• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The chair to help children with autism...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

The chair to help children with autism: Invention mimics a hug and helps soothe agitated youngsters with the condition
  • The 'Sensory Lounger' and is made from an armchair with airbags inside
  • Has a sophisticated pump and pressure sensor which keeps it
  • This provides a 'deep touch pressure' to the body, mimicking a hug
  • Studies show such pressure can help calm children with autism

A chair designed to mimic the sensation of a hug has been created for children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).

The chair, called the ‘Sensory Lounger’ is made from a long armchair with two airbags which are constantly pumped up, in order to envelop the child inside them.

This should provide children with the sensation of being squeezed tightly or being given a hug, it’s creators said.

2921F06000000578-0-image-a-24_1432805896521.jpg

A chair designed to mimic the sensation of a hug has been created for children with autism. It was created by Kansas City Businessman Stuart Jackson, whose son Joshua (pictured) has autism spectrum disorder

The chair was invented by Stuart Jackson, a local businessman from Kansas City, whose son Joshua has ASD, the Kansas City Star reports.

The company’s website explains: ‘More than 90 per cent of people with autism also have sensory processing disorder.'

This means sensory signals, such as noise or sight, are not organised into appropriate responses, and can become overwhelming and cause stress.

The website continues: ‘Sensory overload can initiate high levels of anxiety or arousal, leading to self-stimulatory behaviour, self-injurious behaviour, tantrums and meltdowns.’

Studies show that ‘deep touch pressure’ can calm down children coping with sensory processing disorder, it added.

It is known that pressure causes the release of serotonin and dopamine in the brain – ‘happy’ chemical messengers that produce a feelings of calm.

It also lowers the heart rate and blood pressure, which are indicators of stress and anxiety.

This is why being hugged feels so soothing.

Mr Jackson noticed that occupational therapists had some tools to provide deep touch pressure, but few of them gave high enough levels of pressure to benefit the children.

2923AAB200000578-3100576-image-m-37_1432806663814.jpg

Studies show that ‘deep touch pressure’ can calm down children with autism. They often also have sensory processing disorder - in which they cannot organise sensory signals into actions, causing anxiety

So he develop the Sensory Lounger, which has a sophisticated pump and pressure-sensor system that provides constant compression to all areas of the body.

The website says the pump is so quiet it is ‘barely audible’, a factor which is important for children with ASD, who may have sensitive ears.

The idea came from another machine created by Professor Temple Grandin, of Colorado State University, called the 'squeeze machine'.

She noticed cattle appeared calmer when pressure was applied to their bodies.

Mr Jackson set about making a cheaper version of the 'squeeze machine', which he tested the chair on his own son, and on children at a local primary school.

After finding that it did help children to feel calm, he is now working with students to create new versions, and is in talks with a university over a research trial he hopes will prove its effects.

Ideally, he would like to get the chair to market by the end of the year, he told Kansas City Star journalists.

SOURCE: The chair to help children with autism: Invention mimics a hug and helps soothe agitated youngster with the condition | Daily Mail Online

I think if I used this I would make it very tight, hard to breathe even. A good 20 minutes might be enough. Or maybe just a few minutes when things are tough.

Yes! I would wish this to provide a good, strong, firm squish for at least 15 minutes or more, until I felt calmer, more settled, and ready to tackle challenges. This would be super after trying to get a haircut, :eek: after being in a social situation in a crowded, noisy café, or when dealing with strong emotions.

I am really hoping this invention would be affordable.

I cold not afford this device but I think I would use it. I wonder if something like Temple Grandin's device would feel better. I am wondering how air-filled bags would feel. Having something like this at home could be great. Being able to get inside and really turn up the pressure. I could close all the curtains, make it as dark and quiet as I could and get inside the device. I hope I would not fall asleep in it.

Nah ah, not for me! I don't like furniture that tries to eat me! :confused:

I don't like furniture anyway. That half-cocked position your legs get put in cuts off my circulation. Legs straight or folded under, I don't like sitting any other way.

Ashe, I am not sure if you mean that you are confused. I will say that pressure against my body makes me feel better but only pressure in certain ways. I would like to have an option. Coming home it could be helpful to be inside something to help calm down. I don't know.

I'm with Ashe.. that looks super uncomfortable to me.. when I need a squeeze, I lay down on the bed and make my mastiff lay on me.. best squeeze machine ever :)

Ashe, I am not sure if you mean that you are confused. I will say that pressure against my body makes me feel better but only pressure in certain ways. I would like to have an option. Coming home it could be helpful to be inside something to help calm down. I don't know.
Not confused in the least. A big chair squeezing me would feel more like I was its lunch. I've sat on a few chairs that had some mysterious secret hole in the back that was next to impossible to get out of. I'd rather just stick to my heavy blankets when I need deep pressure. And I just don't do well with furniture anyway because of the awkward position I have to get int to use them, so I leave the hungry chair to other people to use.

Hungry chair is funny. Heavy blankets can be nice. One reason I like the colder weather. It's my hope that one day I will be able to have a weighted blanket. I have always enjoyed the lead aprons used at the dentist's office or MD during x-rays. Even as a child I thought how great it would be to have one of those at home.

Hey Grommet, there are also weighted vests, and weighted lap pads too!

Gotta get our squishes. :D

I wonder if I could make one of those.
Not a lead apron.
But a very heavy 'blanket.'
I have at least 50 quilt tops in progress.
So often people have....adequately heated houses, and
don't want a heavy 'blanket.'

I wonder how I could make one heavy without being too hot.
At my house, blankets being too warm is not an issue.

Two crochet blankets folded in half is my weighted blanket. Theoretically, I would say you could crochet a blanket using two strings at once instead of just with one string like regular works, and then do a more loose stitch like a double or treble crochet stitch for holes that would allow more air to pass through.

Weird thing with mine is that my body temperature seems to fall and I don't get too hot under it unless it's just a really muggy night. Even then, hanging a leg out and keeping up under the rest still does just as well.

I wonder if I could make one of those.
Not a lead apron.
But a very heavy 'blanket.'
I have at least 50 quilt tops in progress.
So often people have....adequately heated houses, and
don't want a heavy 'blanket.'

I wonder how I could make one heavy without being too hot.
At my house, blankets being too warm is not an issue.
I've used warm and natural cotton batting I quilts because I like how heavy it is.. And because it's cotton it doesn't feel as hot as poly batting.

New Threads

Top Bottom