• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sleep pattern

Joshua717

Hey guys it's 12:24 am here and I have trouble going to sleep , my mind won't let me fall to sleep and it really sucks . Is anyone having the same issue ?

Sent from my iPhone using AspiesCentral.com

I'm totally like that! Once my brain gets going on something, forget about it. That was one of the reasons I got into the whole cannabis thing (I'm done with that, though).

My typical night's sleep (unless I've passed out) maxes out at six hours, and there's usually a break halfway through. Check out this article! I like to remind myself that some people just can't sleep that long.

Now for me, three hours isn't enough, and I'll feel like crap the next day. At its worst, I'll only fall asleep one to two hours before I need to get up. Some nights it just won't happen, so I have to make sure I don't push myself too hard the next day (if I have that luxury!). And I compensate with extra caffeine.

Hey guys it's 12:24 am here and I have trouble going to sleep , my mind won't let me fall to sleep and it really sucks . Is anyone having the same issue ?

Sent from my iPhone using AspiesCentral.com
I Don't fall asleep, I pass out, Suddenly. I do however, wake up really early. I usually get 5 hours of sleep a night. I will wake up with my mind racing in some crazy thought. It was not easy getting used to being the only one awake at 4 or 5 in the morning, but I am used to it now.

Welcome :)

When I struggle to fall asleep, it's usually due to overthinking. Sometimes I try to clear my mind, though I'm sure others agree that plan can often fail once a thought pops in to our head.

Because of this, I've learned how to perform basic meditation. It takes some practise, and at first it will feel weird, but it can works wonders, when done right. It's basically a self-induced hypnosis. The best way to clear your mind, is to pick a phrase, and repeat it, out loud, over and over again (for example: "all is well"). By concentrating on this, and this alone, it forces you to focus only on a simple word, as opposed to many complex thoughts. You may stray at first, but practise makes perfect.

I can't say i have trouble to sleep, since all my util time it's in the night and i use it to study, read about my interest, and so on.
But i usually go to sleep at 3:00 am, before that time my mind keeps thinking about things or ruminating about worries and troubles (depends on the situation) until i fall asleep.

I use Phenergan you can by it at the chemist. It is used to prevents motion sickness, and treats nausea. It is also used as a sedative or sleep aid.
I take it at 5-6pm and by 10-11pm I'm sleeping and it's a rested sleep.

Phenergan is a antihistamine and causes drowsiness. It comes in liquid form for kids or tablets for adults.

Sometimes when I can't sleep I lie in bed listening to music. I usually end up drifting in and out of sleep.

But what usually works for me (when I remember) is to systematically work through my body, consciously and deliberately relaxing my muscles. Starting at my feet, I seldom get past my legs.

In two independent sleep studies at different facilities,my test results show that I consistently fall into REM sleep in under one minute.
My sleep comes on really fast,more like passing out and I was always joked about at jobs for starting to snore before my head hit a table during a 10 minute break...I called it a gift...;)

Hello,

Yes I also have issues with sleep. For me it is partly because my brain won't shut off and partly due to a general insecurity or feeling unsafe. There was another thread lurking in the forum about getting around those sleeping issues.
I've learned how to perform basic meditation.
Ha, I was just thinking about that too and find it to be most helpful since meds do not always work the as intended and might work differently in AS due to differences in metabolism. I talked to someone else about my insomnia,which has been getting worse lately for some reason. She recommended that when your brain feels like thinking and you are in bed that you should get up and go back to a desk and chair to sit down and finish the thought processes. You should try to go to bed at a regular hour for this to work, even if your brain keeps working and you are trying to sleep. You get up because your brain keeps working. It is a bit unpleasant but that is partly the point. You should not like getting up from a comfy bed to finish thinking, so your brain will associate bed with sleep. It will take a few months and I just started trying that since my bouts of insomnia are a bit worse.
But what usually works for me (when I remember) is to systematically work through my body, consciously and deliberately relaxing my muscles. Starting at my feet, I seldom get past my legs.
I heard that this also helps some people.

Here is a site that helps you figure out
when to go to sleep or wake up.
Based on REM cycles.
http://sleepyti.me/

I didn't expect much from this little item,
and was surprised to see that the times
listed are the various times in the night
when I can fall asleep easiest.

New Threads

Top Bottom