• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ummm... hello!

EditTim

Hi everyone!

I'm Tim, a 47 year-old male living in the States (Columbus, OH Presently).
I'm still in the learning phase of ASD. While I'm no longer in denial, I'm still coming to terms with the degree of my Aspergers. Never really occurred to me that I might be on the spectrum until I dated a woman with a PhD in Developmental Psychiatry. My self-test also came back pretty aspie, which I guess I'll put in my sig line:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 163 of 200

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Not sure what else to say at this point, but I do plan on contributing with threads and comments.

Welcome to AC! I had never heard of AS until my wife brought it to my attention. It's kind of surreal to suddenly find out you are neurologically different after growing up not knowing.

It's good to hear you are past denial. That one can be tough. I don't know if it is possible to nail down the exact degree of your AS. We are all individuals and degrees of difference are subjective. The important thing is to know who you are and receive any assistance necessary to ensure a reasonable level of well being.

Thanks, everyone!

Welcome to AC! I had never heard of AS until my wife brought it to my attention. It's kind of surreal to suddenly find out you are neurologically different after growing up not knowing.

Indeed! several years ago I read up on something called OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder) that kinda sounded like me, but I don't think it's really a thing. Once my ex pointed they way, it all made sense. Simply reading the Wikipedia on Aspergers hit me like a ton of bricks. I kinda wish I found out a long time ago, but sometimes I wonder. There are times I think, since my realization, that my aspie-ness may be coming out more (socially).

It's good to hear you are past denial. That one can be tough. I don't know if it is possible to nail down the exact degree of your AS. We are all individuals and degrees of difference are subjective. The important thing is to know who you are and receive any assistance necessary to ensure a reasonable level of well being.

Yeah, I could use more support. Like many (most?) on this forum, I normally feel alone in the world. Most of my young adult life I was in steady relationships lasting a couple/three years, however the last several I've been single more often than not, and it's becoming more obvious that I do "better" when I have a partner.
I've yet to talk to a professional in any capacity regarding this, so that's something I'll be considering moving forward.

welcome.png

Greetings!

several years ago I read up on something called OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder) that kinda sounded like me, but I don't think it's really a thing.

I know someone with OCPD. She's very nice but she's very controlling about how things should be, I think.

If you're able to go to a doctor about it I would suggest that. Some may dismiss you straight off just because you've been reading about it, others will be open to it. But at the same time, if you're coping well then there is not so much of a need to get a diagnosis. Up to you really.

Welcome.

giphy (16).gif

Hello:D Welcome! I'm new around here too and I was really surprised at how warm and welcoming this community is. There's a great bunch of people here. Definitely a great place to come and share your experiences and I see you are already finding threads on here that you find very relatable.

Thanks again, everyone, I'm starting to feel right at home. This is my first thread despite joining this forum in Oct 2015, lol.

Howdy Doo!!

You've probably just described the fantasy woman for many guys there :rolleyes::D

Ha, careful what you wish for!

...I know someone with OCPD. She's very nice but she's very controlling about how things should be, I think.

If you're able to go to a doctor about it I would suggest that. Some may dismiss you straight off just because you've been reading about it, others will be open to it. But at the same time, if you're coping well then there is not so much of a need to get a diagnosis. Up to you really.

Welcome.

Yes, planning on getting an actual diagnosis when I have health insurance again... I just lost it.
The OCPD idea was interesting. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and prefer to do things the "right" or "best" way by default. Trouble is it only describes a small part of me, and not a defining characteristic. I also believe that this aspect of me has much more to do with blending in with NTs and being uncomfortable with change. Not some theoretical lack of ability to process guilt...

Dating a psychiatrist sounds like a lot of work! I wonder what arguments are like.

Lot of work? You have NO idea, lol. The year and 3 months that we dated felt like 3 years, no joke, but not in a bad way. We were both high IQ people with issues. She isn't Aspie, but does has major social anxiety and tends to overthink EVERYTHING. I thought I was bad in the overanalyze department (and I am), but she took it to a whole new level. Trouble is she is very sensitive, and my aspie meltdowns (5, alcohol induced) were too much for her. I've since quit drinking, but it's too late for us.

"You dated a woman with a PhD in Developmental Psychiatry?"

3a5.jpg

Welcome Tim! I look forward to your comments. Make yourself at home.

Thanks, EstimatedProphet! That MEME is hilarious.

Hello:D Welcome! I'm new around here too and I was really surprised at how warm and welcoming this community is. There's a great bunch of people here. Definitely a great place to come and share your experiences and I see you are already finding threads on here that you find very relatable.

Yes, indeed! Many, many relatable threads... I'm sure you'll see more of me on here.

Last edited:
The OCPD idea was interesting. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and prefer to do things the "right" or "best" way by default. Trouble is it only describes a small part of me, and not a defining characteristic. I also believe that this aspect of me has much more to do with blending in with NTs and being uncomfortable with change. Not some theoretical lack of ability to process guilt...

Yeah. Well the reality of it is that autism is a development condition, it's not a reactionary condition like personality disorders. So really, if you were behaving a certain way in childhood well then that a good solid foundation to built the prospect of an autism diagnosis.

Yeah. Well the reality of it is that autism is a development condition, it's not a reactionary condition like personality disorders. So really, if you were behaving a certain way in childhood well then that a good solid foundation to built the prospect of an autism diagnosis.

That makes sense. I've been me my whole life.

Welcome! Your aspie test came out almost the same as mine. I was 164 of 200 neurodiverse.

Thanks, and yay, a place where I'm not a complete out-of-place oddball, lol.
Of course, in regards to my aspie test score, I was fascinated by the fact that both my nuerodiverse score and my nuerotypical score were both 63... just add 100 to my neurodiverse score, ha.

New Threads

Top Bottom