• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relating to others

V.I.P Member
I can’t relate to other people anywhere including here .I can’t even relate to animals. I have tried with the simplest way I know through music.I am a social idiot .I don’t get it. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Many failed attempts here just as In my normal life .Failed experiment. Nothing has changed for me just the environment, dislocation from humanity and all social things is the only thing that brings me peace.

Don't you have some friendships here? Do you really feel you can't relate, or is it not reaching a Neurotypical standard that bothers you? I realize you said you can't relate to animals, but perhaps it's an issue of understanding/accepting your relating style.

@330
I can't help but wonder exactly what "relating to others" means to you? What would successful and satisfying relating look like?

Disassociation or attachment theory....is I think common in autism
At my age my asd symptoms are worse....I'm rude and just blunt and lately I don't even bother to answer door

At first glance it is hard to understand. Looking at your profile, you have posted 1500 times on what must be hundreds of threads and gotten positive reactions 4000 times. That doesn't seem to be a failed social interaction.

You do mention the inabiity to relate, and not feeling peace with it. I am not sure about the first part, the relating, but the not feeling peace sounds like it doesn't provide satisfaction, like something is missing.

I think the nature of online socializing is to a large degree simply like that as far as satisfaction. Close but no Cigar, as we used to say (before you could get cancelled for mentioning smoking materials). It just will fall short of actual people and interactions.

But also better then nothing and it can be a continual touchstone to remember,, I am not alone, there are others like me.

@330
I can't help but wonder exactly what "relating to others" means to you? What would successful and satisfying relating look like?
This was exactly the very first thought that popped in to my head. What is it you want from other people?

Quite a lot of people think that being friends means that they come over for drinks or coffee almost every day, I can't live like that and I let people know very quickly that that's not on. Living in each other's back pockets isn't very comfortable for me. I meet a lot of people and enjoy talking to them when I go out, but it's extremely rare that I'll try to catch up with any of them again, that's not something I need in my life. I'm sociable but I'm also self sufficient.

New Threads

Top Bottom