• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

senior citizen Autistic meltdowns

I went years, decades, without a meltdown. the past 7 or 8 years they have become more and more common. They are not violent or angry, but crying and saying 'why' alot. I also have PTSD and have had more trauma over the past few years. SO, I am wondering if part of getting old is more meltdowns. or if it is more the PTSD, or just discovering "secrets" that are too hard to bear. I asked Bob to tape an episode, and I have been thinking about putting it on my channel to get input from others, but haven't as I am embarrassed that I would come across as "poor me! why won't people tell me why they did these things to be." Which, is actually what I am feeling during these meltdowns and nobody likes people with that type of attitude. If anyone has any ideas, please advise. I do hope that you all check out my you tube channel, but I have not put the meltdown video up. If I get up the nerve do you think that I should?

put your video up but maybe turn the comments off and only get comments on groups like ours,i say that as i when i was still non verbal i made videos to help people understand makaton and i got badly bullied on the comments section,i know who did it though-a bully who resented the 'attention' and support i got,and i felt like strangling him/her if im honest as it made my life hell and i gave up making support videos.

my uncle is like you in diagnosis,he is an older gentleman,has aspergers very classically and his meltdowns are verbal, he ends up hurting people,for example he had a go at his brother about how noisy his children were [2 of them are autistic,the other two are not] and they are stil not talking now,a number of years later.
dont feel bad about your meltdowns they are your bodys/minds way of expressing something you cant do the normal route,it runs out of tolerance and forces its way out of you,its not something you can control.
sorry i cant help you from an older point of view,im 32 but i hope you find some answers that help.

I am having a very hard time with my recent diagnosis, but I wonder if that is because I became so incredibly run down trying to cope with it without knowing what was going on.

I started a thread here on AC regarding ASD Midlife Burnout. (I really should just have titled it "ASD adult Burnout.") I thought a few might respond-- turns out massive, life-altering shutdowns, and increased meltdowns, are common in autistics.

Emotional dysregulation seems to push us over the edge, even if trying to maintain employments in an NT world without appropriate ASD supports and accommodations in place may have been a factor leading up to these burnouts. Burnouts seem full of meltdowns, along with having our executive function as well as cognitive function decrease.

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is extra hard when we have these meltdowns calling out "why?" And people think we are in control, when in reality, it is a neurological even which must run its course. I hope you have good, caring supportive people in your
I've who understand your ASD as well as possible. I'm wishing you good things!

My last big meltdown changed me irrevocably. I don't think I will ever be the same again, especially now that I must take medication.

New Threads

Top Bottom