• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Retromod Computers

A lot of people with Microtoss tattooed across their foreheads try to tell me that the only reason I don't get viruses is because not many people use linux so no one bothers making viruses for it. Having a secure system is an alien concept to them.

If you're running an seLinux you can't even create your own virus for your own system with full root access. It simply won't allow itself to be corrupted.

A lot of people with Microtoss tattooed across their foreheads try to tell me that the only reason I don't get viruses is because not many people use linux so no one bothers making viruses for it. Having a secure system is an alien concept to them.

If you're running an seLinux you can't even create your own virus for your own system with full root access. It simply won't allow itself to be corrupted.
I run ClamTK and over the last two years have had only three viruses. All of them Microsoft viruses that had no effect on my Linux OS. I know two of them were related to "Winetricks".

I run ClamTK
I haven't tried playing with Clam since the early days, around 2006. It didn't bother removing any viruses because they were no threat, it just pointed them out so that you didn't accidentally send an infected file to some poor sucker running Windows.

But of course you can open infected documents no problem. That's handy if someone needs to retain the information in an infected document, you can open it and copy and paste all the information in to a new uninfected document for them.

I haven't tried playing with Clam since the early days, around 2006. It didn't bother removing any viruses because they were no threat, it just pointed them out so that you didn't accidentally send an infected file to some poor sucker running Windows.
The later versions offer one to delete them entirely. But it also identifies them as Windows-oriented, having no effect at all in Linux. Though I just read the author of the GUI for Clam (Tk) has ended support for the GUI part. Though I suppose someone else will probably pick up and create another simple GUI as well. In any event I suspect most Linux repositories will continue to offer it. I haven't tried using Clam with only the Terminal yet. In any event it takes up little in the way of system resources compared to a Windows equivalent.

LOL. I was just thinking, so many jaded and skeptical Windows users would probably scoff at such a statement.
This is why I like MacOS, well, for the most part. Things are generally where you left them, though with recent updates a few things have moved from where they have been for perhaps the last two decades. They seem to be trying to make it more uniform with the iPad OS. Normally you can figure out where things have moved with a little lateral thinking.

MS tends to make some pretty big changes, for example the "Charms Menu" and lack of "Start Menu" in Windows 8. That was frustrating, but kinda dumb that they back pedaled on it in windows 10. So presumably the people who started with windows 8 felt like nothing was where it was supposed to be. That's just one example of many though.

I think with MacOS anyone that's comfortable with the most recent OS could intuitively navigate around with confidence on a machine running OSX 10.2 from over 20 years ago.

The thing I like most is that for 16 years, all I had to do with a new machine was to copy my Home folder and Applications folder to a new system and I was off to the races. Recently I decided to go through and delete 19 years worth of files I probably didn't need or hadn't looked at forever, which freed up a load of space. In some ways it's felt like I've been using the very same PowerPC Mac I bought nearly two decades ago!

I hope it was a wise choice, I've pretty much always been able to lay my hands on files I saved years ago and everything has been in the same place it always has been.

It's a shame that PowerPC Macs are basically useless as I would be more than happy to use mine still.

LOL, I'm still having to get used to the increased transfer rates of files, particularly through USB 2.0 and 3.0+. So much better. Like my old system but on steroids. :cool:

Funny to think how many times I have repeated this scenario. I build systems with the best components that outlast their technical obsolescence. So I tend to hold onto them for dear life rather than upgrade just because the industry tells me so.

However doing this every 12 years is no longer realistic. I admit it now. But dayim....these aren't the cheapest things to build, either. And it's no secret the industry wants and expects you to abandon your hardware every four years or so. Ugh.

Now I have a new problem. Looking at my detached older computer in a lovely Silverstone TJ08-E case. Already thinking of gutting out that one and putting up-to-date components in it as well. That may prove to be a bigger "magic act" than my retromod computer. Much smaller case, more complex thermodynamics to consider. Requiring an mATX motherboard to fit inverted. It's kind of the "Poseidon Adventure" of PC building. - "Hell upside down". I forgot, I think I even posted that this case was to serve as my original restomod computer. But I got spooked by the smaller internal space relative to heat and airflow considerations. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A good explanation of why I built this recent computer without an Asus motherboard.

New Threads

Top Bottom