• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This would normally depress me.

SimonSays

Van Dweller
V.I.P Member
I’ve just finished washing the stink off my fingers after having eaten at KFC. The food was awful. The chicken was greasy and not cooked enough. It had a strange smell to it too. It came with a drink, although they had nothing on tap that wasn't sugar free. I wanted something without chemical sweeteners, but it was like I was speaking a foreign language.

"I think Pepsi Max has sugar in it”, the young assistant stated. I knew she was wrong, especially as it said ‘no sugar’ right on the front of the display. Eventually I accepted a blackcurrant and lemon drink, making sure it was carbonated which she said it was. When I tasted it, it was flat. She had no idea what she was doing. What has happened to staff training? I finally accepted a different drink, just to stop having to do this, which was barely sparkling and almost flavourless.

I never go into fast food places normally, and I see how much they've changed. And yet people were queueing up behind me as if it was good. The chicken was half the size and barely coated. Col Sanders would have been most upset.

Obviously I won't be going back, but it is disappointing to see how much things have changed and how little people seem to notice. If KFC’s profits were affected by people not buying they wares, they would bring back quality real quick, but people have accepted it and why would KFC need to do so as they can make even more profit this way.

I don't go into McDonald's now either, having had a similar experience on more than one occasion. The thought of fast food is usually far better than the taste, and yet it seems like everybody is still consuming it as if it is exactly how it always was. Perhaps they consume it so much they haven't noticed the gradual decline.

Because of what's taken place over the last few years, the idea of what constitutes a good takeaway has changed, and the expectation of what it should be like is lower. If people complained or stopped going there, things might go back. I didn't complain because I don't care about it changing as I won't be going back. But I had no idea how bad it had got. The chicken never used to smell like that. The pieces used to be bigger, and expensive as it is, compared to what you’d buy in the supermarket to cook in the oven, the temptation was usually worth it. Not anymore.

Instead, I take my time to find ingredients from the supermarket. But then I have the time. The alternative for those who don’t, or who don't want to cook, is to spend money on takeaway. I would often complain about the quality of what the locals thought was good when I lived in America, comparing it to how it used to be in the UK. The ironic thing is that now, it's as bad here.

After I left the restaurant it felt like I’d just wasted my money. I’d made a huge mistake, and not too long ago this would have bothered me to the point of becoming depressed by it. But now I see it as paying for a much-needed lesson, and I won't make the same mistake again. So a small price to pay I suppose.

She had no idea what she was doing. What has happened to staff training?

I can answer this one:

They're not paid enough, or treated well enough, to care (and often dont exactly have much energy due to this). I know if I was in her position I'd be like 5x worse and would eventually just start smashing things.

Well... I've been in her position, though it's been a long time. But I sure as bloody hell remember what it was like and how it tended to just make me not care about anything at all. The smiles were always fake. Always.

Pespi max does have sugar in it. Aspertine.
Aside from chicken strips and their mashed potatoes I don't get much from KFC. I miss nineties version KFC. Chicken was very good then.

I'm very picky about food. Like it real and plain. But my wife's taken me to Chick-fil-A several times and I'd say it's not bad.

I've never had or been to Kentucky Fried. Even as a kid I thought there was something strange about Col Sanders. The chair he's sitting in looks like a hand-me-down from Count Dracula.

xmaseve_colsanders837.jpg

The cheap oil used in KFC chicken nowadays leaves a funny aftertaste in my mouth that lingers for HOURS. It never used to do that. I simply can not eat most fast food nowadays because it makes me physically ill. Something to consider is that with inflation and most people's meager paychecks they can't afford anything except fast food, and get fat and sick from lack of nutrients. The diet of most Americans consists of heavily processed corn products, wheat, and refined sugar. They simply can't afford anything else. I saw an article about how an Australian model walked into a US Walmart and commented that all they seemed to sell was cheap sugared foods and heavily processed lunchmeats. She said that Whole Foods was more like a typical Down Under supermarket, but she was blown away by the cost-two bags of food cost US$158 which she estimated was around AU$228.

The treatment of the workers in KFC is perhaps slightly better than the way they treat the chickens.

I don't eat fast food if I can help it.

I ate gas station fried chicken last week, 1000x better than anything at KFC. Everything's soggy there like they gave the chicken a shower. For some reason my parents only bought KFC and for a while I thought I'd just imagined what actual fried chicken tastes like.

I figure if I have consumed the food and gained the calories, the money was not wasted.

If it is so bad I cannot eat it, then I wasted the money. I am not a person who goes to demand their money back.

I'm very picky about food. Like it real and plain. But my wife's taken me to Chick-fil-A several times and I'd say it's not bad.
I tried Chick-fil-A when I was in the US and would agree it's not bad at all. We don't have that chain in the UK though.
Pespi max does have sugar in it. Aspertine.
You mean Aspartame. A chemical sweetener. Not sugar.
I miss nineties version KFC. Chicken was very good then.
Agreed.

It is a long story but this year we have been couch surfing in the U.S. for almost the entirety of 6 months! So that means we have eaten a lot of meals from restaurants and fast food. I am heartily sick of eating out all of the time.

Prior to this I hadn't eaten any fast food in 5 years. Restaurants, yes, but fast food never.

And now I can tell you with 100% accuracy fast food is not always "fast" and it is almost never really cheaper!

My biggest culinary lesson learned this year is that food trucks have under gone some very significant improvements. Most of the time the food from "roach coach" type food trucks have actually been the best, freshest, tastiest and cheapest food around. Taco trucks often have better Mexican food than restaurants! BBQ trucks and breakfast sandwich trucks are also usually good.

I totally aggree about KFC!

Road warrior tip of the day, if you don't mind hot dogs, Costco in the U.S. sells a huge 100% beef hot dog with a drink for $1.50. And you don't have to be a Costco member to eat there. They are very good hot dogs!

Certainly agree with the quality of not only fast foods gradual downfall, but, even eat in
restaurants.

KFC was good back in the '80s. It went down in taste and quality and most of them are now closed
in the area I live in. It's become hard to find a good place for pizza also.
So many restaurants have not recovered from the shut downs of 2020.
Less choice menus, not enough workers and a large turn over of employees that don't stay long
enough to learn the food industry.

We are still having odd food shortages in the stores here too.
Half and Half and creme is very hard to find right now.
Times have definitely changed the past few years and even back since late 1990's
I've noticed.

Not just food either. Clothing and department stores are more expensive with items of poorer quality.

It is a long story but this year we have been couch surfing in the U.S. for almost the entirety of 6 months! So that means we have eaten a lot of meals from restaurants and fast food. I am heartily sick of eating out all of the time.

Prior to this I hadn't eaten any fast food in 5 years. Restaurants, yes, but fast food never.

And now I can tell you with 100% accuracy fast food is not always "fast" and it is almost never really cheaper!

My biggest culinary lesson learned this year is that food trucks have under gone some very significant improvements. Most of the time the food from "roach coach" type food trucks have actually been the best, freshest, tastiest and cheapest food around. Taco trucks often have better Mexican food than restaurants! BBQ trucks and breakfast sandwich trucks are also usually good.

I totally aggree about KFC!

Road warrior tip of the day, if you don't mind hot dogs, Costco in the U.S. sells a huge 100% beef hot dog with a drink for $1.50. And you don't have to be a Costco member to eat there. They are very good hot dogs!
I am a big fan of Costco food. Especially pizza.

New Threads

Top Bottom