• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Luck!

Gerald Wilgus

V.I.P Member
As you may know, I am a Big Brother to an 18 year old autistic boy (I suspect ASD-2). Last year I started him cycling on trails around us. He has an upright trike, single speed, so struggles at times. Plus, I consider upright delta trikes as being inherently unstable, especially cornering. Friends were getting rid of a Catrike, Road, a tadpole recumbent trike. So, they decided to let Kelly have it. It is in the shop being fitted for him and I wanted it checked out. Aluminum frame, already set up with a rack, 21 speed, disk brakes with locks, mirror. computer. I will gift it to him once he graduates HS. It is a nice entry level trike. I am going to enjoy having him ride faster, farther with it this summer.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a stable ride! I bet he'll love it.
They are fun rides. I have had mine up on two wheels when cornering. The only thing is that climbing hills one cannot use their weight like on a regular bike and it is all muscle, so I am not speedy on hills, though its aerodynamics make it very fast on the downhills.

Great that you are mentoring him. Have you seen a noticeable difference in his outlook in general? What takeaways have you noticed about yourself? Just curious. Only answer if you wish.

Great that you are mentoring him. Have you seen a noticeable difference in his outlook in general? What takeaways have you noticed about yourself? Just curious. Only answer if you wish.
When he feels disrespected he goes into revenge mode. I am making progress in having him rethink this, but it is hard work. He socializes almost entirely with his very restricted special interests, which I understand. My patience is certainly being challenged at times. It is hard work, but his parents think I am making a difference with him. I like that he wants to do more cycling with me, and I am really happy that I have snagged a sophisticated trike for him that will serve him well for a while.

I am happy that I was never as dysfunctional socially as he is, yet recognize how many hurdles I had to overcome to have the life I enjoy now.

That's great that you have helped him so much. It teaches me to be more compassionate with people who are socially awkward. There are a lot of us.

That's great that you have helped him so much. It teaches me to be more compassionate with people who are socially awkward. There are a lot of us.
Socially Awkward R Us. I am learning that if I feel triggered, I do not see my life from that perspective of that hurt younger man I was, but look at it from my current perspective that the hurdles I overcame made me the success I am now.

Which is why I feel happy reading the progress @Tony Ramirez is making in finding acceptance, care and love in his life. I think that we all deserve that. Working with Kelly I recognize just how much connection can help us.

New Threads

Top Bottom