• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Does 'Mild' OCD Entail/Mean

Loren

V.I.P Member
I have read a few posts, where a member will make reference to 'mild' OCD. I am wondering what it is and will, also, inquire with my therapist at my next visit with him. I couldn't find any information, via a (rushed) online search, so, I thought I'd inquire, here.

I have OCD, and the term seems, almost, oxymoronic to me, although, I know it is possible to experience compulsions/symptoms to varying degrees. I have never experienced a mild form of OCD. I either experience so much anxiety that will manifest as OCD/compulsions, or not, and my compulsions effect me, profoundly. I am curious to know how symptoms of 'mild' OCD play out and how they are managed. Thank you.

My understanding of "mild" OCD reflects thoughts, fears and obsessions which do not overtly interfere with one's daily functioning.

Though personally speaking I find even that description open to interpretation in terms of what really constitutes "interference". Yes I manage to get to bed each night, but it doesn't change the multiple times I must check the lock on my door. Even when I already know I checked it hours before.

So when you start to break down such descriptions, they may not seem quite so abundantly clear. Like so many if not all medical conditions, they were likely given such descriptions by those who don't have them. o_O

I suppose my only consolation is in having OCD as opposed to OCPD. My issues don't go beyond my own personal space and those in which I have care, custody and control.

With OCPD it would seem that much more taxing to have to deal with neatness, orderliness and attention to detail over that which is not within my possession or control.

Last edited:
I have OCD. For me it was bad at one point but I went through exposure therapy so now I would consider it mild since OCD doesn't take up too much of my time anymore.

For those with OCD which is problematic, recommend a book call Brain Lock available from Amazon. Teaches you how to actually change your brain chemistry to deal with OCD. Good read too.

I don't have OCD at least not in the traditional sense, I can be a perfectionist with certain things especially when numbers are involved. However, my wife does have OCD

What I can say about it, When I first met her she was really bad with it checking doors & windows IDK how many times before bed, I would joke when the thief comes I will say my wife has been waiting a long time for you. She would check the oven 100 times everything had to be just right sheets needed to be perfect at all times just everything If we went out and she thought the stove might be on or whatever she couldn't let go.

Over time She has changed, By telling herself over and over again it's not necessary, it's not reality She got much better, However, it's over much time. the feeling does not follow the thought but the repetition over time helps a lot, It's the same tactic I have used on much of my own stuff. The thing is it does not feel natural and does not feel like it works for some time but it's in the repetition over time

The OCD will never go away, but it is so much improved its crazy, Now she only checks doors and windows maybe 2 tops 3 x on a bad day and only 1 x on a good day, She even now allows a cleaning lady to come and help with cleaning. She no longer spends her time out worrying if the stove was shut off at least most of the time

Thank you, all, very much, for sharing your knowledge and personal experience, and thank you for the book recommendation, as I haven't come across that one. I wish to respond, further, when finished working. Thank you, again.

Was one of those posts mine? I have OCPD, but my friends and family are always making fun of my “OCD”. My understanding of the difference between OCD and OCPD is that people with OCD obsess over irrational things, like germs, which results in the compulsion to repeatedly wash their hands. Or home invasion which results in the repeated locking and checking of doors and windows. People with OCPD obsess over orderliness and adherence to rules. I like everything to be in its place and get extremely anxious if it’s not. I like doors and drawers to be closed, I like colouring pencils to be placed in wavelength order (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet). I can’t stand asymmetric architecture, unless it’s balanced otherwise (like with windows or trees etc.). I also adhere strictly to road rules etc. Although I will sometimes break them eg. If I had been stuck at an intersection for a long time I would cut across traffic that might be too close to get through. To me I think this is the best way to live, and everyone should live like this to keep everything fair and in order. However, it seems most other people don’t for some crazy reason. I mean, why make rules if you aren’t expected to follow them? But apparently people with OCPD often think they are in the right and everyone else is wrong.

To me I think this is the best way to live, and everyone should live like this to keep everything fair and in order. However, it seems most other people don’t for some crazy reason. I mean, why make rules if you aren’t expected to follow them? But apparently people with OCPD often think they are in the right and everyone else is wrong.

The real issue I see with OCPD is when you project your own sensibilities towards others, or within the environment of others. That's when there can be "clashes" of sorts. The difference between those of us who are incredibly neat and orderly, and those who are sloppy by choice or indifference.

I'm just grateful that I can tolerate the sloppiness of others without attempting to interfere with them. Live and let live, so to speak. But yes- in my heart and mind I am cringing. That much is true. Though my ability to mask my OCD traits seems much more difficult when I am around the same people over time. Yet oddly enough over the years such people never realized what motivates me in this regard.

