• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Taste Changes

LostInSilentHill

Terrible Gaurdian Angel
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone experienced taste changes like I do. Let me explain,

Often, I find food tastes different. Like, I love marble cheese, but sometimes when I eat it, it tastes sour or buttery. I cannot eat it then. Blueberries will sometimes taste dusty or mouldy, peaches taste like butter, etc.

No one else can taste this, and when they try the food, it tastes fine to them. I need food to be a certain way to eat it so when it tastes off like that, I can't eat it. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

That happens sometimes if I still have a taste in my mouth from something else. Like if I drink espresso, then eat blueberries, it will cause the blueberry to taste bad. Same happens after taking medication or during withdrawals. One time everything tasted like what I imagined rotten flesh would taste like while I was discontinuing klonopin.

I know the feeling. Somehow the food never tastes like something awesome all of a sudden. Always like it's expired. I drive my boyfriend nuts because I throw out food that's been left in the fridge or freezer uncovered. It starts to taste like fridge and nothing but fridge. Which is hard to explain to someone who literally doesn't taste the difference.

Also, I once drank vodka&red bull after brushing my teeth and that ended up tasting like a combination of liver and infected gums. I can recommend it to everyone :D

I know the feeling. Somehow the food never tastes like something awesome all of a sudden. Always like it's expired. I drive my boyfriend nuts because I throw out food that's been left in the fridge or freezer uncovered. It starts to taste like fridge and nothing but fridge. Which is hard to explain to someone who literally doesn't taste the difference.
Yeah, that's also the same with me. I can't understand how people can eat uncovered fridge/freezer food. It's so gross. I also get mad when cereal is left open. It gets so stale...

Research Candida, yeast infection - that would be the most common cause of taste changing over time. After that an abscessed tooth.

Good luck, K

Yeah, that's also the same with me. I can't understand how people can eat uncovered fridge/freezer food. It's so gross. I also get mad when cereal is left open. It gets so stale...
Haha, same. I spend every morning passive agressively wrapping and covering everything my boyfriend left opened. I curse at food objects a lot more since cohabiting, haha.

Freezer burned food is disgusting. I always make sure everything in good and wrapped, sometimes I will even put wrapped food in a Tupper ware container for extra protection

Research Candida, yeast infection - that would be the most common cause of taste changing over time. After that an abscessed tooth.

Good luck, K
Hmm, I don't think it is either of those. I've had this issue for years (10+) and I visit the dentist yearly. I also get a physical every year and nothing like that has ever come up.

Go look in the mirror and stick your tongue out, if the surface is more white than pink then it is yeast.

Hmm, I don't think it is either of those. I've had this issue for years (10+) and I visit the dentist yearly. I also get a physical every year and nothing like that has ever come up.
It can be an infection in the brain if you begin to perceive pleasant odours the infection is dying if not its still active .
my sense of taste changed after i had a staph infection but mine had entered my brain .
brain tumour ,damage to the area of the brain the perceives odour like a traumatic injury ,starvation (gi infection,cholera,typhoid,

Go look in the mirror and stick your tongue out, if the surface is more white than pink then it is yeast.
My tongue was very pale when I was going through my benzo withdrawal. I wasn't able to eat or sleep at all which lowered my immune system possible giving me a yeast overgrowth in my mouth which could explain the rotten taste.

See, the thing is that food doesn't always taste wrong. Sometimes the first bite is fine and it changes after, and sometimes the food tastes normal.

I'm totally with you on this! Dude will eat anything uncovered and cold out of the fridge refuses to close up chips or cereals so they get nasty and he says it's perfectly fine and tastes just like it should, I'm so wtf. I refuse to share many items with him anymore because I can't take it anymore. >: #anger Touch my cereal and I may stab you.

Yes, my Sig. other sometimes leaves the chips bag open and when they are stale, they are awful! I also had to ask him not to stick a spoon in the jam jar, then lick it and do it again. That causes stuff to grow in there. Gross!

Yes, my Sig. other sometimes leaves the chips bag open and when they are stale, they are awful! I also had to ask him not to stick a spoon in the jam jar, then lick it and do it again. That causes stuff to grow in there. Gross!

If I see him do this I tell him he had damn well better be finishing off that jar! Peanut butter as well! >: The dumbest stuff sometimes I swear. Then he gets mad at me for being over dramatic and controlling. Better than being gross though! >:

It starts to taste like fridge and nothing but fridge. Which is hard to explain to someone who literally doesn't taste the difference.
Neither does my SO. He can eat something in a cafeteria that is so old that it literally looks like jerky and not notice the difference. Uncovered fridge food smells like a whole lot of things, but not the original thing.

No one else can taste this, and when they try the food, it tastes fine to them. I need food to be a certain way to eat it so when it tastes off like that, I can't eat it. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

Can taste minute amounts of anything in food, the spices, mold anything out of the ordinary will cause me not to be able to eat it. Women tend to have more taste buds than men, and some women (35%) and men (15%) are what are called super tasters. I am, and it definitely has stopped me from eating certain foods, like an apple that is a little too soft (I can taste even the slightest bit of over-ripeness, especially bananas, raspberries, blackberries) and there's my SO eating them and not noticing.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom