• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tony Attwood

He's probably one of the few psychologists who actually understand the condition enough to discuss it in layman language and still be relatively accurate. My sense is that he actually wants to help others.

I have kin now granddaughter 6 months old looking for signs so far nothing stands out she seems unusually curious of her surroundings eyes wide open.

Meh.

My friend knows him personally. She knows a lot more about autism than he does.

She's autistic and he's not.
End of story.

She had to teach him a lot of the basics that he didn't understand.

Just saw an interesting video is autism a culture or a medical condition. This site tells me a culture.

Have heard of him of course, but never read any books by him (or anyone else for that matter who has written about autism). I limit my autism reading to studies mostly. Or scholarly articles discussing studies. Anything else leaves me unsatisfied and/or sceptical as it does not present any evidence to support the claims or opinions.

Just keeping an eye on my granddaughter as it runs in the family. Most of us did fine, good to learn more as this culture is new to me. self-diagnosed, retired had successful career. Son had learning disabilities I worked my way through them with him was successful.

I guess even with a doctorate continuous education matters.

It's not even about his level of education.
He's not autistic, so how can he be an expert?

Could I be an expert on being Chinese, or being a Scientist?
No, because I'm not either one.

Our lives aren't theoretical and we aren't reading material for NTs.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this, but I only listen to autism info by autistic people, for autistic people.

I don't read research by NTs for their professors.

Savannah is great. Hands-down, she gets it.

Have heard of him of course, but never read any books by him (or anyone else for that matter who has written about autism). I limit my autism reading to studies mostly. Or scholarly articles discussing studies. Anything else leaves me unsatisfied and/or sceptical as it does not present any evidence to support the claims or opinions.
Personally, I would trust a psychiatric diagnosis more than one by a psychologist after all our brains are wired differently.

Personally, I would trust a psychiatric diagnosis more than one by a psychologist after all our brains are wired differently.

Maybe it's odd, but the psychological aspects both intimidate and don't interest me much. It's a hard line of thought for me to retain and apply. And so much is theoretical,

I mostly try an take a practical approach. It's actually a very complicated set of people but we are still all homo sapiens sapiens and have much commonality. Unless that theory about autism being a new stage in evolution is actually true.... Nah. :)

But I do like the genetic studies and investigations of brain construction, MRI patterns etc. Thats data I can sort of sink my teeth in. (Sinking my teeth in data, not brains). That part fascinates me.

My older brother was always different. Got diagnosed by my second cousin when he was in his twenties. As having a mental health issue worked for years as a computer programming genius. Lost job suspect due to anxiety issues looking back he was probably on the spectrum never diagnosed. died from stroke just prior to his 66 birthday.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this, but I only listen to autism info by autistic people, for autistic people.

I don't read research by NTs for their professors.

Savannah is great. Hands-down, she gets it.
"There's some sort of deficiency in me that can be fixed with mental effort". What can I say? Just spot on. She's eloquent - a touch maudlin, but that's the age I guess.

Also: "It's like the population of a small country have been trying to contort themselves into a shape that they never could have possibly made, and they're doing it quietly, so as not to to inconvenience anyone with their suffering. Certain it's their fault for not understanding. Feeling like there's some distinct lack in them that could be repaired if only they tried harder."

And as a man, so having lived this as a man, I can't help but wonder if the terrible suicide rate amongst men might relate to undiagnosed, middle aged folks who have failed to become the emotionally available, NT model that is required and get labelled as unreconstructed dinosaurs. The guys with their sheds, who fiddle with the car engine, who have train sets, who struggle to process emotions, who always try to solve problems when their partner want to talk. Here's hoping that with the extra information and identification we can avoid the sadness and mental pressure Savannah describes.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
"There's some sort of deficiency in me that can be fixed with mental effort". What can I say? Just spot on. She's eloquent - a touch maudlin, but that's the age I guess.

Also: "It's like the population of a small country have been trying to contort themselves into a shape that they never could have possibly made, and they're doing it quietly, so as not to to inconvenience anyone with their suffering. Certain it's their fault for not understanding. Feeling like there's some distinct lack in them that could be repaired if only they tried harder."

And as a man, so having lived this as a man, I can't help but wonder if the terrible suicide rate amongst men might relate to undiagnosed, middle aged folks who have failed to become the emotionally available, NT model that is required and get labelled as unreconstructed dinosaurs. The guys with their sheds, who fiddle with the car engine, who have train sets, who struggle to process emotions, who always try to solve problems when their partner want to talk. Here's hoping that with the extra information and identification we can avoid the sadness and mental pressure Savannah describes.

Thanks for the link.

You're welcome. She's amazing, not only because she says the standard things we all say, but because she says it with such warmth and compassion. Most of the autistic women I follow are lightyears ahead of NT Tony and the boys when it comes to articulating autism. Maybe that should be the new catch phrase "Articulating Autism", rather than "Autism Awareness" which still makes autism feel like us vs. them, as if we're bugs in a jar being promoted for public observation, tolerance, and pity.

Another I really like is Stefanie Bethany.

It would be better to go to a psychiatrist who is familiar with autism, obviously.
Our characteristics can be misinterpreted for something else.

Unless that theory about autism being a new stage in evolution is actually true.... Nah. :)
I doubt it, also. lol
We aren't the best ppl at procreation.
If the fate of the species were left to us, humanity would probably become extinct. :laughing:

New Threads

Top Bottom