• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

the border between dream and reality

The only sort of recurring theme I've ever had is that of a library. I use the term "library" loosely. It's more of an infinite labyrinth, but one where most walls have shelves built in, covered in books about who knows what. Like most of my dreams the structure of the place is very warped. There is no entrance or exit, as it has no boundaries. This type of dream comes around every now and then.

The odd bit is, as twisted as these places are, they make perfect sense while in them.

So.... yeah. Try making sense of any of that.

I wish I was making this all up.
Why?
Sounds interesting and I too have been to the endless library in a dream. I saw Copernicus there.

Sounds crazy?
There's an explanation for everything.
I just accept that and find the far out fascinating.
It's an endless Universe. Or is it?
Might be like the Matrix and there is no spoon.
That's why I like the fringe sciences and metaphysical sciences. A lot of people thinking outside the box and new exciting answers are happening everyday.
Enjoy!

Do you have dreams when you are sleeping?

I often dream that I am a completely different person, of a different gender and age with a completely different story and character. it frightens me, because such a phenomenon is not described anywhere. maybe I'm crazy? or do other aspies have a similar situation.

In general, I want to know how do you feel about dreams.

I also have similar dreams of being a different gender. sometimes I even dream that I am a member of an alien species living in an alien society somewhere else in the galaxy. Or on some alternate earth. I've had a few where there were huge alien spacecraft in the sky attacking. I'm usually trying to protect others fleeing the attack.
A lot of my dreams are sci-fi in nature. Some of them have sci-fi characters (usually Star Trek characters). Seems like most of my dreams take place outside.

In my case, I think these dreams are about me not wanting to be autie, escaping the madness of humanity.

I've sometimes wondered if these dreams made me seem crazy too. Didn't know anyone else had dreams like this.

Last edited:
Most of my dreams involves me being in an unfamiliar place and trying to get back to a familiar place, but there is always some obstacle preventing it. Since a lot of my dreams are outside, the obstacles are usually construction work blocking my way or natural barriers. My indoor obstacle are usually people. I used to have flying dreams but now they're crawling dreams. I usually have very vivid dreams in color that seem completely real. I wake up feeling confused for a few moments.

I had a dream once where I was a confederate soldier in the civil war. I was a completely different person (past life?) But in real life I was born in Connecticut u.s.a. I was lying in a field wounded and a group of soldiers walked up to me and one of them (in a blue uniform) shot me in the head, and I woke up.

Does anyone have the same dream that is almost the same on multiple occasions, or continue where the previous one left off?

I even dream that I am a member of an alien species living in an alien society somewhere else in the galaxy. Or on some alternate earth.
I never dreamed that I was an alien (or I just don't remember this), but alternative versions of the earth quite often. so or we're both crazy or not crazy at all. maybe you're a fan of science fiction (Star Trek) so your brain prefers to generate something like that instead of "normal human" characters and places?
Most of my dreams involves me being in an unfamiliar place and trying to get back to a familiar place, but there is always some obstacle preventing it.
familiar places in which you want to get out of unfamiliar - these are usually places that you know in life or according to the legend of the dream?
I had a dream once where I was a confederate soldier in the civil war.
a few days ago I dreamed that I was a female soldier and I was running from the building into which I had put a bomb, changing clothes, and swam away in a boat. but it was not like the past. although one day I dreamed something like a really distant past. I was runnig away from warriors with bows and arrows on horses, the warriors were dressed in red winter clothes with fur (I surfed the Internet and it looks like the clothes of the Mongols) . but there was a green forest and mountains around. so this cannot be a past life, it's just an imagination. so I (my character) ran to a huge stone bridge across the mountains. the bridge below me began to ruin and I turned into a real me and realized that all this is a dream. I fell into the water and woke up.
Does anyone have the same dream that is almost the same on multiple occasions, or continue where the previous one left off?
I just have a few different dreams per night, which can smoothly pass into each other.

My dreams have always been vivid, in colour, and a lot of times lucid, (realizing it is a dream while in the dream).

Strange, I love Sci-Fi, but, never dream about it.
Mine are just ordinary life usually. Although, when I know I am in a dream, I also know nothing can hurt me there as I'm not there in the physical body.

No certain recurring dreams.
I have continuing dreams some times. Dreaming, wake up, go back and pick up where the dream left off.
I do believe in reincarnation and the subconscious mind's ability to tap into areas you can't while awake.

I do believe in reincarnation and the subconscious mind's ability to tap into areas you can't while awake.
i believe too. but suddenly there really is no soul and after death only an infinite agony with hallucinations awaits us, while the brain dies? and what do people call heaven and hell and other worlds - is it just a lack of oxygen that seems eternal? and "past lives" in dreams it's just our defensive reaction, coming from the subconscious...

How do i multi quote? can't seem to get it to work.
i'm trying to quote Convallaria's reply to my last post.
here are my replies to your replies:

I've known so few people in my life that my mind has to populate my dreams with fictional characters/places. in alot of my dreams i'm younger than i am now, family members look younger too.

these are places that could exist in reality. my memory issues prevent me from recalling most of the details of my past, so they could be places i've been but can't recall. most of the people seem unfamiliar but could be people i've met before.
maybe these dreams are my mind's way of trying to recover these memories?

i've had a dream where i was running from someone (perhaps police). it seemed to be in the 1920's -30's. the cars/clothing seemed from that time period. i decided to hide in a concrete grain silo, but for some reason the silo roof decided to collapse on me. i woke up just as the concrete blocks hit me. most of the dreams of me in the past end with me being killed.

sometimes i'll have the same dream over a period of weeks or months. the dreams seem familiar, as though i had them before.

@AdultAspie69
Let's see.....How to multi-quote.
First click on "Quote."

Then, in the reply box that you are using, there will appear "INSERT QUOTES"
over at the left. Click that.
I am going through these steps, as I write this.
Note: You can edit/shorten what is quoted, if you only want part.
That what I did, just now, when I quoted your post.

Is this what you were asking about?
Or did I miss the idea?

@AdultAspie69
Let's see.....How to multi-quote.
First click on "Quote."

Then, in the reply box that you are using, there will appear "INSERT QUOTES"
over at the left. Click that.
I am going through these steps, as I write this.
Note: You can edit/shorten what is quoted, if you only want part.
That what I did, just now, when I quoted your post.

Is this what you were asking about?
Or did I miss the idea?

It doesnt show the boxes "membername" said:
between quotes.

"
between quotes.
between quotes."

I tried quoting your message, to see what you're talking about.
I don't understand what it is you want to do. o_O

If you can tolerate my plodding attempt to work this
out with you, tell me more. :)

:rolleyes:
"

between quotes."

I tried quoting your message, to see what you're talking about.
I don't understand what it is you want to do. o_O

If you can tolerate my plodding attempt to work this
out with you, tell me more. :)
I'm trying to put the answer to people's questions under each question when they ask me multiple questions.
Does that make sense? :rolleyes:

So....you want to make repeated quotations?

Just for the moment, let's suppose that is what you are asking.
I will try to do that.

If that isn't what you meant, we're no farther behind
than before.

here are my replies to your replies:

I've known so few people in my life that my mind has to populate my dreams with fictional characters/places. in alot of my dreams i'm younger than i am now, family members look younger too.

these are places that could exist in reality. my memory issues prevent me from recalling most of the details of my past, so they could be places i've been but can't recall. most of the people seem unfamiliar but could be people i've met before.
maybe these dreams are my mind's way of trying to recover these memories?

i've had a dream where i was running from someone (perhaps police). it seemed to be in the 1920's -30's. the cars/clothing seemed from that time period. i decided to hide in a concrete grain silo, but for some reason the silo roof decided to collapse on me. i woke up just as the concrete blocks hit me. most of the dreams of me in the past end with me being killed.

sometimes i'll have the same dream over a period of weeks or months. the dreams seem familiar, as though i had them before.

:rolleyes:
I'm trying to put the answer to people's questions under each question when they ask me multiple questions.
Does that make sense? :rolleyes:

Oh that was interesting.
I clicked the "quote" for these two different items,
and expected to see 2 INSERT QUOTES.
There was only one.

Great.
For me.
I have discovered an aspect of using the Quote function
I had not been aware of previously.

But.....does that have anything to do with what you want to accomplish?

For instance, most of my dreams involve me running from pursuers until I'm cornered at which point they kill me or I kill them, then I wake up.

Snap. Maybe this is an "aspie trying to fit in to the world" hang up, but this is by far my most common dream. I'm pretty sure I've taken responsibility for everything in my life, but I still have these dreams. Once, I dreamt that I smashed a bottle and turned to face whatever was chasing me and there was nothing there.

"Being chased by criminals (read NTs) is a warning you need to protect yourself from others who may try to use you sometime in the future."

are the dreams of autistic people differ from NT`s dreams? how often do you not see the boundary between dream and reality?

Since you are in your teens and just starting on life, my 41 year old mum party line would be to tell you to stop worrying about your dreams and concentrate on your job and/or studies. That your dreams are not real and you have enough to worry about in the real world, without worrying about your dreams.

So take the real world advice in first. Then, if you're aspie and have an open mind you can probably read these opinions and not let them mess with your head... So really I have lots of theories on dreams. When I dream, it can occasionally be incredibly vivid. I do dream in colour and contrary to what research suggests, I can both read and see numbers in my dreams. I have clearly seen letters and read signs, despite the internet telling me that this is impossible.

I have had sleep paralysis etc, but more interestingly, several times in my life, about 5, I've woken up IN my dream. Actually woken up, not in real life but in the dream, realised that I am dreaming. The first time it happened, I was back at my childhood home. My mother was a paranoid agoraphobic schizophrenic, so in reality my 'childhood home' is a run down, smoke filled dump. Worn carpet and cat hair. Last time I visited my mother I looked at all the clumps of cat hair on the floor and asked if she got another cat. She said no. The cat died about 3 years ago.

But I didn't know this as a child and my home was a place of stability and comfort, so I always go back there in my dreams. But in the wake-up dream I noticed that the back gate was missing and it didn't make sense. So I deduced that "oh, this must be a dream, I wonder what I can do". And I tried to fly, and make things appear. I barely managed some basic control, but it was amazing. I've had the same dream a few more times, last time I tried to touch something and it felt so real, it even had texture.

So I think that somehow dreaming is a bridge, a way that provides a little bit more freedom and connects us to our subconscious. If you feel strongly about another personality, then there is probably a part of you living that life in some other place, in some other time. Sure it will be written off as 'imagination' or 'schizophrenia' or whatever explanation people use to make themselves comfortable. But it's there and I believe it is real. But then, back to mum mode. Even if it is real, it's irrelevant. There is a life here, in front of us and that's the life we need to concern ourselves with, not your next life, past life or all the dimensions left and right. Use your dreams as insight and apply them to your morning.

So....you want to make repeated quotations?

Just for the moment, let's suppose that is what you are asking.
I will try to do that.

If that isn't what you meant, we're no farther behind
than before.

Oh that was interesting.
I clicked the "quote" for these two different items,
and expected to see 2 INSERT QUOTES.
There was only one.

Great.
For me.
I have discovered an aspect of using the Quote function
I had not been aware of previously.

But.....does that have anything to do with what you want to accomplish?
I hit quote then reply. I'm trying to insert my answers into the other person's post, but it looks like the peron is answering there own questions. Can i multi quote within the other person's post? When i click "insert quotes" it only shows the very beginning of the person's post, it doesn't let me move around in the post.

I hit quote then reply. I'm trying to insert my answers into the other person's post, but it looks like the peron is answering there own questions. Can i multi quote within the other person's post? When i click "insert quotes" it only shows the very beginning of the person's post, it doesn't let me move around in the post.

Ah. That.

I have done that before.
Let me see what it necessary to avoid that circumstance.

Hmm. Hitting Quote then Reply.
Don't do that.

That combines two functions and isn't what you want.

Have you tried just clicking "Quote", for each item you want to respond to?
You can click the "Quote" on several people's posts.
That should give you the effect of......quoting more than one person.

Reply and Quote don't operate together.
You don't need "Reply" when you are "Quote"ing.

Note: I am NOT saying that at the end of your post, you won't
need to click "Post Reply." Just try not clicking both
'Quote' and 'Reply' when you are writing your responses.

I'm not sure if i can explain what i'm trying to do.
I'm trying to quote each statement seperately, in a single person's post. Is that something i can do? But it doesnt look like the answers are coming from me, it looks like the person is answering there own questions.

I'm not sure if i can explain what i'm trying to do.
I'm trying to quote each statement seperately, in a single person's post. Is that something i can do? But it doesnt look like the answers are coming from me, it looks like the person is answering there own questions.

Yes.
That is the issue I believed I addressed in my
previous post.

Here.
I will try, again, to demonstrate quoting more than one person in a message.

OK. I clicked "Quote" for two posts by different people.
I never dreamed that I was an alien (or I just don't remember this), but alternative versions of the earth quite often. so or we're both crazy or not crazy at all. maybe you're a fan of science fiction (Star Trek) so your brain prefers to generate something like that instead of "normal human" characters and places?

familiar places in which you want to get out of unfamiliar - these are usually places that you know in life or according to the legend of the dream?

a few days ago I dreamed that I was a female soldier and I was running from the building into which I had put a bomb, changing clothes, and swam away in a boat. but it was not like the past. although one day I dreamed something like a really distant past. I was runnig away from warriors with bows and arrows on horses, the warriors were dressed in red winter clothes with fur (I surfed the Internet and it looks like the clothes of the Mongols) . but there was a green forest and mountains around. so this cannot be a past life, it's just an imagination. so I (my character) ran to a huge stone bridge across the mountains. the bridge below me began to ruin and I turned into a real me and realized that all this is a dream. I fell into the water and woke up.

I just have a few different dreams per night, which can smoothly pass into each other.

sneaking in some ipsum lorem/non-meaningful text here.

My dreams have always been vivid, in colour, and a lot of times lucid, (realizing it is a dream while in the dream).

Strange, I love Sci-Fi, but, never dream about it.
Mine are just ordinary life usually. Although, when I know I am in a dream, I also know nothing can hurt me there as I'm not there in the physical body.

No certain recurring dreams.
I have continuing dreams some times. Dreaming, wake up, go back and pick up where the dream left off.

sticking some more non-meaningful place holder text here.

@AdultAspie69
Is that the effect you're trying for? (See Post # 39)
Quoting more than one person, having your content in between
the quoted individuals, but not having your content appear to be
part of the quote?

To keep your content/response/remarks from appearing to be
part of the Quoted person's content, place your remarks
after theirs but outside the bracketed word Quote. (to the right of)

New Threads

Top Bottom