• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

what is your stim?

Hello rolo, let me clear that one up for you as it took me a while to learn as well.

@ is the symbol for the word at, as found in an e-mail address: Billybob @ hotmail.com

In this particular reference it means that the post is in reply to another post that may have been a while ago and others have posted afterwards, so it defines that it isn't a reply to the last post.

I hope that helps to explain it and not make it less understandable LOL

Last edited:
Arashi- I have read your post again and looked at what Gemendosi has written-some of my stims, had I ever done them at work, would have gotten me instantly fired-sadly they always found other reasons to let me go in the end though-I certainly did not mean to cause you any offense-I merely looked at a pattern and commented on it-some stims are passive in nature others can seem to be a little more aggressive in their outcomes-as long as you do not hurt yourself there would be little cause for concern. some of my behaviours in the past were definately on the self harm scale-just to reiterate I am in no way trying to press your buttons or deliberately cause you upset-if for some reason you find my posts irritating or offensive I will of course cease to communicate- just because we are all on the spectrum does not mean we will necessarily agree or get on-character clashes occur in our world just as in the neurotypical world.

I noticed you Used @Rolo- was that a form of annoyance? as in talking at someone rather than to them or even having a go at someone? I am not down with the nuances of computer chatting /forum and do not get all the subtleties

Just to Clarify Rolo doing something like @Rolo means you indicate that you are talking to a specific person rather than to the general thread people. It is not a form of annoyance or having a go. It is merely away to communicate to whom you are speaking if you are trying to speak directly to someone in a thread that way people know what your own post is directed toward.

I am a very understanding person. I know that we are all different and that people can clash. Its not something personal we just don't have to agree and there are things we do agree on. As to the stimming behavior. Yes I monitor my behavior and tend to try to only do certain stims while at work. That is what Gomendosi is saying is more what I was trying to express and I thought it was sweet that my friend at work thought it would be fun to make a list.

Last edited:
Stim of the day: putting my elbows on the table & my face in my hands & zoning out for brief intervals. This isn't the same thing as a tired person resting their face & eyes; it sort of makes me feel separate from the world around me & off in my own space.

Smelling my hands or fingers, especially after it comes into contact with another part of my body. I am SO glad I've only had one other person catch me in the act of doing that, its one of those things I REALLY don't want to advertise

Some stims I have noticed:
running my fingers through my hair, a lot
picking at my skin
making noises, like raspberries or farts
doing stomach rolls
a floreo-like hand movement (belly dancing hand movement)
The last 2 don't get much notice at work, since they all know I am taking lessons
I start to flap when frustrated or getting angry (not much difference in the 2)
I used to chew my pencils/pens to death, but stopped when I had a pen explode in my mouth, plus working in a lab and putting things in your mouth are big no-nos

"Here's one that I usually say when getting into my car at shopping centers-feel free to laugh- quite loudly I exclaim "would you like to make love to me?"-the looks I get when that one pops out are priceless." -Rolo

I just noticed the post this morning. I almost died laughing. That is hilarious! Here in QC the likely result would be a line-up of candidates! Now, THAT would be awkward indeed!!!

I have many stims. My desk at work is covered with little items (paper weights, etc.) that I can manipulate during the day as I work. I also carry several items in my pockets including a shell, a small marble and a silver dollar. These are all small enough that I can hold them without much notice and gently rotate or rub them. These are pretty innocuous and fairly discrete. I have a worse habit of picking at scabs quite often until they bleed. I wish that I could stop but the more I think about stopping the more irresistible the attraction. Scabs, sunburn, eczema...any area on my body that appears to be removable is picked and scrapped and torn until it is gone. I had chickenpox very late at 17. I was covered head to toe with open, oozing postules which I was unable to resist from scratching. This resulted in many scars, some quite deep, which haven taken 20 years to fade away to shadows.

Csutelan: I also keep a shell & a small marble in my pocket & a smooth stone (rose quartz, amethyst) in there too. I bet many many people have little items like this in their pockets too.

Csutelan: I also keep a shell & a small marble in my pocket & a smooth stone (rose quartz, amethyst) in there too. I bet many many people have little items like this in their pockets too.

Very strange. Over the years I have rotated through various items usually adopting new ones when I lose an item. Small rocks and shells are my favorites. I remember where I got each one and holding or rubbing it, especially during times of stress or unwanted social interacting, has a calming effect.

