• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
Would you want to drive a formula one car?
I would want to but I feel a bit frightened too sometimes.
I get scared of heights and am not very adventurous
But I have abseiled before down a high mountain ledge and done a giant swing and done a roller coaster once but that is about it.
I was so proud when I went down the side of the cliff but I am not certain I would do it again.
I looked down too which was a mistake because it was very high for me but I still made it down safely.
I think it would be fun to be pulled from a helicopter to safety but it actually may scare me more than I think and you have to fall or get stuck somewhere to do it.

But I have abseiled before down a high mountain ledge and done a giant swing and done a roller coaster once but that is about it.
I was so proud when I went down the side of the cliff but I am not certain I would do it again.
I looked down too which was a mistake because it was very high for me but I still made it down safely.
I think it would be fun to be pulled from a helicopter to safety but it actually may scare me more than I think and you have to fall or get stuck somewhere to do it.
I'm not a thrill seeker, but I don't always think things through (naive and adhd spontanity), the biggest thing was probably moving to a new country :)

I'm not a thrill seeker, but I don't always think things through (naive and adhd spontanity), the biggest thing was probably moving to a new country :)
I survived a lousy political conflict and didn't even get a T-shirt. Don't get me started.

Helicopter. That reminds me of the time I became ill at 10K ft. and my dog and I had to be pulled out by helicopter. The helicopter made it up okay, but as the day warmed, the air got thinner. That means less lift for the rotors. The copilot (200 lbs.) had to get out and walk down the mountain. All my gear went down with the search and rescue people. Even then, they had to burn fuel until the tank was nearly empty. We barely made it over 13k ft. ridges and then settled down to the town of Lone Pine and a very small hospital.

I had some kind of stomach bug that had me running out of both ends, so I was severely dehydrated. The altitude made it worse. They pumped me full of fluids for several hours and let me go.

That's me in the back of the chopper.

helicopter.jpg

Most adventurous? I don't know, it really depends on your perspective. I have been told repeatedly that I have lived a life of adventure; for me, it was just a job. I have written quite a bit here about what I did as an exploration geologist. Was it adventurous? You decide.

For me, adventurous is going downtown in a major city. Getting caught in heavy traffic and being inadvertently flushed across the Sydney Harbor Bridge. Trying to find my way around in the center of Mexico City. Looking for a good place to eat in Singapore. Doing anything in Los Angeles.

I would have to say that the most adventurous thing I have ever done was drive from California to Michigan doing a northern route that took me through many national parks. I spent 5 days in Michigan then drove back back to California driving south and across the bottom of the country. Total round trip time was 11 days (including the layover in Michigan). On the return trip (and this is quite mad in retrospect), I did a four hour walking tour of Mammoth caves in Kentucky and 48 hours later did the same thing at Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. Finishing that tour in the Afternoon, I jumped back in my car and drove home, arriving at 7 AM the following day.

This was a solo trip and by the time I got home I had been up for some 20 hours straight. Before I was able to get some real sleep and rest, I received a call from some friends saying that they were at an Irish Festival and I should join them (which I did! Utter madness) and was up most of the rest of the day.

Does that qualify as adventuresome? I was 37 years old at the time - slightly over 40 years ago.

When I was quite young I was sure that I should never drive, so that was pretty clear early on. I also have a fear of heights. I think it started when I took part in climbing a mountain in Norway, when I was a child. I stepped on a rock that suddenly got loose under my shoe, so that was scary.

One of the most adventurous things I really like to do, is to go live for a few days by myself in a shelter in a forest. In Denmark, where I live, we have a lot of shelters like that, that anyone can book online and live in. That feeling of really getting away from everything, go for walks, meet a hare or a crow and other animals, then make a fire, wrap some vegetables and rice, or something similar, in silver paper and prepare it on the embers, when the flames have gone out, is superb. And that smoky flavour it gives the food is an extra plus. Looking forward to doing it again when the seasons change.

I love that sense of adventure and thrill-seeking, but my perforated eardrums make some of these things difficult.
I'm all into exploring abandoned buildings, but in the UK it's become illegal to do this and you get arrested. No freedom any more. It's all health and safety. But it's my body, I can wear a hard hat if it matters that much.
When I was a kid there were often signs outside abandoned buildings warning of danger, which was probably good enough to cover any health insurance if you do hurt yourself. I don't think health insurance policies should cover abandoned places anyway. It's not like you're going to win a case in court by going "well I decided to explore an abandoned building and a brick fell and hit me on the head, I demand to sue!" The court should have the right to say "well you decided to go in there, you decided to take the risk, you don't deserve to sue."

