• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reading makes my head spin

Jenisautistic

V.I.P Member

When I try to read or listen to an audiobook just give me a headache it’s not because I can’t read the words or understand them. Once I read the sentence my head starts to feel dizzy and it starts to pound a little bit.

My mind does not wander but I still can’t get focused on reading or as they call it get into reading

This kind of thing used to happen when I was watching long TV shows or movies too but it’s not happening with that much anymore

But I find books and audiobooks and reading in general even writing some of the time or maybe even most of the time even though I use speech to text.

I have no idea whether I like to read or not it Just makes me feel funny.

Even reading back my short stories and books give have a headache.

Is this happening to anyone?

I can’t really get sucked in to things that much either as I used to maybe it’s because of all this technology and multitasking but I’m not entirely sure.

The only thing I really like to do was watch YouTube videos sometimes watch Netflix and movies

I also like to color draw and and write other stuff butBesides coloring I find those things frustrating to not watching YouTube videos or Netflix or movies but writing other stuff.

But it’s not that I’m depressed I’m not. I like going outside and doing things as much as I can do to my capacity of living with my grandmother and not really be able to go anywhere by myself. I also like going on trips with my special-needs group and going to camp as well as some other things like talking two friends for a little bit period of tiime and also spending time my mom and other family going on trips and going out watching plays etc. .

Maybe it’s also because it from remembering things which also frustrates me but I could be reserved for a different topic.

So anyone have any ideas tips or tricks?I would really appreciate some kind of feedback or help.

Maybe get your glasses checked? To see if they are the right strength, they could be making you a bit dizzy.

Or maybe it's that your not interested right now in reading, but will be later at another time.

Or you could be distracted by noise around you or outside. I find it hard to concentrate when it's noisy.

I’ve tried reading..non fiction and fiction and I can’t focus or take interest in black words on paper. Just can’t get the concentration. So know how you feel. Maybe try comics? I’m thing that right now

How do you read? I mean: in what position are you reading, because it could be that you are straining your eyes and in turn, that causes a dizzy feeling.

When I try to read or listen to an audiobook just give me a headache it’s not because I can’t read the words or understand them. Once I read the sentence my head starts to feel dizzy and it starts to pound a little bit.

My mind does not wander but I still can’t get focused on reading or as they call it get into reading

This kind of thing used to happen when I was watching long TV shows or movies too but it’s not happening with that much anymore

But I find books and audiobooks and reading in general even writing some of the time or maybe even most of the time even though I use speech to text.

I have no idea whether I like to read or not it Just makes me feel funny.

Even reading back my short stories and books give have a headache.

Is this happening to anyone?

I can’t really get sucked in to things that much either as I used to maybe it’s because of all this technology and multitasking but I’m not entirely sure.

The only thing I really like to do was watch YouTube videos sometimes watch Netflix and movies

I also like to color draw and and write other stuff butBesides coloring I find those things frustrating to not watching YouTube videos or Netflix or movies but writing other stuff.

But it’s not that I’m depressed I’m not. I like going outside and doing things as much as I can do to my capacity of living with my grandmother and not really be able to go anywhere by myself. I also like going on trips with my special-needs group and going to camp as well as some other things like talking two friends for a little bit period of tiime and also spending time my mom and other family going on trips and going out watching plays etc. .

Maybe it’s also because it from remembering things which also frustrates me but I could be reserved for a different topic.

So anyone have any ideas tips or tricks?I would really appreciate some kind of feedback or help.
try to read set a sentence at a time !and then have a break !I do that with the Bible as it's overwhelming if I try to read anymore.
get books that are large print it will be easier to read larger amounts .
children's illustrated books are good for this especially younger children

This happens to me if I try to read small print without my reading glasses, or if the background light on my PC is too bright.

I was just reading something about this last week. They mentioned tinted glasses (different colors help different people). Pink was a good one for reading. I have to try this. I also learned I'm possibly dyslexic. Used to think dyslexia only meant you read words backwards.

Can't stand fiction but I love anything nonfiction. But often while reading my mind drifts and I go on autopilot. I'll actually read anywhere from a paragraph to 2 pages, but not have registered it, I'll just remember what I was thinking about instead. So I have to go back to the last thing I remember and try again. It really bothers me.

Another thing about the vision, since I was a kid, if I move or shake something with clear divisions in color, one color will shake at a different rate, exactly like it's mounted on springs. When I was a kid I used to think alarm clocks had displays mounted on springs for that reason. Had to tear one apart to find they were not.

I keep my PC monitor and phone turned considerably down so it's easier on my eyes.

New Threads

Top Bottom