• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Top 'games' for creative individuals!

Slime_Punk

 Please erase
V.I.P Member
I felt like making this to recommend sandboxing experiences, game 'apps', simulators, or games that focus on artistic, engineering, creative, or design sensibilities rather than those of traditional games. These would include games with heavy sandboxing modes, or at least a huge emphasis on something more creative than goal-oriented.

Also, apps on gaming platforms are very much welcome here! If it's an app that appeals to gamers, it's fair game!

Anybody else is free to suggest anything they'd like as well, and I'll be periodically tossing up some of my finds in case other people like these as much as I do!

Without further ado, the first entry into this lengthy series:

header.jpg

Enter the creative paradise of Scrap Mechanic! Build fantastic machines, go on adventures with your friends and defend against waves of evil Farmbots in this imaginative multiplayer survival sandbox. With Scrap Mechanic’s powerful creation tools you can engineer your own adventures!

I just found this one last night and it looks like, despite the description they provided, that this is mostly for creative sandboxing, since the survival mode isn't all that fleshed-out or complex. Building vehicles, workshops, or things that fly around seems to be the aim of the game here, and with a robust physics engine, it can be quite challenging!

header.jpg

Midinous is a grid-based non-linear MIDI sequencer usable with any Digital Audio Workstation or hardware that accepts MIDI messages. Midinous can also generate its own simple sounds either for reference, or for normal use.

This thing is an absolute monster of a MIDI controller, but people tend to compare it to Factorio because of how much design and ingenuity it contains. It basically functions like a phantom piece of hardware, and can help you write generative and procedural music. It's the craziest 'game app' I think I've ever come across!

header.jpg

Play, learn, and experiment with programming in the Sprite32! 8-bit microcomputer sandbox. Use the high-level FREMScript programming language to write programs, create dynamic pixel art, and explore audio generation. Play tutorials and challenges to learn all the aspects of the system.

While there are certainly goals to accomplish and other game-like mechanics to stumble upon here, a good portion of this 'game' is really just a highly-creative sandbox. While I haven't spent too much time with it just yet outside of the goal / achievement paradigm, it looks very promising as a means of fostering creativity among people who also like (or want to learn, even) to code!

header.jpg

Modbox is a multiplayer game creation sandbox for Desktop+VR

I actually just posted about this one in the game thread, but if you like designing games visually, this is a must-try (and there's even a demo up, although I don't know how extensive that is).

You basically get to flesh out entire games with a visual scripting interface, cozy UI, and various tools for creating and manipulating voxels and even doing 3D modelling. It genuinely feels like a cross between Blender, Dreams, and an actual game engine due to the ability to create whatever artistic things you wish!

header.jpg

Shoot, stab, burn, poison, tear, vaporise, or crush ragdolls in a large open space.

I'll admit that this one is a bit silly, but it does include vast modding capabilities (as do a few others on this list so far) to make the experience even weirder -- it's a highly-unrealistic sandbox where you can destroy pretty much anything or anything you want in whatever way you can imagine. Even for those 5-minute-sessions, it's kind of hilarious!

5b083ee1bf52512ff0aaa70ec0a8f3a367210374c26f173df863ed60690de821

Have you ever dreamed of building your own video games? The Game Builder Garage™ software is a great place to start! Anyone can learn the basics of game design and visual programming with step-by-step lessons.

While this one might be geared toward kids, it's actually awesome for prototyping games. Everything is laid out as a simple node-based UI (meaning you don't write a single line of code), and every actual YT video I've found on it involves people my age, so I don't feel too weird recommending it. It's basically like a 'make your own game in as little time as possible' factory.

header.jpg

Retro Gadgets is a sandbox where you build, code, and customize gadgets inspired by old-school electronics.

This one is actually so insane that I don't know how it isn't more popular; you can basically create games, instruments or literal gadgets that sit on your desktop and perform actual functions. I've created drum sequencers and all sorts of other stuff with it, and I'm still just scraping the tip of the iceberg. There's a lot of depth here for creatives!

I was heavily involved with development of one for about a year - Minetest.

It's a very similar game to MineCraft but it's prettier, it's written in C instead of Java and it's open source. Essentially it's just a block building game. There are several forks, the fork that I helped originate can now be found at:

www.minetest.io

And here's a picture of a scale model of Angkor Wat that I built:

angkorwat-181005.jpg

I was heavily involved with development of one for about a year - Minetest.

It's a very similar game to MineCraft but it's prettier, it's written in C instead of Java and it's open source. Essentially it's just a block building game. There are several forks, the fork that I helped originate can now be found at:

www.minetest.io

And here's a picture of a scale model of Angkor Wat that I built:

View attachment 109783

Wow, you were involved in the development of this? I've actually been meaning to get into Minetest (on a long list of rainy day explorations) and it has fascinated me ever since I found out about it!

Wow, you were involved in the development of this?
Yes, and it was a lot of fun if a little intense for a while. Two of us spent about 4000 hours between us in less than 6 months to almost rewrite the entire thing from scratch but without the bugs.

