• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

shutdowns vs meltdowns?

awh that's unfortunate :disappointed: don't worry though, it doesn't sound immature. at least not in the context of a meltdown that you can't help. it is a pity though that a lot of the things aspies/autistics can't help doing are perceived as immature.
Yea really. It's like you're an adult and people expect you to act like an adult but sometimes you can't and you get judged for it. I'm not choosing to embarrass myself like this. It takes all I can not to meltdown in public, I force myself to shut down instead

Don't be embarrassed when that happens, just tell anyone that saw it you are a diva in training so, you haven't perfected the art of falling apart to get your way yet. :p

That's what I do if I loose it in public, it gets people laughing so, it isn't so bad.

Don't be embarrassed when that happens, just tell anyone that saw it you are a diva in training so, you haven't perfected the art of falling apart to get your way yet. :p

That's what I do if I loose it in public, it gets people laughing so, it isn't so bad.
I'll keep that in mind lol, thank you

I do both. I shut down when I get too overwhelmed/stressed. I usually melt down when I get really mad like if plans have been changed at the last minute, when something comes up that I need to do at the last minute or (as immature as it sounds) when something doesn't go my way. Then a shut down usually follows a meltdown. I'm 30 years old and its so embarrassing when this happens, I hate it :(
I don't like sudden changes and surprises either... @amarie ,I have only had 3 or so meltdowns in life when Bad people really pressed me hard...they are kind of scary blackout things, I don't like them. I mostly have different levels of shutdowns because of too much new stuff thrown at me at one time.
I am trying to figure out how to handle a lovely little aspie I'm seeing as she seems more prone to meltdowns than me....which is why I looked at this thread Sigh!:(

Last edited:
This thread was definitely needed. I just have shutdowns, feeling pretty sympathetic for those who have meltdowns which sound painful since many of you are basically the life of this thread :D I'm finding things frustrating because nowadays my shutdowns blur into constant anxiety which is itself confusing as I seem to have quite a high degree of emotional blindness. The alliteration in anxiety, alexithymia and aspergers is something I find amusing, someone must have decided they were the magic combo. But anyway, my shutdowns are same as others here, feeling like I can't move or speak and stimming more after.

I get both, not really sure which I get more of. I should probably keep count at some point. Usually caused by stress or having too much going on.

Whenever something emotionally charged comes up, I tend to go into immediate shutdown. This makes some discussions very difficult between me and my wife.

New Threads

Top Bottom