Growing up, it was what everyone called "playing with my fingers", for lack of a better term (and my father added, "tripping out", and a godmother who was very religious said it was "the devil", and this almost got me out of it, but then my agnostic parents were alarmed by the stuff she taught me, and I stopped seeing her by the time I was 10).
It was basically kind of fidgeting my fingers, with my hands almost together, in a surface was sitting on, like a bed, and sometimes with objects like pens. I would often do this while letting my imagination run, especially if I had been somewhere, or seen something on TV, and just imagining things.

On my 18th birthday, I felt I was grown and finally had to stop, so I replaced it with just tapping a pen or other object, often to the rhythm of music. I occasionally saw others do this, so it seemed more "normal", and this is what I use today.

I think these are Stims, Please correct me if one seems off. After all I am new to the whole Aspie Thing ;)

- Picking at my fingers or toes (the nails and the skin under the nails).
- When I'm sitting down I typically have one leg crossed over the other, usually my right, then i shake my right foot uncontrollably from right to left to right to left to right to... Yeah..
- I shake my eyes often if I am bored, or simply out of nowhere (sometimes go for weeks forgetting I can do this, then I randomly do it again and remember).
- I also enjoy playing with/fiddling with my three spherical magnets, my microfibre cleaning clothes for my glasses, and my Rubik's cubes.
- Idk if this is a stim but i constantly get little mini itches all over and it can drive me insane if I don't itch them.

YEP! Those are stims, Demo. I can relate to the itch thing. I think we Aspies, due to our different neurology, may be more sensitive to environmental factors like temperature changes, humidity changes, laundry detergent, certain fabrics etc. so we get the flaming madcap itchies. I take a 24 hr non drowsy Reactine to thwart this & it works well with no side effects, Of course, I also avoid fabrics etc. that irritate me. This prevents me from getting itchy in a public place & trying to resist itching like a flea-bitten dog!

Soup's odd stim of the day: walking to the left in a tight circle deep in the zone.

Add chewing on my upperlip until its sore because you don't realize how long you are doing it for

Mine are playing constantly with my bracelets, nibbling at my fingers (don't ask me why lol) I also keep various little bits in my pockets, rubber bands and things, i wrap them round my fingers, and gently rocking my head from side to side while humming.

I didn't consider this a 'stim' until you brought it up, but I continually tap out piano rhythms, constantly Ode to Joy although sometimes something more creative.

I should also add, flexing my upper lip to touch the underside of my nose; flexing my fingers and wrists (and sometimes arms, legs and ankles), and crossing one leg under the other when sitting. My legs get "bored" just sitting in a chair for long, so I need to cross them like that, and switch after awhile, when one gets tired.

I'm very fidgety, I wiggle my hands at the wrist, turn my head from side to side or rock in different directions. I've got fidgety fingers. I've noticed that if I consciously try to stop wiggling my fingers, my toes will start to wiggle, it's like something has to wiggle. I hum and make clicking noises and mumble to myself (thinking out loud).

I've noticed that when I am reaching for something, my fingers will wiggle as I'm reaching. This happens automatically. I'm not sure, but I think it may help guide my hands as I have noticed that when shopping for groceries, occasionally items I have picked up seem to just fly out of my hands.

I pace the floor while thinking about things. If I'm reading something really interesting, I may read a couple of paragraphs, put the book down and pace while thinking about what I just read, then start reading again.

Stress is not what makes me fidget, to me it's just energy and rhythm, It makes me feel good. If I'm really upset, I will rock and chew on my fingers, but only if I'm alone (this is very embarrassing. I'm only mentioning it because maybe other people could relate to it).

I have been like this all my life, but I just recently found out about stimming. Now I'm really self conscious about it.

Last edited:
I think it must be weird stim day for me: FUNNY BREATHING RHYTHMS. in 3 breaths, out 1 long breath. in 3 breaths, out in 2. Sounds like some kind of Ayurvedic/meditaiton related breathing BUT...that's not why I'm doing it. It's just an odd stim.

I never thought that I did any rocking or hand flapping.

Well, turns out I was wrong. Today I lost a pair of running shoes and was really stressed out about it. I was just sitting there rocking back and forth and didn't realize I was doing it until I had been going for at least two minutes. I was just thinking to myself "hang on, that's a stim..."

New Threads

Top Bottom