• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The last thing you bought?

There was a garage fire in my neighborhood last Sunday night that had some nice older machinery in it that got a lot of smoke damage and rust from the water when they put the fire out. I scored a huge pile tools and equipment when I was given the permission to salvage what I could before the building demolition began on Thursday.
It was a get it out of there or lose it situation that took most of my day Wednesday to sort thru the rubble and gather what I wanted. In the pile was a 100 pound anvil,an oldschool 6 inch Columbian bench vise,a drill press and a Kwikway commercial cylinder boring bar and all the required tooling for it.

My best piece was this 1950s South Bend toolroom lathe in restorable condition with a nice tooling package and two work holding chucks.

I should be able to make this machine shiny again and be able to see this puppy run over the course of winter much like the 1952 Logan lathe I restored and upgraded over the past two winters.

Some of you might want to vomit when you see my new gem until you see how well I can clean her up with the right equipment and some elbow grease. The tailstock has already been disassembled and stripped bare of dirt,rust and smoke damage and is now ready for new paint and oil.

fire damaged South Bend 9A.jpg
tailstock all nasty.jpg
20161021_163831.jpg
20161021_163841.jpg

Last edited:
A Lego Friends set for my Niece's birthday in mid January next year, and a Patsy Cline CD and bottle of Whisky for Dad's birthday on Monday, plus some wrapping paper for both gifts.

I also bought a bottle of red Wine for Mum, and some cheap Beers for myself, I would've bought Beer when I go shopping on Monday but I was in Tesco anyway buying the Whisky, so I thought I'd get everything in one trip.

Earlier this week I bought a collection of Barbie dolls on eBay for my Niece's Christmas present, I'll probably end up having to go and collect them from the Post Office though as I'm out all day for work on Tuesday, the advertised delivery day, unless the Postie has the thought to leave the package with one of my Neighbours.

Only trouble is, I've now spent most of my loot, that's supposed to last me the full 2 weeks till I get paid again.

Last week I bought the tickets for the "Sunny Afternoon" musical at the Lyceum that we've just got back from seeing, excellent show especially if you're old enough to remember the songs of The Kinks from the 60s, I'm not but having worked in Hospital Radio I kind of have a thing for 60s music in general.

Also bought Taxi fares there and back.

On Tuesday I paid £10 for a haircut! The guy wanted to charge me £15 but I was like, WTF?! So he just charged £10, if I'd gone in the other Barber's next door I'd have paid £3.99 for my haircut.

At lunch time I bought a Subway sandwich, a bag of crisps and a small Coke, then a bit later I bought a TV guide.

10 cr123a batteries. So many cameras use them, such a nightmare as they flatten so quickly. Unlike most other batteries there isn't a safe, reliable rechargeable version either.

A Kinks CD, and a foot long Cheese and Ham sandwich from Subway, and a small Diet Coke.

And last Friday I bought 2 tickets to see Doctor Strange at Cineworld, plus a Coke and a bag of M and Ms (being diabetic I shouldn't really have those regular, but now and again doesn't hurt)

Two pints of 35% cream, to make butter and buttermilk. Glycerin to preserve some fall foliage for an art project.

Food shopping and Lottery tickets from Tesco, I also decided to try my luck on a scratch card and won £2!

Printer cartridges, a black and a 3 colour one for £24.98 from Argos in Town.

Last edited:
I paid £17.99 cash for a Lego Ninjago set for my Nephew's birthday next year, I might have to take it back tomorrow though, because if my Parents, or worse, my Brother find out I spent £18 on our Harvey, I'll get hung, drawn and quartered!

I also bought 2 dog related 2017 Calendars, a Flat Coated Retriever one for Dad and one with pictures of West Highland White Terriers for me because I like little dogs like those, such as the one that won Crufts 6 months ago

I took the Lego back earlier and got a full refund, which I'll save towards next week's food shopping.

I also bought a foot long Cheese and Ham Subway sandwich, a bag of Quavers and a Coke for £4.50.

Last edited:
Just got back from Meadowhall, bought WWE 2K17 on Xbox One which I'll put away till Christmas, I also bought 2 chocolate Advent Calendars for the kids, they were 2 for a fiver in WH Smith's, I also bought this week's TV Choice magazine, with all next week's soap spoilers.

Suavecito Pomade for my messy hair lol. Before that something more interesting, a couple of gearmotors for an electronic project I'm working.

Last night I went on eBay and ordered Volume 1 of Terrahawks on DVD to replace the disc 1 of the box set I bought from Amazon a few years back, I am to collect it from Argos next week, I also bought the book of the movie "Street Cat named Bob" on eBay, also to be collected from Argos next week.

I've just bought a pair of Martial Arts Pumps (Slippers), kind of like the late great Bruce Lee used to wear, for Taekwondo.

Thing is though, if Bruce Lee was still with us, he would've been 76 next Sunday, the 27th, obviously he would've retired from the film Business a long time ago having made enough loot to do so.

New Threads

Top Bottom