Stupid laws and rules.

The most adventeous thing I have done and now, wonder on how earth I managed it, but was go a concert on my own, to see my obsession at the time. It was awesome and frightening. But, it took so much of me, I could not do it again.

Now, my most adventeous act, would be going through a door on my own, without panic ceasing me.

I've done a lot of things. Some highlights include getting stuck in an avalanche but managing to keep my skis on top of it so I wasn't buried, snow camping in the Uinta Mountains, backpacking for a week with a girlfriend in the southern Utah desert, going to Europe by myself when I was 20 years old, and practicing law for nearly 40 years including jury trials. Having and raising children is not for the faint hearted, either!

I once went on a vacation with a bunch of strangers. Was scary and I hardly spoke all weekend because I was too shy. I don't know how I did it. I was glad to get home.
I put that down to adventurous when you're shy around strangers. It was supposed to be a befriending opportunity but I didn't really fit in with the group because they all had severe disabilities, and the more high-functioning ones like myself didn't really talk to me even though I made an effort to smile and look friendly.
It was exhausting having to be silent and shy for 4 days.

I guess perspective plays in on this question. Something mundane for one might be over the top for others. For example, I did over 1000 skydives before inner ear problems put a stop to it. 50 of those jumps were done naked. It was a lot of fun, but I didn't consider it adventurous.
Last summer I did a 6000 mile solo drive from Florida into Nevada and back via Illinois and Wyoming. Because of the route planning, budget, etc. not to mention major car repair on the way, I consider that to be an adventure.

I once went on a vacation with a bunch of strangers. Was scary and I hardly spoke all weekend because I was too shy. I don't know how I did it. I was glad to get home.
I put that down to adventurous when you're shy around strangers. It was supposed to be a befriending opportunity but I didn't really fit in with the group because they all had severe disabilities, and the more high-functioning ones like myself didn't really talk to me even though I made an effort to smile and look friendly.
It was exhausting having to be silent and shy for 4 days.
You remind me of me! I used to push myself into situations, believing that all I needed was to get used to it, but no matter, was always the one left out and yes, smiling and trying to be friendly, but sadly, mostly mute and when I did venture to talk, my throat being so tight and uncomfortable, it would end up in a squeak and thus, be ignored.

I have also been around ones who were supposed to be like myself, but didn't matter a jot. I was still the outsider.

You remind me of me! I used to push myself into situations, believing that all I needed was to get used to it, but no matter, was always the one left out and yes, smiling and trying to be friendly, but sadly, mostly mute and when I did venture to talk, my throat being so tight and uncomfortable, it would end up in a squeak and thus, be ignored.

I have also been around ones who were supposed to be like myself, but didn't matter a jot. I was still the outsider.
My mother was the one who encouraged me to go on this trip. If I had my way I wouldn't have gone at all. I was only 16. She felt guilty afterwards, although it wasn't her fault. She knew I so badly wanted friends and just wanted to help me.

I seem to fit in OK at work, where most of the people are NTs. I'd probably have a wonderful time if I went on a weekend trip with them, being able to be myself and have a good banter.

Formula 1 cars have so much power and traction that I'm not used to that I'd just look silly in one. I'd certainly be glad to drive some of the classic race cars for a few laps on a safe course, though. Some of my adventures involved skillful driving. The most adventurous thing I've done has many contenders in the single plunge category, so I'll go with the longest one - two months on my bicycle looking for a new place to live.

When I was about 21 I was studying abroad. I wanted to go home during a break. A friend and I traveled to my country by land (no money for plane tickets). It was supposed to take us 2 days, but it took us 6 days of trains, buses, and missed connections. The trip involved getting suck at the border, doing a part of the trip on cargo trains, being stuck at night in the dessert when it gets crazy cold... We were rescued by a border agent/police who took us the next day on a tour of abandoned mines... The trip involved shooting machine guns and drinking with the somewhat demented border agent.

A few things come to mind offhand...though "adventurous" is a relative term.

1) Going down Interstate 580's straightaway between Danville and Dublin in broad daylight reaching around 134 miles an hour. Maybe a little more. Got too spooked to take it to the max around 150 mph. Guess it was a day off for the CHP. Whoa, Nellie!

2) Participating in a complex hiring process in which the job in question morphed into something I wasn't really prepared for. The sort of work that could involve extreme consequences.

3) Keeping a girlfriend happily entertained publicly while seated on a BART train.

4) Riding in any vehicle with my cousin driving.

New Threads

Top Bottom