• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Video games are going to ruin my life

Hey everyone my name is Mariusz and recently I have been addicted (again) to video games and it has gotten extreme in many significant regards towards my overall well being.

Heres my situation
I have not been diagnosed with Aspergers.
Why? I havent been evaluated by a professional.

Why not? I never knew about anything autism related until I found a book of it in my school library that upon reading it, felt like it was my own body in the memoir with a different experience.

I was amazed at it then sort of put it aside. It wasn't really on my mind until my sleep doctor suggested I go see a psychologist. I started crying in her office and felt as though she was ignorant and didnt know how to properly diagnose my sleeping problems.(and i do feel sort of stupid for thinking that way)

So to shorten a few things in this post I studied a few books and did research online about Aspergers and it felt like a reflection of who I am.

Now although some may be skeptical of whether or not I have Aspergers. I for one do not have any true friends where I can be myself around. I have light sensitivity and sound sensitivity. (I sleep with blackout curtains, wear earplugs during sleep, take the brightness off of my phone and computer screen at both my work and my phone etc.) I seem to have extreme rage moments for certain things that build up. I have extreme trouble knowing how people feel unless I think about the words they say and look at any visible facial features that may show how they feel. Prior to gaming I got A's in all my classes. Sleep problems, depressed when not gaming which is part of why I play, do routine things all the time. Suck very bad in 2 or more groups of people. Have anxiety at times and more frequent random thoughts when sleeping and also am anxious around people. Prefer being alone because people dont understand me. And I also scored way above the online test autism evaluation for an autism spectrum disorder. I also think I have add but never been formally diagnosed either.

So basically my grades and courses coubt has plummetted. I am in process of dropping one class (i already dropped one near the beginning) this semester because I spent time playing video games. I had this whole week off of school to study for a midterm on monday but played video games instead and have spent many times during the semester playing in excess of 10 hours a day. Some days I havent slept in more than 24 hours all within this semester.

I am going to get myself evaluted but have trouble finding a doctor in north nj that will accept my insurance (United Healthcare Commhnity Plan). I have a few numbers that I will try on tuesday which is my day off.

I have started gaming since those fat gameboys appeared and I have always spent my days playing games up until about the age of 20 where I completely stopped. Then about age 23 I started the process again and feel like I ****ed up badly. On top of my addiction problem I got hemmroids probably from sitting on my ass all day playing games. I used to go on walks which I somewhat enjoyed but now I sit all day in my room playing. What can I do to help me stop this? I have tried not using any screen technology because it captures my mind into the screen but I am required to use it because I have homework to do on the internet.

Its wierd because I go in with the mentality of getting my work done but once I stay on the pc for a while I get thoughts of going on gaming sites watching youtube videos or playing games.

Can anyone relate to their gaming addictions? I seriously need help to stop completely because moderation does not work for me with gaming. I feel like this will shorten my life expectancy and probably is and I will not have a good job in the future. Please help because I am desperate to get myself out of this video game life.

Im going to sleep now and have to get up for work bht I will get back to you guys later tonight I promise

You might want to look into other activities instead. While I'm not "addicted" to gaming, I know a lot of hours of gaming come from being uninspired and bored.

As a bit of gamer however, I do suffer a bit from "FOMO syndrome"... Fear Of Missing Out. It makes me want to play more games than I can actually spend time on and I have to make choices and prioritize.

Granted, you say, you don't think moderation works for you, so my best advice is to try and pick up something else as an activity.

I'm wondering if you might have a bit of ADD. That could help explain your difficulty staying on track.

Also; have you talked with anybody at your school about your problems? They might be able to make some special concessions so that you can do your homework without using a computer.

Hey everyone my name is Mariusz and recently I have been addicted (again) to video games and it has gotten extreme in many significant regards towards my overall well being.

Heres my situation
I have not been diagnosed with Aspergers.
Why? I havent been evaluated by a professional.

Why not? I never knew about anything autism related until I found a book of it in my school library that upon reading it, felt like it was my own body in the memoir with a different experience.

I was amazed at it then sort of put it aside. It wasn't really on my mind until my sleep doctor suggested I go see a psychologist. I started crying in her office and felt as though she was ignorant and didnt know how to properly diagnose my sleeping problems.(and i do feel sort of stupid for thinking that way)

So to shorten a few things in this post I studied a few books and did research online about Aspergers and it felt like a reflection of who I am.