The real issue I see with OCPD is when you project your own sensibilities towards others, or within the environment of others. That's when there can be "clashes" of sorts. The difference between those of us who are incredibly neat and orderly, and those who are sloppy by choice or indifference.

I'm just grateful that I can tolerate the sloppiness of others without attempting to interfere with them. Live and let live, so to speak. But yes- in my heart and mind I am cringing. That much is true. Though my ability to mask my OCD traits seems much more difficult when I am around the same people over time. Yet oddly enough over the years such people never realized what motivates me in this regard.
Yes I get what you mean and I’ve been told this by many people, but I honestly think it would just be easier if everyone kept everything in order. My close family and friends are aware of my need for order, but others probably wouldn’t notice too much. Not unless I start straightening their pictures, or start reorganising the supermarket shelves. Which I have done. :blush:

Yes I get what you mean and I’ve been told this by many people, but I honestly think it would just be easier if everyone kept everything in order. My close family and friends are aware of my need for order, but others probably wouldn’t notice too much. Not unless I start straightening their pictures, or start reorganising the supermarket shelves. Which I have done. :blush:

At times I've been tempted to do as such. However I'm also aware of potential consequences in doing as such. That some people are simply content living in what we would consider to be a state of squalor.

And to either imply as such or simply begin reorganizing their household items is a social "no-no".

Yet I also realize that for some, they won't have this ability to be so tolerant. For me it really is put to the test with simple things like crooked pictures or toilet paper folded in the wrong direction! I get it. ;)

ASD can be challenging at times, but for myself I still consider my OCD a sort of "private hell" first and foremost. A struggle that doesn't require the presence of another human being.

Thank you, all, very much, for sharing your knowledge and personal experience, and thank you for the book recommendation, as I haven't come across that one. I wish to respond, further, when finished working. Thank you, again.

I had hoped to give a proper response, earlier, but the day went differently than expected. I normally do as I say I will, so, I want to apologize.

Thank you for the examples of 'mild' OCD, from your personal experiences/ perspectives, and the various ways that OCD has impacted you/people close to you, and how it has been managed.

*VJC - I know from experience, that being a perfectionist, even if only on occassion, can come wth it's own set of challenges, and it would be appropriate to have compassion for yourself, if ever you should need it. I am glad to know that the challenges your wife has faced with OCD, have significantly, subsided. I hope her present condition continues for a long time to come, if not, forever. Thank you very much, for sharing your/your wife's experiences, here.

*Butterfly - I am so glad to hear of your success! I have heard that exposure therapy can be quite effective. Based on what I have read about it, I think I have been engaging in a variation of it, on my own. It will be interesting to find out what my new therapist will be suggesting for me, and if he is a proponent of exposure therapy.

*Judge - Thank you for explaining some of the differences between OCD and OCPD, and, sharing some of your personal experiences. I have what is referred to as 'just right' OCD. I am quite eager to research OCPD, however. I have been under the impression that people who are collectors and, literally, unable to part with objects, are usually, diagnosed with OCPD. In regard to myself, I am the opposite. I am profoundly, minimalistic.

*LucyPurrs - Thank you, again, for the book reccomendation.

*Phanelope - I haven't, yet, had the opportunity to read your post, but, will do, shortly. Thank you for chiming in.

Edit: I just noticed there are a few additional posts. I am currently, off to meet my hiking group, so, I will look forward to reading the remainder of comments, upon my return.

Last edited:
I have what is referred to as 'just right' OCD. I am quite eager to research OCPD, however. I have been under the impression that people who are collectors and, literally, unable to part with objects, are usually, diagnosed with OCPD. In regard to myself, I am the opposite. I am profoundly, minimalistic.

That might describe myself as well. I can't deal with clutter. I'm far more apt to simply "purge" my home of possessions, sometimes even ones cherished where I go through a bit of remorse having tossed them out. But then for me minimalism is a form of elegance, apart from being simple and orderly. :cool:

I am a collector. I feel empty when I don’t have a complete set of something. But I also have boxes of useless items, like egg cartons and glass jars, because I always think I’ll need them again. I also collect packaging, particularly from electronics, again, because I think I might need it. However I hate clutter and love order, so if I can’t neatly store anything away I will throw it away.

I haven't ever experienced the need to 'check' that I've done something, except, on the rare occasion, when I may have been doing two things at once, so, I don't have those types of OCD compulsions (edit: although, I'm noticing that I may have similar compulsions, here, with grammar and minimization).

Mine have to do with touching with same pressure, or evenly distributed pressure. Breaths, in and out at the same pressure and timing, stepping at same pressure, stride-length, or, foot pressure on a same color if the floor is made uof different colors. Vocal pressure, and pressing my lower and upper teeth against one another as hard as possible without the force that could break them.