If you have any queries or want to know more about it I'm probably the person to ask.

The engine itself is written in C but the games that you can play in it are just collections of mods written in LUA. Creating your own mods is easy and it's a great way for children and the young at heart to get an introduction in to programming.

Great topic here. I definitely want to check out some of these. Right now my only distraction is learning more French and Spanish which can feel very dry and not sandboxy at all. If fact my life feels very dry, with no fun sandbox virtual experiences. Lol

Oh boy this is one of those topics I wont shut up about if given the chance. I'll try to contain myself.

Firstly I must of course mention Minecraft. I dont think I need to explain too much about it, anyone who plays games likely knows how it works, but I do want to show something really specific:

And yeah, I know, that kinda looks prerendered at first. It isnt.

I've heard this referred to as the single greatest mod ever made for the game, and that's one heck of a tall claim. But after seeing some of it in action... yeah, I can believe that.

This isnt like, say, Tekkit either, or one of those older automation mods. No, this is a full-on engineering mod, as you can probably guess in the trailer when things happened like part of the freaking building suddenly pulling itself off and sinking into the ground. You should see what sorts of loopy things people have made with that. And of course, this all combines quite nicely with the usual Survival mode. They also have released a big modpack that takes it a step further, where your goal is to launch a rocket, but of course you're gonna have to make a whole factory and crazy stuff like that. This is a Forge mod, which means it generally plays nicely with, well, other Forge mods.

Stuff like this is the reason to pick the Java edition over Bedrock. Just be sure to also be using something like Optifine or a different optimization mod also... Minecraft just by itself likes to try to eat your GPU and such, but a mega-mod like this will bring your PC to its knees if you arent careful.

Speaking of factories we've also got:

factorio.jpg

Yeah I know this game isnt exactly new, but I know not everyone who sees this topic will know about it so I'm gonna ramble about it anyway. Your guy crash lands on a random planet, mostly uninhabited but also full of truck sized roaches for some reason (a problem you'll have to deal with later), and your goal is to build a ship to get off this rock. Like all games in the "automation" genre that this spawned, you'll start out very slow, doing a bit of mining by hand to construct your first couple of gizmos... which will get the mining automated... and soon you'll be building assemblers that you've set up to build more assemblers for you. This is one of those games that really does everthing it can to respect your playstyle, and not try to funnel you into playing the "right" way. Are you really efficient? Or do you make ridiculous spaghetti disasters like I do? Doesnt matter, it supports your playstyle and you can still reach the end goal. Like Minecraft this also has full modding, and all sorts of screwball things have been made for it. Though I strongly suggest NOT touching any of the major mods until you've launched the rocket at least once. Almost all of the mods increase the game's complexity and challenge even further.

Satisfactory_KeyArt_1_1920x1080_Logo.png

So this is basically Factorio, but played in first person in a fully 3D world. Which can be both good and bad. On one hand, yay, 3D! On the other hand, now your conveyor tangles are in full 3D! Or maybe that's just me. You can build entire giant structures to house your factories in, if you like, or just leave the various machines all over the place if you like. This is a VERY polished game and is hilariously made by the same guys who made Goat Simulator.

Okay look I could talk about JUST factory games for ages here, this particular genre outright exploded after Factorio happened, but those are the two to start with if you find yourself interested. Definitely the best introductions to the genre.

maxresdefault.jpg

Pico-8 isnt really a game on its own. I'll just let the thing's site speak for itself:

PICO-8 is a fantasy console for making, sharing and playing tiny games and other computer programs. It feels like a regular console, but runs on Windows / Mac / Linux. When you turn it on, the machine greets you with a commandline, a suite of cartridge creation tools, and an online cartridge browser called SPLORE.
The harsh limitations of PICO-8 are carefully chosen to be fun to work with, to encourage small but expressive designs, and to give cartridges made with PICO-8 their own particular look and feel.

If you've ever heard of Celeste, that game started out as a Pico-8 creation (which, needless to say, helped get people more interested in this). There's a lot going on here, and anyone who enjoys the idea of programming challenges is probably going to like this. I havent sat down with it myself yet, but I do intend to.

Pico-8 is not found on Steam. Instead, you gotta go here: PICO-8 Fantasy Console

Something that's particularly notable about this one is that games made by it are easily shared, even outside of the main program itself. You dont have to have Pico-8 to play games made in it! Which is probably why Celeste exploded.

And lastly, I'd also like to list, well... (almost) every game ever made by Zachtronics. I mean, okay, I'm not actually going to list them, just put that name into a browser and prepare yourself for a deep rabbit hole.

No mention of Kerbal Space Program yet? It may be the one of the biggest game worlds ever made, second only to No Man's Sky, with an entire solar system. And it is quite literally rocket science!

ss_9fc2032db736a2a9919aba739566a8353c2cd3cb.jpeg

Then there is Terrarria, I might get in trouble for saying it's like a 2D Minecraft... The devs never seem to stop updating this, one of my all time favourites.

wp2233411-735199311.jpeg

I havent sat down with it myself yet, but I do intend to.

Pico-8 and TIC-80 are so much fun! I have a stockpile of fantasy consoles like these if you need them or need help getting started. Most of them use either Lua or BASIC, too, which are almost identical in syntax so there's nearly no issue when switching from one to another!

I feel like I could fill this whole thread with Zachlikes, too! It genuinely feels like a territory that almost never fails because there are usually many solutions to each problem, leading to some awesome, creative algorithm-building!

Factorio... now that needs its own thread. I could write a book and I'm still only scraping the surface! Have you played any of the mods or do you mostly play vanilla?

Last edited by a moderator:
No mention of Kerbal Space Program yet?

I've been sleeping on this one and I need to wake up! I think I got it on sale for like $10 once and it just slipped through the cracks. Thank you for bringing attention to this one! (Also, from what I remember when I demoed it, I think it ran pretty OK-ish on lo-spec setups which is always a plus!)

Also, it's showing up on my 'moddable' list, which can only mean good things!

header.jpg

BASIC8 is an integrated Fantasy Computer for game and other program development. You can create, share and play disks in a modern BASIC dialect, with built-in tools for editing sprite, tiles, map, quantized, etc.

header.jpg

Bitty Engine is an itty bitty game engine, with built-in editors, programmable in Lua.

Two more fantasy consoles by the same dev. His IDEs are usually a little quirky at times, but they're still very capable engines that don't need anything from the outside world. Bitty Engine is basically like Pico-8 but with built-in physics modules and all sorts of extra stuff!

header.jpg

A Node-based pixel art generator, editor, and VFX compositor. Create beautiful and complex effects in a non-destructive manner. Pixel Composer comes with a powerful graph system that supports multiple image manipulation, feedback effects, loop, physics, and fluid simulation.

Thing thing crashes quite a bit, but it's like a souped-up pixel asset maker for people who like node-based editing. I haven't figured out everything it has to offer yet, but even on the surface it seems insanely capable. I think it has over 200 nodes or something crazy, plus a scripting interface where you can just make more nodes.

header.jpg

Powerful Realtime 3D Electronic Circuit Simulator

header.jpg

Learn CPU architecture with puzzles

header.jpg

Everything is either ON or OFF. Boolean is an open-ended problem solving game where you build circuits and send signals!

header.jpg

Virtual Circuit Board is the sandbox drawing-based logic simulator where you can build, program, decorate, and simulate anything from simple monochrome circuits to complex and colorful computers. Play with digital logic in this sandbox-only experience.

header.jpg

A good mind-breaker useful for solving a real tasks. For example, tasks that programmers solved when sending man to the Moon. Along the way, you’ll acquire Assembly programming skills and refresh your math knowledge.

header.jpg

Build. Program. Simulate. Logic World teaches you how circuits do math.

These are all more-or-less the same concept, just kind of reiterated in various ways.

header.jpg

Alan's Automaton Workshop is an open-ended programming puzzle game. Start a new business with Alan Turing and his groundbreaking innovation: the Turing Machine. Build unique automatons, and solve all kinds of problems from clients.

header.jpg

Set in a post-apocalyptic future, The Signal State puts your logic skills to the test with complex puzzles inspired by modular synthesizers. Repair machines, rebuild an abandoned farm, and be part of a revolution that will change the fate of agriculture once and for all.

These both used to not have sandbox modes, but recent updates have changed that!

On the topic of Terraria...

header.jpg

Make the world truly yours in Junk Jack, a relaxing sandbox experience focused on building and improving your home. Discover new planets, tame and breed creatures, cook foods, collect animal companions, farm exotic plants, collect fish, grow flowers, play with your friends!

header.jpg

You’ve fled your home, only to find yourself lost in space with a damaged ship. Your only option is to beam down to the planet below, repair your ship and set off to explore the universe...

header.jpg

You've inherited your grandfather's old farm plot in Stardew Valley. Armed with hand-me-down tools and a few coins, you set out to begin your new life. Can you learn to live off the land and turn these overgrown fields into a thriving home?

header.jpg

Progress with every slain monster, learn over 80 skills through talents, craft hundreds of items, and explore vast procedurally-generated worlds in this ever-expanding sandbox RPG!

header.jpg

Crash land on a hostile planet where you'll have to build the strongest defenses if you wish to live to escape from it. But be warned... this planet is merciless. Build strong, and smart; else physics may flood or destroy your only hopes of survival.

header.jpg

The highly popular and quirky "idle game that you want to actively keep playing". Explore, craft, gather & manage resources, find secrets and build your base out of nothing! Buy land to explore and expand!

header.jpg

It Lurks Below is an action-oriented, survival RPG in a randomly generated world. Fight through the massive underground dungeon, customize your character with random items and find out what evil lurks below.

New Threads

Top Bottom