• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic Vladimir Putin Said To Have Aspergers Syndrome

Grumpy Cat

According to 2008 reports from the Pentagon, Vladimir Putin is being said to have Aspergers Syndrome which "is affecting all of his decisions." He is being labeled without proof, just from people observing his actions. The Russian President is being said to have a "neurological disorder". This article actually makes me very angry as they are saying that Putin is doing all of his so called bad decision making because he "supposedly" has AS! Unbelievable!

Pentagon 2008 study claims Putin has Asperger's syndrome

Oh my Lord!!!!! Maybe Putin's decision making is affected by his personality (disorder), or his giant ego & even larger insecurities. Oh & what about his history as a KGB OFFICER?!?!

I thought this was hilariously funny ... it's so ridiculous! Then I saw that it is infuriating to the prior posters. Try not to be angry or offended. Feel some pity for people who are that dumb. Now THAT is incurable. :)

Oh & what about his history as a KGB OFFICER?!?!

It looks like the man had plenty of people skills to do the tasks assigned to him over the years. This would strike me as quite a task for many Aspies. Yet it doesn't appear he was particularly extroverted either.

Intense Russian Nationalist? Yes. Aspie? I don't think so. Especially given his apparent love of "social conformity".

Interesting reading:

Putin's Career Rooted in Russia's KGB (washingtonpost.com)

Last edited:
Oh my Lord!!!!! Maybe Putin's decision making is affected by his personality (disorder), or his giant ego & even larger insecurities. Oh & what about his history as a KGB OFFICER?!?!

I thought this was hilariously funny ... it's so ridiculous! Then I saw that it is infuriating to the prior posters. Try not to be angry or offended. Feel some pity for people who are that dumb. Now THAT is incurable. :)

Just an FYI that in writing that dumbness is incurable, I was not at the same time implying Autism should be curable. I wish to clarify so no one takes it that way & is offended. Given all the misinformation out there about Autism I can see how some would become very sensitive. I am learning that Autistics & NT's are different but still have much in common. IMOO most people could use some self-improvement! But our differences don't need "curing". A cure for dumbness though, that would be priceless! :p

It looks like the man had plenty of people skills to do the tasks assigned to him over the years. This would strike me as quite a task for many Aspies. Yet it doesn't appear he was particularly extroverted either.

Intense Russian Nationalist? Yes. Aspie? I don't think so. Especially given his apparent love of "social conformity".

Interesting reading:

Putin's Career Rooted in Russia's KGB (washingtonpost.com)

That was a great find Judge!

I thought he was just a straight up psychopath. What are they saying Bush's decisions were influenced by?

I thought he was just a straight up psychopath. What are they saying Bush's decisions were influenced by?

How did Bush get into this discussion? If you want to comment on the article the thread is about then do so. Anything else is a waste of time to read. I could say plenty about the current Presidents problems, but this thread isn't the time or place for that.

Last edited:
I don't know the guy. I can't say whether he has Aspergers or doesn't. I do know that the people making this claim understand him far better than I do, and know him far better (although they probably know less about Aspergers than I do). Whether one likes or dislikes him, has nothing to do with whether he has AS.

I do think (in partial agreement with Judge) that it would be surprising to find someone with AS in such a position of fame and power, since getting there does require people skills. Not saying it's impossible, though.

Saying that his decisions are influenced by AS doesn't mean that everyone with AS would make the same decisions. My decisions are influenced by AS, as are the decisions of others whom I know, yet we make different decisions.

In conclusion, I don't have an opinion on the truth or falsity of this claim. But one doesn't need to have a knee-jerk reaction of overly quick belief or disbelief in it.

I don't really want to play devil's advocate when it comes to that putain de merde, but I'm not going to say he can't be autistic because he's Putin. It's always easy to accept some world-saving genius having autism, but if it's an evil prince of darkness, things get a bit tricky maybe. :)

I'm not saying he is autistic; I don't know the dude. Being a successful politician (bah) might be pointing to no, but consider this:
he rises up in a tightly regimented organization with strict rules on how to operate (I think some of us might like that, or even thrive in it), which happens to be the KGB, where he gets trained in observing people and interpreting their behaviours (which is what we try to do when wondering what an NT, or anyone else, means with this or that) and learns how to gain control of his own behaviour and how to act according to the situation.