Another example of mine is, objects on my desk/ drawing board, of which are in my line of vision, need to be in-line with one another,/ cannot be positioned at the slightest angle. Vellum, pencils, documents, etcetera, as well, in-line with the structure the object is placed on/ contained within. So, if, for example, objects on my desk aren't aligned, even in my peripheral vision, I cannot move forward, or move onto the next task, until I've aligned said objects. I can also experience extreme discomfort in my nerves if not sorted out. I have others, but, I try not to pull them to the surface, as it can trigger bouts with them. My symptoms subside when stress is reduced, and I have gone years without experiencing a single compulsion. at various points. I have tics, as well, but they tend only to rear their heads on the rare occasion, these days.

Last edited:
Yes what you described seems like more classic OCD to me. (But I’m not a qualified psychiatrist). I should add that I am able to walk past things that are out of order without feeling too compelled to rearrange them when I am out and about, however if I’m surrounded by disorganisation on a daily basis (as I am with 4 kids and a husband who doesn’t give a damn about neatness) it has a big impact on my emotional health and can sometimes result in physical sickness.

I have what was coined "mild OCD" by a Therapist... I have weird things I have to do like: double check if I turned something on or off, my food cant touch, I wash my hands many times a day, I get dirty but I have to clean up very often (sometimes 3 showers a day), I eat only one food at a time, I have to keep my stuff organized... The way it was explained to me is yes, I have OCD, but I do not try to force it on others, nor be a burden to others with it... Most often (maybe with the exception of the food thing), I can fly under the radar with most of it, until someone trips me up... and forces me to not be able to do something I always do. I then notice my OCD because suddenly I am not able to have things my way.

Luckily I am reasonable, and I never try to cause an issue over it, but in my head I may really be needing to go back and do that thing I was not allowed... IN THAT, I lose track of what the present situation is, my awareness is all messed up and ADD comes into play and its a real mess in my head at times as it becomes apparent Chance is off in space somewhere.

Somehow it always works out and I hold it in and deal with it... A person with serious OCD is probably going to have some sort of fit, or cause a scene... So this is where the "mild" comes in for me. I see me being openly upset as a worse option than being denied my ritual (or what ever one might want to call it)... : )

I have what was coined "mild OCD"...

Thank you for your input. : )) I have some of the same quirks, such as excessive hand washing, however, in my case, not to the extent of which is considered to be obsessive. I am particular with food, as well, and, somewhat of a perfectionist, when it comes to the process of eating. My obsessions are self-contained, and, like you, I have the ability to keep them under wraps, or, delay them, while in the presence of others, which, indeed, can become, quite distracting and contentious.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I am definitely not OCD but I have some intense thought OCD symptoms I often go through. Like, if my mind perceives that there's a problem, no matter how insignificant or silly it might seem, it will bug me with it relentlessly and it will sometimes get to the point where they're intrusive thoughts, not letting me chill out and move on. I will sometimes bug my bf about all sorts of little things, from the outside it looks like I just can't let it go and it's true, my mind can't, it usually needs to feel like the situation was "solved" in a way or another in order to move on. And it feels like I don't have much of a say in this, my mind is at the steering wheel in these situations.
I'll get many other intrusive thoughts when I'm feeling low. Mostly self-esteem related, and the voice that appeared ever since I was little and tells me to kill myself, although these days I manage to ignore it succesfully and not give it more power, it seems to be the default mode for my depressed mind.
Also, sometimes I get stuck in a spiral of negative thoughts, being afraid of the negative consequences of thinking bad things or stuff like that, it's just a loop of stop thinking about that - keeps thinking about it - freaks out about it - the more I try not to think, the more I think. Luckily these don't last long or happen often, but they're quite uncomfy.

I wonder if full on OCD can involve much more irrationality, overwhelming to the point of non functioning?

Hoarding, rituals, compulsions, obsessions with mental compulsive behaviours, catastrophising, overwhelming overt rituals to the detriment of all else?

Perhaps perfectionism, control, excessive habits that take time but don’t rob one of a whole day may be considered a milder form of the above?

I’m not a medical professional, that comes from a bit of experience also a book called “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, the facts”. By Padmal de Silva and Stanley Rachman.

Hello everyone!...

Hi. : ) Based on your description, it seems as if you are ruminating with intensity. In essence, it seems that your thoughts are in control of your mind, which is quite reminiscent of the ruminations I would have, after some trauma I experienced. I am not a doctor, either, but, the details you mentioned, certainly, do seem in line with OCD. Perhaps, for now, have a look at the books that LucyPurrs and Gracey have suggested (within this thread). It sounds as though, you are experiencing what I would experience, as the result of being triggered. If that is the case, there is an excellent Trauma-related book with a built-in work-book, that I will post here, for you, tomorrow, that worked wonders for me, and, I still use, on occasion. Thanks for sharing what you have been experiencing, and I wish you very well. : ))

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom