• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Seasme Street's Autistic Muppet

ZebraAspie

V.I.P Member
Finally watched some of Julie the Autistic Muppet in action. I think she is absolutely amazing and will hopefully help both NT and autistic kids understand and support autism better.

Finally watched some of Julie the Autistic Muppet in action. I think she is absolutely amazing and will hopefully help both NT and autistic kids understand and support autism better.

Pretty cool,huh?

Thanks for the share :)

Ah interesting a female Muppet, heard good things about her, the background to her, which I'm vague on now, might get around to watching on youtube

Thanks for sharing that. I expect she will make things better eventually. I do want to find out more about her.

It hasn't been shown on British TV since 2001:
Why did Britain fall out of love with Sesame Street? - with the exception of Northern Ireland which has its own version, Sesame Tree (or at least it did as of 2009). Cf Gary Younge's Sesame Street Theory of Conflict Resolution:
Much shared Grauniad article
I'm sure I watched it after 2001 on playhouse disney. I definatly watched Elmo's World on Milkshake. My Goddaughter watches it but they may be on youtube or video: She is American.

Just watched it before, I think the President of the USA would also benefit from watching it, an American classic, a big shame not shown here in UK, where parents could enjoy it with their kids, and both can learn. Sesame street still going strong, wow.

Last edited:
I like Julia! :) I'm very glad she will be an autistic presence on Sesame Street. This is wonderful progress! W00t! I love this!

What needs work: Currently, Elmo, Abby Cadabby, and humans *talk about* Julia, ....while she's _right there._
They discuss how she may react, and what might be challenging for her. Julia needs her own voice.
It can be simple signs or sign language, PECS, FC(facilitated communication), or AAC. While not everyone speaks, everyone communicates. The public needs the opportunity to recognize Julia's personhood, instead of viewing Julia as an object to be talked for/about. She's a person with active thoughts, and her own perspective--especially on her autism. Autistic lived-experience needs a voice. Autism is as much about strengths as deficits, and Julia's perspective has value. I hope in future we see Julia guiding us in understanding her experience better.

I like Julia! :) I'm very glad she will be an autistic presence on Sesame Street. This is wonderful progress! W00t! I love this!

What needs work: Currently, Elmo, Abby Cadabby, and humans *talk about* Julia, ....while she's _right there._
They discuss how she may react, and what might be challenging for her. Julia needs her own voice.
It can be simple signs or sign language, PECS, FC(facilitated communication), or AAC. While not everyone speaks, everyone communicates. The public needs the opportunity to recognize Julia's personhood, instead of viewing Julia as an object to be talked for/about. She's a person with active thoughts, and her own perspective--especially on her autism. Autistic lived-experience needs a voice. Autism is as much about strengths as deficits, and Julia's perspective has value. I hope in future we see Julia guiding us in understanding her experience better.
I agree with this by it's a good start. Maybe this a good way to start showing alternative forms of communication such as Julia learning sign launguage or pecs.

I've had people talk about me, in front of me, yes it's very strange wtf is going on kind of way, hello I'm standing here!

I'm supposed to be high functioning and can talk all day, but have problems communicating with people as it's a two way thing, she has classic autism, more of a challenge for her, she also appears happy the way she is! think we could all learn from her, to think people see a problem with that and want to cure her.

New Threads

Top Bottom