Political behaviour is very premeditated. There's nothing spontaneous about it. It's tactics, it's playing a role, acting out a playbook. There is a possibility that if you put him in an everyday social situation, stripped from the aura of power, he might very well be just as socially inept as the best of us. (Not taking into account the wealth of information on human behaviour, including the behaviour of his political adversaries,he gained while in the KGB too, obviously.)

And it's not like I've never seen an aspie being completely enthralled by social conformity, holding on to it for dear life (because it's a graspable concept in a world of uncertainty) and going against anything that might challenge that concept...

Anyway, I don't know; just a quick thought experiment.

I thought he was just a straight up psychopath.

I suppose one could say that about most any executive leader practicing forms of brinksmanship. Those who are so willing to gamble with the lives of so many, quite often for so little.

I suppose one could say that about most any executive leader practicing forms of brinksmanship. Those who are so willing to gamble with the lives of so many, quite often for so little.

…And they are only saying this to discredit him, which says everything you need to know about ableism in our culture.

Whether he is an Aspie or not shouldn't matter. I think the US is using AS as a negative trying to get Putin to be a "nutcase". You can't tell someone is Aspie just by looking at them - he might be an introvert. And saying he had something bad in his childhood that made him brain damaged is crazy. Can you diagnose AS with a head CT?

…And they are only saying this to discredit him, which says everything you need to know about ableism in our culture.

That's the part I find tragic in this story. To use Aspergers Syndrome as the catalyst, when it's somewhat routine for the Pentagon to create and publish disparaging psychological "studies" of their political adversaries.

I'm certainly no fan of Putin, but I'm even less a fan of such reckless prejudice by bureaucrats funded by the taxpayers.

According to 2008 reports from the Pentagon, Vladimir Putin is being said to have Aspergers Syndrome which "is affecting all of his decisions." He is being labeled without proof, just from people observing his actions. The Russian President is being said to have a "neurological disorder". This article actually makes me very angry as they are saying that Putin is doing all of his so called bad decision making because he "supposedly" has AS! Unbelievable!

Pentagon 2008 study claims Putin has Asperger's syndrome

Hi Grumpy Cat busy stirring the pot.:p Hmm...well I get RT so I see both sides and my personal opinion is love him or hate him if Putin was a cat you could toss him blindfolded out of a airplane and he would land on his feet with a can of tuna in one paw and a spoon in the other.:D He has to be the most brilliant tactician I've ever seen, not saying everything he does is good, but you'd have to get up awful early to pull one over on him. I'm not sure he fits the AS profile we are usually more long term on things he seems to be more of a get in close and have a good knife fight kind of guy. But I could be wrong he certainly hasn't missed a trick yet on either side of the fight, a very impressive record, I haven't spotted a misstep yet with my auti pattern thing not every day that happens.

I saw a news report today that quickly summarized some of the reasoning behind this "diagnosis" of Putin ... & it was pretty compelling actually. My original 'knee jerk reaction' was just that, a knee jerk reaction, taking it kind of as some others might have initially ... as an insult to Autistics (since Putin is such a 'crappy' person) & he doesn't 'present' (in appearance, stereotypically speaking) as an Aspie ... so my knee jerk response was a LOL :D :D BUT hearing the quick analysis, hmmm, who knows. He is for sure though a crappy person & a tactician extraordinaire! :)

Ignoring the politics/opinions of Putin (I don't really want to go there myself, but those who know me can probably guess), I'll basically cut and paste (but slightly alter) what I posted about it on Facebook.

My God. Really, guys? That's how you think you can make an autism diagnosis? Just by examining video footage, without actually talking with him or his family?

Although I'm equally baffled by the skeptic quoted as saying they would need a brain scan...I definitely don't remember that part of the diagnostic process...

Last night on MSNBC I saw a doctor commenting on the report. He apparently is an M.D. who has two published books, both psychological profiles of Barack Obama and George W. Bush.

The word he used to described the report was "silly".

Ignoring the politics/opinions of Putin (I don't really want to go there myself, but those who know me can probably guess), I'll basically cut and paste (but slightly alter) what I posted about it on Facebook.

My God. Really, guys? That's how you think you can make an autism diagnosis? Just by examining video footage, without actually talking with him or his family?

Although I'm equally baffled by the skeptic quoted as saying they would need a brain scan...I definitely don't remember that part of the diagnostic process...

I agree(Wyverary), I think perhaps the white house should exhume the bodies of the three stooges, clone them, and send them out to do the white house press briefings. Obamas press girls aren't cute enough to keep me from wanting to throw up on my shoes...:p

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom