• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things only you would get upset about

Keith

What are some things that only you would get upset about?

1) The fact that Yakub, Jacques, Iago, Jacobo, Iacobo, etc. translate to James and not Jacob.
2) The fact that Toyota dealers can sell used Chevrolets and vice versa.
3) The fact that the Monterey Historics can allow 1940s racecars in a late fifties to early sixties race group.
4) The fact that my city library has no sections for horror, fantasy, or adventure novels.
5) The fact that my city library doesn't observe all seasonal-themed kids books as "holiday".
6) The fact that no one has considered that the "I feel asleep!" quote from Metal Gear for the NES is actually a typo. He feels sleepy, falls asleep, and then wakes up and is supposed to yell "I fell asleep!".
7) The fact that "everytime", "alright", and "eachother" aren't words.
8) Anglicizations to some extent. Monty Carlo, Passo Robulls, Los Bawnos, etc. drive me nuts.
9) The fact that cowboy and outlaw mean the same thing.
10) People pronouncing Renault as Ren-alt, Veloce as velochee, etc. I've even heard Fiat pronounced Fee-it. No one pronounces it that way.
11) The fact that rebell isn't a word.

Last edited:
Recently I was screencapping the House of Mouse episode "Snow Day" and there was a segment where Mickey went out and interviewed people on the street. The first person he encountered was Scrooge McDuck, but the animators drew Scrooge all wrong so he looked like Ludwig Von Drake! o_O Grrrrr, I can't believe Disney let that slip, but no one else seems to care about stuff like this.

In this movie, a fictionalized account of the making of F.W. Murnau's 1921 version of Nosferatu, cinematographer Fritz Arno Wagner is depicted as being killed even though in reality he would later go on to shoot several major German films, including Fritz Lang's M, and died in a car accident decades after Nosferatu was made (and somehow that bothers me a lot more than actor Max Schreck being portrayed as a real-life vampire):

Shadow of the Vampire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, it bugs me that the 10th, 11th, and 12th months of the Gregorian calendar are called October, November, and December since those names are derived from the Latin words for
8, 9, and 10. Also, every once in a while, I might get worked up about how the names for the days of the week that we use in English don't all correspond directly to planets or other celestial bodies like the names for the days of the week in the Romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian, etc.):

Names of the days of the week - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sunday, Monday, Marsday, Mercoliday (Mercury), Joveday (Jupiter), Veneriday (Venus), Saturday. What would be so difficult about that? Stupid Germanic peoples had to ruin it by sticking in a few of their own gods, grrr.

While I'm at it, I may as well also gripe a little about how, as Neil DeGrasse Tyson once pointed out, astronomers had to invent the slightly goofy word "Venusian" to describe things relating to the planet Venus since the doctors got to the word "Venereal" first.

How you can no longer snap the lid on the bottom of the Pringles can while you eat them. When I was younger it would snap on and was a convenient place to store it. Now they changed it, it just falls off and you have to find a temporary home for the lid.

When my husband hangs out the washing and uses different coloured clothes pins on each piece of clothing. They have to match! I have to hold myself back from going out and rehanging it... To be fair though, if thats all I can think to complain about then things aren't all that bad :p

In this movie, a fictionalized account of the making of F.W. Murnau's 1921 version of Nosferatu, cinematographer Fritz Arno Wagner is depicted as being killed even though in reality he would later go on to shoot several major German films, including Fritz Lang's M, and died in a car accident decades after Nosferatu was made (and somehow that bothers me a lot more than actor Max Schreck being portrayed as a real-life vampire):

Shadow of the Vampire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, it bugs me that the 10th, 11th, and 12th months of the Gregorian calendar are called October, November, and December since those names are derived from the Latin words for
8, 9, and 10. Also, every once in a while, I might get worked up about how the names for the days of the week that we use in English don't all correspond directly to planets or other celestial bodies like the names for the days of the week in the Romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian, etc.):

Names of the days of the week - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sunday, Monday, Marsday, Mercoliday (Mercury), Joveday (Jupiter), Veneriday (Venus), Saturday. What would be so difficult about that? Stupid Germanic peoples had to ruin it by sticking in a few of their own gods, grrr.

While I'm at it, I may as well also gripe a little about how, as Neil DeGrasse Tyson once pointed out, astronomers had to invent the slightly goofy word "Venusian" to describe things relating to the planet Venus since the doctors got to the word "Venereal" first.

October, November, and December bug me too. I think it's because the Julian calendar has two months after them.

What bugs me about the days of the week is:

Day of the Sun
Day of the Moon
Day of Tyr
Day of Wodin
Day of Thor
Day of Freja
Day of...Saturn?

What about Loki or some other Norse god?

What are some things that only you would get upset about?

1) The fact that Yakub, Jacques, Iago, Jacobo, Iacobo, etc. translate to James and not Jacob.
Actually James and Jacob are considered to be the same name. And that bothers me.

I was confused for the longest time about why the period when James I of England/James VI of Scotland was king was called the "Jacobean" era (it's because Jacobus is the Latin form of James, and I guess it was just fancier-sounding than "Jamesian," similarly, the reign of King Charles I is called the Caroline era).

The fact that they are no longer teaching children the color "indigo" in the rainbow, or colors in general.

It's true!! Ask any five year old you know how many colors are in the rainbow. I was ALWAYS taught 7. My sister was ALWAYS taught 7. My boyfriend has no idea what the colors actually are, but he knows there's 7! Five year olds today? 6!!!

Whose idea was it to wreck that ideal? 7 is the number of perfection! You take indigo away and it's all anarchy now!

And it's not like these colors were made up just willie nillie! Oh no! They were identified by Sir Isaac Newton! Who decided "oh, forget what that guy said. Not like he was a scientist or something. Seven colors is just too many." It's not like he discovered gravity or anything. We just going to forgo that little earthbound concept as well?

One could make a case for 6 colors in the rainbow since that was the number of main colors in Goethe's color wheel:

Goethe%2C_Farbenkreis_zur_Symbolisierung_des_menschlichen_Geistes-_und_Seelenlebens%2C_1809.jpg

Theory of Colours - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact that they are no longer teaching children the color "indigo" in the rainbow, or colors in general.

It's true!! Ask any five year old you know how many colors are in the rainbow. I was ALWAYS taught 7. My sister was ALWAYS taught 7. My boyfriend has no idea what the colors actually are, but he knows there's 7! Five year olds today? 6!!!

Whose idea was it to wreck that ideal? 7 is the number of perfection! You take indigo away and it's all anarchy now!

And it's not like these colors were made up just willie nillie! Oh no! They were identified by Sir Isaac Newton! Who decided "oh, forget what that guy said. Not like he was a scientist or something. Seven colors is just too many." It's not like he discovered gravity or anything. We just going to forgo that little earthbound concept as well?

Is it true that they don't teach colors anymore? That's awful. First cursive and now colors. What's next, math? At this rate in a century we'll all be like neanderthals again.

My wife never puts the strainer in the kitchen sink the right way. (That's the little metal basket that also acts as a stopper and has been long lost in almost every home.) It's simple: There is a rectangular slot in the drain opening, and when the stem on the strainer is aligned with the slot it goes all the way down and stops up the sink. When it is turned 90 degrees the stem only goes part way in and the strainer stays raised up, where it lets the water drain but it catches large things.

When it is in the right position, it is out of the way and it lets the water drain well. When it is in another position, it gets in the way and doesn't drain as well. It's bad enough that she won't put it in right, but when I put it where it belongs she takes it out and puts it back wrong.
Drain0004.jpg

My wife never puts the strainer in the kitchen sink the right way. (That's the little metal basket that also acts as a stopper and has been long lost in almost every home.) It's simple: There is a rectangular slot in the drain opening, and when the stem on the strainer is aligned with the slot it goes all the way down and stops up the sink. When it is turned 90 degrees the stem only goes part way in and the strainer stays raised up, where it lets the water drain but it catches large things.

When it is in the right position, it is out of the way and it lets the water drain well. When it is in another position, it gets in the way and doesn't drain as well. It's bad enough that she won't put it in right, but when I put it where it belongs she takes it out and puts it back wrong.View attachment 10713

Well that is pretty annoying, but did you ever wondered why she does that? And did you ever tell that you are irritated (If I interpret your post right) by her putting the strainer back the wrong way?

National Geographic Channel producing a show about a "Nazi Scrapbook" implying from a single photograph that the adjutant (Karl Höcker) to the camp Kommandant of Aushwitz was physically present during the selection process for people to be gassed. The photograph in question showed a man with his back to the camera where "digital graphics experts" claimed using various methods of determining height and body characteristics that it was indeed Karl Höcker.

Nonsense. Anyone who knew German uniforms could see from the back of the man's uniform that the person in question was in fact a non-commissioned officer. (Karl Höcker was an officer of the SS. Not an NCO). NCO's had a very distinct ribbon around the lower part of their uniform collar and shoulder straps as well as a primitive strap barely visible to the side- not braid on his Schirmmütze (peaked cap).

Apparently a number of persons like myself emailed the United States Holocaust Museum Archivist Rebecca Erberding of the same observation. She concurred as well. Eventually National Geographic somewhat addressed this inaccuracy but in a rather lame way, reediting the original broadcast.

The real tragedy is that our legal system failed to promptly and adequately prosecute Karl Höcker on the most fundamental grounds. That he was adjutant to the camp Kommandant of Auschwitz. That alone should have been sufficient IMO for the man to have received the harshest decision of the court. Instead he served little time and went on to become a successful banker in civilian life.

Yeah, I suppose it's a weird peeve. But it did piss me off that National Geo could screw up like that.

Last edited:
Well that is pretty annoying, but did you ever wondered why she does that? And did you ever tell that you are irritated (If I interpret your post right) by her putting the strainer back the wrong way?

I have shown her the right way to do it a few times. But it is not such a big deal that I am going to make an issue of it. I post it here because it is an amusing example of one of those quirky things that only I would get upset about and no one else cares about.:D

I have shown her the right way to do it a few times. But it is not such a big deal that I am going to make an issue of it. I post it here because it is an amusing example of one of those quirky things that only I would get upset about and no one else cares about.:D
Wow, I'm sorry. For some weird reason I totally missed that people post things here that they get upset about but others don't even care :(

Librarians who can't seem to tell the difference between fantasy and science fiction. It's not that difficult. Books with dragons on the cover should not be in the sci-fi section.

Of course, there are plenty of writers out there like Jack Vance, George R.R. Martin, Michael Moorcock, Roger Zelazny, Fritz Leiber, etc., who have a foot in both genres, and there's stuff going back to the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs that could be considered both (or maybe "science fantasy" or "planetary fantasy" or whatever you want to call it), so the line between SF and Fantasy can get a little blurry. My local library has SF and Fantasy books in the same section (But most horror is in the General Fiction, oddly enough), having books by the above writers in different sections of the library for somewhat arbitrary reasons would bug me.

And, of course, covers can be a bit deceiving, like this one for Jack Vance's collected Dying Earth series which makes it look like SF when I would categorize it more as fantasy (albeit with SF elements):

dying-earth-2.jpg

And yes, science fiction can have dragons in it sometimes:

Dragonriders of Pern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Librarians who can't seem to tell the difference between fantasy and science fiction. It's not that difficult. Books with dragons on the cover should not be in the sci-fi section.

One could make a case for 6 colors in the rainbow since that was the number of main colors in Goethe's color wheel.

What an interesting read! And yes that is the color wheel taught in art class. I'm more concerned about the rainbow always being taught as 7. Just one of those things that only bothers me! :p

Is it true that they don't teach colors anymore? That's awful. First cursive and now colors. What's next, math? At this rate in a century we'll all be like neanderthals again.

I'm truly frightened for the future generations. I'm seriously considering home schooling my children (if I have any).

New Threads

Top Bottom