• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Trip to NYC

joellelynn

Hi

I'm from Switzerland and my family and I will be in NYC from April 1st to April 5th. I've never been to NY and very afraid of this trip as the most things I hear about the city is, that it is BIG, noisy and there is lots of people!!
I have a few questions that maybe some of you (US or - Even better- NYC-People) could answer:
- is there a possibility of easier access to public transportation (no lines, reduced fees....)?
-what are 'Must sees' that I can handle despite my sensory issues?
- is there anything about facilited accesses to museums or other places I need to know?

Thank you for any information!

Hi,
I suggest you do online searches, like best things to see in NYC. They often include reviews, and you can get an idea of what it is, crowd level, noise, etc. One thing I'd especially mention is The Metropolitan Museum of Art. It has artifacts (like Egyptian statues as well as things like paintings, and is huge.

There are open spaces in New York, but they are hard to find. A general rule I've found is the farther you are from Wall Street, the better.

One good thing about New York is that it is about the safest city in America. Just stay away from anyone dressed as Spider-Man.

For public transport, there are no discounts that I know of. Trains are generally frequent and lines are only bad at rush hour, even at Times Square. A weekly MetroCard pays for itself with 13 uses, so it might be of use even for a visit of your length.

Doing things at weird hours can also keep you away from crowds. For example, I know that the Empire State Building is open until 2 AM.

New Threads

Top Bottom