• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

SamQC

SamQC

Hello, my name is SamQC. I am 17 and a junior in high school. I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and ADHD when I was three years old. I have struggled my entire life, but am very high-functioning. Despite my struggles, I have done well in school. I have been on an IEP since I was three and have been in special ed classes throughout my schooling.

I will be graduating from high school next year, and would very much like to join the US Marines.
Does anyone know is the Marines accept someone with autism spectrum disorder?

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you in the community. Not sure about the marines and diagnosed asd. You can call a recruiter and ask.
Best wishes
IMG_2330.JPG

I htink they do. My nephew is in your same situation! I think you can get a specail waiver. You should mention it, for sure. Don't hide stuff. But you need to talk to a recruiter now. You can talk on the phone and not give info if you just want info.

The armed forces need guys and gals, and many of the recruiters know that it is NOT aspergers that causes trouble . It's the co-morbid and other stuff.

If you do well in school, you may not have the other troubles.

talk to a recruiter. Oh....AND HIT THE GYM!!!! How many pull ups can you do? Get that book about boot camp and start ruck marching. You CAN DO IT!! The Marines are really cool. Good luck :)

Hello, my name is SamQC. I am 17 and a junior in high school. I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and ADHD when I was three years old. I have struggled my entire life, but am very high-functioning. Despite my struggles, I have done well in school. I have been on an IEP since I was three and have been in special ed classes throughout my schooling.

I will be graduating from high school next year, and would very much like to join the US Marines.
Does anyone know is the Marines accept someone with autism spectrum disorder?
hi samQC, welcome to AC-i hope you stick around as you might find AC very helpful.

ive done a bit of research into this,and the belief is that the US marines has a stricter view on aspergers or PDDNOS/so called mild ASD-the regular army accepts aspies apparently but you may need to do a lot of arguing to prove your abilities to the marines,you never know unless you try though, dont let a label stop your dreams.

Welcome to AC! If you have trouble joining the Marines, give the Army a chance. The Marine Corps is a lot smaller than the Army, so sometimes they can be more selective. I tried joining the Marines at 23 and got the run around for months. They prefer 18-19 year olds. So I went next door and joined the Army. I was gone in just a few weeks.

I respect your desire to deserve, but I will caution you to be very sure of what you are getting into. I do not regret serving, but the Army was not a good fit for me. Certain aspects of AS can make military life really difficult. And unlike most jobs, you can't quit if you realize you don't like the military.

New Threads

Top Bottom