums', beer coasters, Hippy/tribal sh**, buddhas and most recently this website and wrong planet; oh and caribbean cookery.

oh gosh and modern warfare 2, ricky gervais and alan partridge and this week Oblivion =)

I've not got diagnosed yet, currently waiting to find someone in my area of the States who has experience in Aspergers. But this is about obsessions, well the first obsession I think I had was regarding Spy themed anything, I was obsessed with spy stuff, then in my attempt to rid me of my fear of the wind I became obsessed with weather, then I had a very unhealthy obsession with CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, (still do in some regard) now I have a crazy obsession with the x main character/actor of CSI William Petersen also coupled with my obsession of Asperger Syndrome, ever since I suspected I had it I've been obsessed, that's how I found this forum, searching for hours on end on google, and youtube. My obsessions takes up a lot of my time, and I don't like having them a times, because I feel like I've missed out on some things. I've spent so much money, flying to see Billy in his plays, buying all the seasons, the science kits, his movies, autograph pictures...i get great joy from just learning information on it/about him, a new fact i learn, I get so excited i have to run around the run or gallop is more like it, but I do realize that it is unhealthy and does cause me downfall in school (still in highschool). There are times when my mind goes to my obsession in class and I totally miss the lesson, or I don't do homework because i can't tear myself away from my computer because im reading CSI fanfiction.

I love what Im obsessed with, I just don't like the level at which im obsessed with it.

My biggest one has been the Holocaust, Second World War from when I was about 7 to 11, and the 60s in between that, also guinea pigs and eating disorders. The Partridge Family and the Babysitters Club (preteen book series), normalcy, certain people. Then more recently it's been ASDs, shampoo ingredients (of all things!), The Truth About Cats and Dogs (film) and in the last month Girl, Interrupted (film). I don't know what it is with the last one, I don't identify with any of the characters or anything and I don't relate to it much, but there's just something about it. Plus it's set in the 60s. I've also been obsessed with what I called "the other world" in the past, just something I believed in, I don't think about it much anymore. It wasn't really something out of my imagination, it was a very wooden, one sided thing.
Sometimes I'll get stuck in a rut of watching TV series like Gilmore Girls or ELR over and over, but I don't think it constitutes an obsession, everyone likes TV series!
When I'm in the middle of an obsession, time just seems to stop...until I look up and 5 hours have passed since I first clicked on that fascinating website on parabens...I always feel a certain fondness for them, but when it's ended I can't conjure up the same level of enthusiasm for them again.

So not really a type...definately not sciencey/maths things (apart from the shampoo thing).

I'm not sure where to put this, Aspies or here. But this is about obsessions.

I have noticed that whenever I have an obsession, it's always with movies. I seem to target movies. And any other obsessions I have are related to that movie obsession. I was obsessed with 101 Dalmatians for a while but I was also obsessed with London and Dalmatians, that's because it was related to that movie. If I have a special interest, it's also related to the movie I'm obsessed with.

But I notice some other aspies don't get obsessed with movies and they get obsessed with topics instead like history such as the civil war, world war two but it's not from a movie they are obsessed with. Some get obsessed with other topics like space or cars, or trains and some get obsessed with objects such as washing machines, door knobs, keys, lights and it's not from a movie they are obsessed with.

But with me I usually target movies as my obsession and anything related to it I tend to get obsessed with or have as my special interest. I've known a few other aspies who got obsessed with movies too and I have one aspie friend who gets obsessed with movies and TV shows and he is also obsessed with sports. But his sports obsession isn't related to any movies because he grew up with sports. But it makes him target movies with baseball in it. I bought him A League of Their Own for Christmas.

I rarely got obsessed with other things that weren't related to a movie. I was obsessed with video games in my teens and it came from no movie. Same as being obsessed with Barbies.

What do your obsessions target?

I've had a life-long obsession with the film The Fearless Vampire Killers (dir. Roman Polanski, 1966). To me it's just the perfect film, and I even used to dress like one of the characters, Professor Abronsius. I love the musical score to it as well and figured out how to play it on a Stylophone :)

I get obsessed with characters or places. When I watch a movie or read a book I'm always singling out a character or two that I really like and I focus on them for the whole story. I like to browse landscape photos and I always just stare at the ones I really like and wish to be there.
Sometimes I also get object obsessions too. I love scented candles and books. They excite me.
And I've had my fair share of obsessions with people, too... I consider myself a stalker.

The last movie I was obsessed with was Pirates of the Caribbean, and now I'm just obsessed with cinema in general, and can never shake away a half-remembered face of an actor when I'm watching something.

I'm also obsessed with linguistics, and love hearing things like the fact that "kindergarten" is a word and a concept that countries have happily plucked from Nazi Germany.

My obsession is graphic novels and related films collectables but mainly
The Dark Knight himself I have a huge library of batman novels and collectables. It takes up a lot of my time as I can't stop buying the books as they are so interesting and make me feel good

I understand where you come from with an obsession with a specific movie (watching it several times a day, talking about it a lot, etc). This happened when I saw Jack Reacher, Phone Booth, Falling Down, and Men In Black 2. One thing I've noticed about all of these is that they are focused on one (or two) characters who live a life that is separate and more empowered (either by skills, equipment, or training) from mainstream life. I predict that I enjoyed these movies as an escape from how dreary life can sometimes seem. Whenever I get back into my main hobby, being computers (software development, security, and gaming for the most part), I find my movie obsessions quickly go away. I think for me, it will be key to focus on something important (like my job, or a relationship), and I risk losing that if I don't give it enough focus. One technique I've developed is to mentally "re-motivate" myself on the area of my life needing improvement, mostly by recalling all the positives of that area.

I have a number of 'acceptable' obsessions and a couple that people consider weird, twisted, abnormal, etc.

Writing, music, movies (specifically martial arts, horror, and hard to find movies), cars/hot rodding, auto racing, videogames off and on, the supernatural, skulls, the macabre, and straitjackets. It's that last one that really throws people for a loop.

My obsessions are always with fiction, normally books, but occasionally TV programmes. I am currently obsessed with Tolkein, and am reading the Lord of the Rings for the 46th time (oh dear what am I doing with my life :sweatsmile:). I still hold on to the hope that I might one day develop an interest in something useful :disrelieved:

When I was younger, I had an obsession with astronomy, space, and sci fi. Before that, it was experiments and inventions. Then later, I started developing obsessions with specific foreign countries, their languages, cultue, history, etc. Often these started through music. I found music I liked from a foreign country and then became obsessed with the music and wanted to understand the lyrics and that meant learning the language, and from there it expanded to the country itself and culture.

learning with a major desire for creation. i've had plenty of things that i seemed really interested in to everybody.. even myself at times. but i eventually realized it's just because it was a new thing to me that i wanted to learn. i don't do much creating anymore and it bothers me SO much but i've lost all my free time to even try to do so (i am working on fixing that)..

I appear to have several "obsessions", one, a long time recurrent one, is fire stations and my tendency to notice what kinds of trucks or cars the duty personnel are driving, for example, by numbers, trucks seem to preponderate by about 3 to 1, and I have been wondering why.
I am also obsessed with the crows, whom I watch and feed on a daily basis.
It is not clear if this is possible, but I currently suspect that I am obsessed with new vocabulary words, since I have three dictionaries that send me a new word each day, which I really love.

I have an addiction for computers, games, technology, programming and archery, I wouldn't be able to handle one day without getting very restless without it.

These are the only hobbies I know, people has tried to introduce new hobbies to me but everything else feels like an empty hole and I just need to get back to my own stuff.

I don't think I'm obsessed with anything, but I like to gather & dispense information.
Here is an example:

'When a hipster sees someone else grooving on the thing they love, their reaction is to say “Oh, crap, now the wrong people like the thing I love.” When a geek sees someone else grooving on the thing they love, their reaction is to say “ZOMG YOU LOVE WHAT I LOVE COME WITH ME AND LET US LOVE IT TOGETHER.”'
Who Gets To Be a Geek? Anyone Who Wants to Be | Whatever

Some of my recent obsessions are: cephalopods, Darwinian evolution, the history of comics and anime, and table tope role playing games.

New Threads

Top Bottom