• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things That Worsen, Stay The Same Or Improve Over Time

Your mental/emotional state over time??

• Yes, the further forward in time we go, the worse I've gradually become.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No, I'm not better or worse now than I was years ago.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Actually, I've been feeling better and better as time has gone by.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Hopeless_Aspie_Guy

Ok so I gotta try and get this question to make sense and ask all it can.

So many NT's will always believe that 'any' problem/outlook (no matter how big or small) has the means to improve over time and they'd probably have you beleive that they can even be totally cured/removed (barring things like aspergers/autism itself).

So my question is what things in your own life you see improving, which ones stay the same (perhaps despite seeming better or worse) and which ones only seem to worsen over time?

I ask this because it just seems like people can't appreciate that sometimes depression/anxiety can only be treated and not cured and will a psychiatrist have the wisdom to see this or will he/she always assume (the impossible) that you could be made to be as happy as you were years ago?

A few of my own examples I'll give is;

My ability to remain motivated and enthusiastic and passionate about things (hobbies and interests for example) has worsened at varying speeds every single year since I was about 13, but only really became bad/scary from about early 2011 (and has NEVER improved since, nor do I expect it to, though I wish it did).

My ability to solve the perceived problems has largely remained the same for many years.

The sexual desire I had for women (which was intensified by the onset of my depression/anxiety years ago) has definitely worsened but eventually improved (though not in all areas).

My ability to remain motivated and enthusiastic and passionate about things (hobbies and interests for example) has worsened at varying speeds every single year since I was about 13, but only really became bad/scary from about early 2011 (and has NEVER improved since, nor do I expect it to, though I wish it did).

My ability to be motivated to do things that I enjoy has definitely worsened over the past few years, and even more so in the past few months. There's many things I could be doing, that I know I would enjoy but part of the problem is picking one and to be honest I don't even have the want to even do that.

I have a comic con in March, and I need to make hats for it, but I just..haven't. I know I will eventually, but then it'll be a mad rush.

Great post. I AGREE. Always thinking we can get better and yet when they get a hangnail, they whine for months.

This post bring up so much. I think things can at least remain stable until we age or a life events throws it all out. That happened to me and I knew it would happen because my rituals and scedule are so tight, and I knew if ANYTHING screwed that up, I was toast.

SO when I list things that are worse, keep in mind, it was after an accident with TBI. But it could have been something much less drastic.

WORSE:
1. Social. This tanked so much I literally have NO FRIENDS, but it's way better than trying and failing, so I am OK with that.
2. Being touched...HATE IT!!! Way worse, I cannot even stand a Dr to touch me, though I can still make a few exceptions, and by that I mean I am able to receive hugs from a scant few.
3. Food way worse, digestion impossible, having to move all the time. Isolation way "worse" but to me it's comforting, so it's not bad at all.

BETTER:
1. Meltdowns believe it or not ! Since I found out I have autism they went way down.
2, Confusion is less.
3. Less fear now because now i KNOW how I am likely to respond in a situation and people believe me. Before, if i said I would NOT get a lump biopsied, the Drs were all perplexed and pushing. Now they get it. It won't happen unless they take drastic measures like inhospital or something.
4. Realism . ....no more thinking I am going to finish uni or work. Not gonna happen.

NOT SURE:
1. SEnsory issues go up and down. That all depends on what I am exposed to and when, etc.
2. Sleep also is up and down. Since accident, somewhat better.

Overall, aging with it and knowing I have it is WAY better than being 20 and unaware with it.

Most of my issues fluctuate. The lowest point of my life was between the ages of 15 and 17, when depression and social anxiety left me suicidal and unable to leave the house. With medication and therapy I steadily improved over the following years until i was depression free and able to manage my anxiety well at the age of 20. However in recent months, starting about half was through last year (aged 26) I once again began to lose control of my anxiety levels and then began struggling with depression.

As for motivation, it fluctuates wildly dependant upon my current circumstances (it has recently crashed due to depression), but I have more self-discipline and am far more organised than when i was younger to I manage better.

Socially I have improved throughout my life but still have difficultly maintaining friendship long term.

Sensory issues haven't improved in themselves, but I have become better at managing them.

My self-esteem and confidence have only increased throughout my life.

I would say that since I discovered aspergers and found out I get obsessed very easy; never recognised I was obsessed, just an interest, I am able, up to a certain point, to stem an obsession. Not all the time, but depends on the subject and goal.

I don't feel quite so embarrassed if I need space.

But anxiety never changes and social anxiety is worse now, but have a greater understanding.

I used to make a lot of social gaffes,mainly through trying too hard to fit in; i.e. making jokes that didn't quite work or over-milking jokes; being a bit tactless on occasion. If I was having a conversation and was interrupted, I'd have to finish what I was saying, and would go back to the topic after the interruption was over, no matter how long it had gone on for. Sometimes, I'd inadvertently embarrass somebody in public, usually by saying something funny but inappropriate in a loud voice. Now I don't do these things as I've become aware of them and have prayerfully managed to overcome them.

Keeping my voice down can be a challenge sometimes, usually when I'm stressed or excited; I sometimes go too far the other way and people ask me to speak up!

I've alway stimmed, usually by fidgetting with my hands, thumbs or feet, or fiddling with my hair. Only in the past year or so have I started rocking, I don't know why! I keep this under control if in a room with other people by doing something with my hands or sitting on them, and leaning back onto the back of the chair or wall.

I go round and round in circles with thoughts, but am now aware of it, and when I catch myself doing it, manage to stop and move on.

I have few sensory issues, mainly loud/background noise, bright light, and these haven't changed.

This makes so much more sense when you read
the word 'gaffes' as 'gaffes' and not 'giraffes.'

Although I'd like to see a batch of social giraffes.
That would be pleasant, I think.

New Threads

Top Bottom