• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Very confused and think I'm on the Spectrum

Elena

Hi I'm new here. I think I might have some form of Autism but I'm not sure. I was wondering if anyone thinks this sounds like it could be autism?
I've always been highly creative. From being a small child, I always did the unexpected, I guess you could say odd things. I had urges to touch things. My parents got called into school because I was touching objects for no apparent reason and got in trouble for touching the outside bin over and over. When asked I said I just felt like I had to. I have managed to hide some behaviours as I've got older, I'm 27 now and I feel like I've simply mimicked other people and faked being normal. Although I still have other behaviours that wouldn't be considered normal. I have this thing, which is my main symptom/issue. I have to touch objects in my house and out in public if they look appealing to touch. This usually happens with light switches in my house. Especially if I'm going up to bed for the night then I will have to touch things because I think it will be my last chance to touch them before morning. I wouldn't say it's OCD as I don't feel anything bad will happen if I don't touch them. I just simply get an urge so I do it. I worked in shops and had a big problem where I had to touch certain products on the shelf just to feel them. I pretend to tidy but I'm in fact just touching things. It drives me mad. I think it's more to do with certain textures like glass or silicone or crinkly materials. Also when I'm shopping with another person,if I cade about the person as in they're a close friend or a family member then I will have to touch whatever object they touch after them in a shop. So I have the last touch. I can't leave the shop without doing this.

I get overly obsessed with things. They become wheat I think about 24/7. I have problems being sociable with people and making close friendships but as I come across quite normal, people don't seem to notice I have problems. I just don't have many friends.

As a child, I was always off somewhere in my own imaginary world and missed a lot of classes due to constantly day dreaming. I'm very bad at maths but exceptionally good at English. My writing and drawing skills were very advanced for my age as a child, especially writing. When I was 3, we were all painting pictures at nursery and I started folding little pieces of paper up and sticking them onto the page, making a 3d image. I'd never been taught or shown how to do this. The teacher was amazed and called my parents in to show them. My teachers at school used to keep my creative writing pieces and read them at lunch in the staff room because my imagination and description of things was like nothing they had read before from a child at the school. When I was at high school, we had to choose classes to be in. I chose ones with no one that I knew because I wanted to meet new people and new friends. Everyone else went with the people they knew. The teacher was concerned and called my parents in because a child had never chosen to do that before at that school, in all the years of them being there. A lot of the time as a young child I had difficulty telling fantasy from reality. I don't have this problem anymore but I honestly think I got missed when I was a child and never got a diagnosis. I now try to act normal and mimic normal behaviour on public. I like to watch people and copy how they act socially but I still struggle. I don't think I show the normal signs of autism but I'm thinking I show some definite symptoms that point towards it. Can anyone help me identify anything that may sound familiar to autism? Thanks

hello elena
are you in the usa or Europe ,Australia as how you are diagnosed differs in the UK it would be good to be referred to a psychiatric nurse as they see your symptoms more accurately or a clinical psychologist .
psychiatrists are hung up on mental illness
it sounds like a developmental disorder just not classic autism but a diagnostician would be more accurate

85ae1f820492c06a666aa71b7c111c8f.png
:)

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the UK. I'm going to start with booking an appointment with my GP and go from there but I have no idea how they will diagnose me.

New Threads

Top Bottom