• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Undiagnosed long-time lurker

Atreyu

A very long-time lurker. I apparently joined this site back in 2013 and have been on and off reading the posts to some of the questions posed in the e-mails I receive, but I've never felt that it was my place to post here since I'm not diagnosed.

I have suspected that I likely have Aspergers for a long time now. I am FtM and an adult and as such I grew up raised as female in a time when the spectrum was considered to be primarily affecting males.

But I always had a hard time as a kid. I have always had problems with sensory things and over-stimulation (I hate the feel of pantyhose and would scream and cry when I had to wear it or anything else with that texture and microfiber dish towels are the devil to the point that I could not bring myself to clean if I had to use them for my chores).

When I was younger I used to bite and chew everything with a 'gummy' or soft plastic sort of texture and I do mean everything. I bit a hole in my brother's Stretch Armstrong as a kid. I used to run into the woods and pretend I was an animal all day. I loved to run and climb and mimic the sounds of the birds in the forest.

I used to apparently have a 'weird gait' that my parents forced me to change in high school. I never noticed it until then, either, when it was pointed out to me.
I do make and (try to) maintain eye contact). It is still hard for me to look in people's eyes, but I know that I 'have to' if I don't want to be seen as untrustworthy or distant. Still, it makes me uncomfortable and anxious.

Even despite my attempts, I still get told that I'm emotionally distant regardless and that I come off as cold and unfeeling. As a kid and all the way through my teenage years I was filled with anger and hostility and I lashed out, but I've distanced myself in order to stop that. It's hard to find a balance and hard for me to make or maintain friends because I am, by my own admission, terribly aloof and can be flighty. I don't 'connect' to people well and I usually just prefer my own solitude.

I always escaped into Maladaptive Daydreaming, too. I roleplay, I draw and I prefer my fantasy world to the harsh and hard realities of this one. I connect better with animals than I do people, too. I have a dog and live alone with him now and he's the best roommate I've ever had.

But everything is just so overwhelming to me. I would love to be seen by a professional but I'm not sure anymore. I don't know what I would do with a diagnosis or how to even get one as an adult. I'm a military veteran and I get all of my health care through them for free. I don't even know where to start, sorry this is so disjointed, but it's all I can think to say.

Hi Atreyu, welcome to Aspie Central. I'm also self-diagnosed. I don't care if a 'professional' diagnoses me. I retired two years ago and am self-sufficient. Don't need any help from the government or aids of any kind, and in my country there aren't any. So much of what you indicate has been somewhat like my life too.

445dd2bd2d9c190a34bc7f7e9af6bb1b.png

im from England and official diagnosis was good because therapists know which route not to go ie medicines AUTISM seems to be saddled immune deficiencies lack of awareness
also how to communicate ,my county in England has good to average diagnosticians but our system is plagued by greed

New Threads

Top Bottom