• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some people actually like food?

I have preferences when I am hungry, but I honestly do not think about food the rest of the time. I have only started to cook simple meals because canned/ready-to-eat favorites have become too expensive.

I like food. And cooking.

however, I have all sorts of issues with food, which makes my relationship with food difficult

I love food. So much. I think about it all day, every day. Love cooking it, love eating it. The only thing about it I don’t like too much is when greasy frying smell lingers in the house.

I hate the smell of fried foods, fish and boiling peanuts in the house. I make my husband boil his beloved peanuts outside in the big crawfish boil pot over a propane burner because it stinks like he is boiling dirt. Which is exactly what he is doing. ;)

Cooking cabbage and other brassica greens can stink a lot, too. But the worst, to me, is the smell of rendering ox tails. I'm not even going to describe what that smells like.

Food is very complicated. I like the taste most of the time. Sometimes I just don't feel like eating. I don't mean that I'm not hungry. I just mean that I'm like "no. I don't want to."

Also a bit anxiety inducing. It's so hard to deal with calories and nutrition. I long for the days when we have daily nutrition pills and can just swallow that like a pill and be done for the day. It's not like it would be that off from what I currently do. I have to take vitamin D supplements because it's not in almost any food I can eat.

In school, there is no food served, I just bring Lays and a box of juice. I am not even hungry and I only get a bit of pleasure when I am hungry with no specific schedule.

I assume you mean Lays potato chips? Chips are fat and salt, and a juice box is mostly sugar, so no wonder you don't enjoy it.

Food is very complicated. I like the taste most of the time. Sometimes I just don't feel like eating. I don't mean that I'm not hungry. I just mean that I'm like "no. I don't want to."

Also a bit anxiety inducing. It's so hard to deal with calories and nutrition. I long for the days when we have daily nutrition pills and can just swallow that like a pill and be done for the day. It's not like it would be that off from what I currently do. I have to take vitamin D supplements because it's not in almost any food I can eat.
I keep Nutri Drinks for the worst days. It helps.

I have IBS-type issues, but I don't like this diagnosis at all. I wasn't actually diagnosed with anything. I had all the tests done, nothing comes up. I have a lot of stomach pains, nausea, and bowel issues. If I avoid a lot of foods, it's fine, so no need for medication, and I dislike taking medications and their side effects and being dependent. It's also written everywhere that IBS is psychosomatic and I have these issues when I'm not nervous too? It's bollocks that everything is psychosomatic, I hate it when people blame all kinds of things on "you just need to change your attitude and work on yourself". Geez, physical problems exist. Don't they get that? They're not all as huge and obvious as a cancer. But anyway, it blew my mind that if you're on the spectrum, it can cause some things in your body to deregulate such as digestion and temperature and it would explain my lifelong problems with the bowel, nausea etc. In order to not have issues and eat enough, I eat gluten-free, lactose-free and low-FODMAP. I also eat low-carb and have to deal with nausea, most often in the mornings, so I need to eat nausea-friendly foods (delicate in taste and texture). And I'm allergic to seafood and some cheeses and nuts provoke migraines in me. Long list, isn't it? It makes it difficult to get in enough calories and I'm a mesomorphic guy, so I need quite a lot.

At the same time, I like good food and like to cook when I have some free time. I'm a fan of cooking videos on youtube. I watch them all the time.

Yes. But it's not just some. I believe most people do. People who do not are likely in the minority.

I keep Nutri Drinks for the worst days. It helps.

I have IBS-type issues, but I don't like this diagnosis at all. I wasn't actually diagnosed with anything. I had all the tests done, nothing comes up. I have a lot of stomach pains, nausea, and bowel issues. If I avoid a lot of foods, it's fine, so no need for medication, and I dislike taking medications and their side effects and being dependent. It's also written everywhere that IBS is psychosomatic and I have these issues when I'm not nervous too? It's bollocks that everything is psychosomatic, I hate it when people blame all kinds of things on "you just need to change your attitude and work on yourself". Geez, physical problems exist. Don't they get that? They're not all as huge and obvious as a cancer. But anyway, it blew my mind that if you're on the spectrum, it can cause some things in your body to deregulate such as digestion and temperature and it would explain my lifelong problems with the bowel, nausea etc. In order to not have issues and eat enough, I eat gluten-free, lactose-free and low-FODMAP. I also eat low-carb and have to deal with nausea, most often in the mornings, so I need to eat nausea-friendly foods (delicate in taste and texture). And I'm allergic to seafood and some cheeses and nuts provoke migraines in me. Long list, isn't it? It makes it difficult to get in enough calories and I'm a mesomorphic guy, so I need quite a lot.

At the same time, I like good food and like to cook when I have some free time. I'm a fan of cooking videos on youtube. I watch them all the time.

I do have some actually! they are very helpful. I have one that's about 300cal with a ton of nutrients. It takes about 1 minute to drink. Unfortunately it's a replacement and not something you can just live off of but it is helpful to just down that and continue my day sometimes.

This is why I'm learning to cook; not because I like food, but because cooking is a life skill that is important to one's survival; anybody can make it LOOK and TASTE good, but you have to KNOW how to make both things possible. It doesn't have to be limited to one specific kind of food; as long as you know what you're doing and don't make yourself sick, you're not even the only person enjoying what YOU made because chances are someone else is going to want to taste it too! It's one thing to surprise yourself, imagine how many OTHER people will want to see what you're capable of when they find out how good it is!

Food is what keeps us alive, and it should feel good doing so. Sure, anyone can become addicted to it, but everyone can beat those addictions. I learned that the hard way.

Some people like food? They are very easy to bribe with just food. They force me to be happy from food like them, and in school they eat it crazily like animals. Why? They are okay with spending their whole income on it and then take photos of it, that are disgusting to look at. Food for me is a bad necessary thing like going to the bathroom.
I understand your frustration; I don't understand common trends of photo-blasting the Internet with pictures of food. I enjoy a real good and filling meal, but that's the purpose of food; to fill me, and to taste good. Not to spam my facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

New Threads

Top Bottom