• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relating to/becoming fixated on fictional characters

Ishtar

Does anybody else have one particular fictional character you relate to and think about alot? I personally relate to Holden Caulfield from The Catcher In The Rye - to the point where I always wear a long grey jacket and a red hunting cap during winter. Also, if I feel somebody isn't genuine, the first thing that pops into my head is always "what a goddamn phony."

Have you ever became fixated on one character, to the point of emulating them subtly? (Or not so subtly?)

Well I have fixated on a lot of characters for most of my life and one that comes to my mind at the moment is belle from beauty and the beast I relate to the part where the villagers thought she was odd and different a feeling that I have struggle with most of my life.

Lorelai Leigh "Rory" Gilmore. She reads a lot, she's a people-pleaser, she is too considerate of other people's feelings for her own good, she bends over backwards not to offend anyone… did I just repeat myself twice?

Characters are kinda my thing, especially Disney characters. My two favorites are Mickey Mouse and Scrooge McDuck, though I also like pretty much everyone in their circles. I've never been to a Disney park but when I do I'm going to spend hours just stalking characters. XD

one scientist Marie Curie
http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/...ica?guid=449f79b5-8e8f-4b22-97e8-7d7b35e6ace9
Some unimportant info-sharing from another autie :D
I used to have to go retrieve trucks that got stuck inside the restricted area here by our local authorities. We were instructed to stay the minimal amount of time necessary inside the fence. The entire area downstream from the plant location has been a hotspot of cancer since it's early days of production. Chartiers Creek had some major dredging done to remove the radioactivity that flowed downstream from the original plant.

*Cough* do I even need to explain who? LOL.

I know he's a crazy obsessive killer, but hey, haven't we all got a little of that in us? I mean, the obsessive part is a nice service to my OCD lol.

But really though, the actor who played the role in the 25th Anniversary of the musical based his portrayel off of Aspergers. I'm sure there's an article somewhere, I'm too lazy to explain :D

Plus, he wears an awesome outfit. I wish it was socially acceptable for a girl to wear a suit and cape, with a snazzy hat. Don't forget the feather!

Quite a few. I remember the first one I emulated was Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. even got a red t-shirt with black stripes to dress like him. Then it was Tony Montana from Scarface for some odd reason. Now it's the guy from Hatred, at least in my forum persona. (It's prooooooooobably good that I don't IRL!) It's really ironic because Not Important is probably the flattest, most one-dimensional antihero ever. Probably intentionally so.

One above all others:

Andrew Wiggin, the genius among child military geniuses, and protagonist of Ender's Game. Reading this book at age seven, a year younger than Ender, and at a moment of converging circumstances, made Ender more real to me than virtually any human being could have been. Ender was not only more like me than any of my classmates, but he provided a model that linked who I was to all the historical figures (Hannibal, Alexander, and Caesar) who I had put on pedestals of their own.

For some people, Jesus is the central figure in their life, and they would have interpreted Ender through the lens that Jesus provides. I actually did the opposite - Ender gave me my primary model and mode of being for many years.

I've had so many over the course of my 26 years that I can't even begin to remember them all! Sherlock Holmes, Bruce Wayne and Hannibal Lecter immediately come to mind, though.
Not that I wanted to eat folks, but Hannibal is just so elegant and educated and cultured! Sherlock and Batman for the same reasons. They were master detectives and could solve any problem.
More recently, I've toned down the pretenses and become more fixated on Ron Swanson.

I like the Trolls from Homestuck. I wish I could be one of them. A few days ago when I was typing in purple, I was interested in the Troll Gamzee Makara. But that has changed since I have found a Troll who suits me better. I have decided that Damara Megido is the one who best represents me.

I can relate to the fact that she's a weeaboo (meaning "lover of all things Japanese", Often used in a disparaging way. Damara's actually part of a group called The Lost Weeaboos). I can also relate to the fact that she snapped after being scorned by her love interest and being bullied. Believe it or not, I also use crude language too (though only around those closest to me, because I enjoy shocking them for cheap laughs).

Lastly, I love Damara's character design, but that's a given since I'm a weeaboo.

I like the Trolls from Homestuck. I wish I could be one of them. A few days ago when I was typing in purple, I was interested in the Troll Gamzee Makara. But that has changed since I have found a Troll who suits me better. I have decided that Damara Megido is the one who best represents me.

I can relate to the fact that she's a weeaboo (meaning "lover of all things Japanese", Often used in a disparaging way. Damara's actually part of a group called The Lost Weeaboos). I can also relate to the fact that she snapped after being scorned by her love interest and being bullied. Believe it or not, I also use crude language too (though only around those closest to me, because I enjoy shocking them for cheap laughs).

Lastly, I love Damara's character design, but that's a given since I'm a weeaboo.
Hey! I like Homestuck, too! My favourite's Rose but I can relate to John, Dave, Jade and Kanaya.
John's a dork like me, i'm interested in plants like Jade - I also have a dog who is kind of like a gaurdian. I also have precongnetive dreams like Jade too. Like Dave, i really like music. Kanaya is my zodiac troll, i like fashion and I am very caring and motherly.

*Absolutely.* (Disclaimer: I'm not diagnosed with Asperger's/ASD - just considering whether to be evaluated.)

In fact, subtly imitating characters is a (secretly) defining trait of my entire life.

In elementary to middle school, this ranged from tapping my foot - because Sonic the Hedgehog does that - to saying a sentence said by Zechs from "Gundam Wing" in a situation that had nothing to do with that show. As an adult, I smoked cigars for a bit because Sir Integra from "Hellsing" did that.

Frequently, though, my favorites are villainous, dark or misunderstood characters who nonetheless have sympathetic qualities. From a young age, I naively imitated or had imaginary conversations with some inappropriate and macabre characters, simply because I understood that they were "dark" but had yet to comprehend the gravity of the things they'd done. And even now, as an adult, I gravitate toward aberrant characters.

And strangely, while I was emotionally bound up in my small imitations, I half wanted people to know what I was doing and half wanted them not to know. My feelings regarding each of these characters were so oddly personal that it would feel both pleasurable and painful if someone recognized who I "was" at a given moment.

The bizarrely personal nature of this interest is part of the reason I didn't do much cosplay - I think that was somehow too overt, and I might've recognized that some of my characters would be ill-received. However, I'm bolder today and I might do it now.

I played a storytelling RPG online for a time, with a few friends and lots of others I didn't know from life. I became so pleasurably addicted to that game that I might stay up until 3-4 a.m. when I had to wake up for work at 6-7 a.m. During this time I got rather sick, which convinced me to stop.

I strongly suspect that this affinity for playing desirable characters - especially juxtaposed with the characters of my few close friends - led to my obsessive behavior around that game. I wish I could fit such a thing into my life more easily.

Last edited:
I've spent most of my life emulating characters that were respected and liked, first as a way of trying to fit in and later because I wanted to be like them. When I was very young it was Jak, the hero from the "Jak and Daxter" series, but I always prefered the misunderstood, antihero version from the later games.
Then it was Skulduggery Pleasant, the wise cracking, undead detective from the book series of the same name. I liked him because of the way he was obviously mentally disturbed, but still spent all of his time trying to help others and was still able to be a respected and impressive character.
My latest character has been Karma from Assassination Classroom. I like him because we have the same strengths and weaknesses, all intelligence and strength and skill, but with serious anger issues and a bad habit of letting his self confidence and laziness get the best of him.
I still have my love of suits and ties from Skulduggery Pleasant though.

Yesssss!!!!!!!!

Sherlock Holmes (new version and Sir Author Conan Doyle's, to a lesser extent), Spock, and Obiwan Kenobi. Though I keep on swapping fiction domes (waiting for next Sherlock season to come out.), I have always had an especially strong connection with Obiwan for some reason.

Jillian Holtzmann from Ghostbusters <3 <3 <3 Amethyst from Steven Universe, Marceline from Adventure Time, Rain from 'Rain' (webcomic)

I relate a bit too Violet in American Horror Story in that I am not scared of anyone. However, I doubt this comes across in my behaviour, as my anxiety may get mixed up with my personality. Debatable whether I really relate to her because maybe anxiety is part of my personality. Who knows. Anyway, I also relate a bit to Katniss from the Hunger Games in the way that she deals with people. Maybe, not ideal considering the situation she was in.

'Ello. 'Nother fly-by. Fixation on the character my username is based on is obvious, and I want pretty much everything he has; powers, mind (I wanna' either fuse our personalities, or keep mine, I may just go with fuse), and body (even if the screwed hormones are the cause of his androgeny). Although, I suppose it'd be more accurate that I very specifically want everything he has in the context that I'm also a Gauna (preferable a composite of the Knights of Sidonia gauna and the Blame! black gauna), as that would effectively be invincible and unaging, both unreachable goals of mine.

New Threads

Top Bottom