• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things that should bother me, don't, and things that shouldn't bother me, do.

Telsa

Mr. Brown Shoes
No specific examples because I could list a million of them or try to give one example that would fall short of what I'm trying to get across.

I have noticed that things that should bother me, don't, and things that shouldn't bother, do. Things that most people find to be big issues I tend to think are made up and irrelevant, like they're trying to find a problem in or with something; and small things that most people don't think about cause meltdowns. Does anyone else have this issue, and is it typical of an Aspie?

Thought provoking.

I get the idea that I should be a lot more disturbed about my station in life. I don't have all the "stuff" that a man my age apparently is supposed to have. None of that really intrudes upon my consciousness.

I'm not the slightest bit concerned about unfairness, as it applies to me.

What does trouble me...I really need my space. The daily, inevitable, and unavoidable inconsiderate acts by others; taking up two seats on the subway, cutting me off on the sidewalk...trivial stuff, but it takes a fair bit of effort to restrain myself, think it through, and let it go.

Noise. Need I say more?

I feel the same sometimes. The other day I was sharing an incident with my therapist to explain to her how I obsess about little things. I am considered a 'minority' in my country, so when I went to see my orthopedic surgeon for the first time, he asked if "we all go to the same church?!" Lol! I answered "No, but we ALL know each other!!!". It was a joke that he didn't get, since he answered "I figured."
I obsessed about it the whole evening, whether or not I should have told him it was a joke and we DON'T actually all know each other. I wasn't in the least bit offended.
My therapist however said that she would definitely have been!
This doesn't offend me, but chew your food loudly in my presence and fantasies of throat punching you start rolling in my mind!

No specific examples because I could list a million of them or try to give one example that would fall short of what I'm trying to get across.

I have noticed that things that should bother me, don't, and things that shouldn't bother, do. Things that most people find to be big issues I tend to think are made up and irrelevant, like they're trying to find a problem in or with something; and small things that most people don't think about cause meltdowns. Does anyone else have this issue, and is it typical of an Aspie?

Dang! Yes indeed. WHy wold it bother me that I can hear a clock ticking three doors down? And why does it NOT bother me that I could care less if I am wearing the same clothes I wore yesterday ?

Hmmm. It is like I am all backwards about everything. Maybe autism is our DNA is backwards, not wrong or mixed up, just a mirror image and the scientists cannot see it because it looks like in the right order.

I hear you there.

I'm not bothered about showering everyday or changing my clothes everyday, I don't change my bedding as regularly as I should, housework is not my priority (I do enough so its clean and tidy - but it takes all my strength to do it.. I don't dust or iron or even really put clothes away...) I'm not bothered about spending days and weeks indoors.

But noisy kids, screaming, crying, pointless chatter, summer weather, people walking too slowly, scraping knives/forks on teeth or plates or glass, not being able to find the right clothes, lateness... all these things make me rage.

This! All of it! :D
I'm not bothered about showering everyday or changing my clothes everyday, I don't change my bedding as regularly as I should, housework is not my priority (I do enough so its clean and tidy - but it takes all my strength to do it.. I don't dust or iron or even really put clothes away...) I'm not bothered about spending days and weeks indoors.

But noisy kids, screaming, crying, pointless chatter, summer weather, people walking too slowly, scraping knives/forks on teeth or plates or glass, not being able to find the right clothes, lateness... all these things make me rage.

Minuscule things to others send me into a rage with a headache afterwards. Random stupid noise, my neighbors daughter who visits her elderly parents twenty times a day, and slams her car doors constantly.

The poor barking pugs that are never walked, on my street. The elderly man who uses a leaf blower in the winter to blow snow off his steps. Which can be heard two blocks away. The backup sounds of trucks and plows distract from my focus on things that I want to concentrate on.

Last edited:
After visiting some of our neighbours who need to use the car horn when they are leaving..

THEY ALREADY KNOW YOUR'E LEAVING.

Years ago,once a week, this guy used to do it. I wished him dead out loud and he did die shortly afterwards.

I tend to think it's a coincidence as my magic power hasn't worked again :)

Although I will be right in the end.......

I have recently been accepted for a mortgage for my new home, my girlfriend panicked quite a bit as it took 27 days do go through and we were told that it would take a maximum of 10 days.
I didn't see the point of panicking over it, if it went through great, if it didn't there isn't anything you can do it's out of my hands.​

Punctuality, I have being late, ever, so always plan everything in advance. If I have made an arrangement to meet someone or do something at a specific time, whether it be something important or casual, it can send me into a panic.
I hate being late as I consider it to be rude. Although I enjoyed school but somehow managed to be late quite a lot. My girlfriend understands relating to the important meetings but when it comes to the smaller casual things she tries to get me to relax.​

My uncle passed away, I wish I got to know him better, it sounds bad but I wasn't ever super upset about it, and then my childhood dog passed, not upset, both of them had great lives. They wouldn't want me to be upset anyways.
I re-wear everything until it has B.O honestly. I'm conserving water resources guys. No friends? No problem. My toenails a bit on the longer side...? Out of sight, out of mind. You know what? I could just tell you what's in my closet, meant for clothes. Seed collection, beetle larvae I raise, shells and rocks, perler beads, two jackets I never wear, 50% dirty clothes.

My mom tells me I shouldn't of laughed about an upcoming earthquake
I cry
The people we visited try to change subject, try to talk about my shelter volunteering
I only answer their questions with yes or no, sniffling

New Threads

Top Bottom