Now although some may be skeptical of whether or not I have Aspergers. I for one do not have any true friends where I can be myself around. I have light sensitivity and sound sensitivity. (I sleep with blackout curtains, wear earplugs during sleep, take the brightness off of my phone and computer screen at both my work and my phone etc.) I seem to have extreme rage moments for certain things that build up. I have extreme trouble knowing how people feel unless I think about the words they say and look at any visible facial features that may show how they feel. Prior to gaming I got A's in all my classes. Sleep problems, depressed when not gaming which is part of why I play, do routine things all the time. Suck very bad in 2 or more groups of people. Have anxiety at times and more frequent random thoughts when sleeping and also am anxious around people. Prefer being alone because people dont understand me. And I also scored way above the online test autism evaluation for an autism spectrum disorder. I also think I have add but never been formally diagnosed either.

So basically my grades and courses coubt has plummetted. I am in process of dropping one class (i already dropped one near the beginning) this semester because I spent time playing video games. I had this whole week off of school to study for a midterm on monday but played video games instead and have spent many times during the semester playing in excess of 10 hours a day. Some days I havent slept in more than 24 hours all within this semester.

I am going to get myself evaluted but have trouble finding a doctor in north nj that will accept my insurance (United Healthcare Commhnity Plan). I have a few numbers that I will try on tuesday which is my day off.

I have started gaming since those fat gameboys appeared and I have always spent my days playing games up until about the age of 20 where I completely stopped. Then about age 23 I started the process again and feel like I ****ed up badly. On top of my addiction problem I got hemmroids probably from sitting on my ass all day playing games. I used to go on walks which I somewhat enjoyed but now I sit all day in my room playing. What can I do to help me stop this? I have tried not using any screen technology because it captures my mind into the screen but I am required to use it because I have homework to do on the internet.

Its wierd because I go in with the mentality of getting my work done but once I stay on the pc for a while I get thoughts of going on gaming sites watching youtube videos or playing games.

Can anyone relate to their gaming addictions? I seriously need help to stop completely because moderation does not work for me with gaming. I feel like this will shorten my life expectancy and probably is and I will not have a good job in the future. Please help because I am desperate to get myself out of this video game life.

Im going to sleep now and have to get up for work bht I will get back to you guys later tonight I promise

I can kinda relate but I never got sucked in to that extent, for me it was a simple escape form my brain, I cant think about anything else except the game when I'm playing so it's like a little break from whatever is stressing me.
Can say I have any advise except maybe try and get some excerise outside..TBH gameing is a complete waste of time but I do enjoy the entertainment and escapeism ...thats why it's a bigger industry than TV and movies.

I can relate very well because I am a gamer and have been a gamer since the first days of home computers.

Computer games are where I retreat to and are one of my few happy places. One of the largest factors in my divorce was my gaming addiction, not to mention my drinking and other socialization issues.

I still have the problem; just looked at my Steam page and I have 498 hours on Civ V, a game I received as a Christmas gift. Pathetic, isn't it! No wonder my wife hates me.

The following is not a professional opinion, I am just some a**hole with problems looking for answers myself.

I do not think gaming is your problem, rather it is the place where you go to hide from your issues. The gaming world is where you can be taller, stronger, smarter and better at everything else. That is why it is a happy place for us. I have had many intervals between games where I did not game at all. All of these intervals were merely because I ot tired of playing a game and did not have a new game available that interested me. But before long a new game did arise, and long hours gaming ensued.

I have recently started therapy. I have not been cured or even improved as yet via this effort. But I have researched Aspergers quite intensively (as an engineer I am good at that) and by reading professional papers and both lurking and participating in forums have developed an awareness into most of the problems that have assailed me my entire life. I have come to the realization that my behavior and actions were the cause of those problems.

The bottom line is that you need help. Many colleges have a clinic of some sort on campus that is free to students, so your financial concerns might be eased.

You are not alone and I am sure that there are people and resources that will help you. But you have to try, the help will not magically appear when you beat the game, or set a new high score or get the +5 shield by besting the unbeatable boss.

Good Luck.

When considering things like this I always remember something the Aragorn character says in The Lord of the Rings (the book-can't remember if its in the movie): 'A person who can't abandon a thing in need is slave to it.'

Wow thanks for the replies everyone. I will reply to some of them tomorrow. I am just very tired and need some sleep. I wouldnt be able to respond in the way I want to because I am too tired. Good night everyone!

Btw after reading these posts it opens my mind a bit more about strategies and such. Ill get back to you guys tomorrow cya

New Threads

Top Bottom