• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I'm trying organize my sleeping habits, particularly going to bed early and getting up early; and this month, I'm having a lot of difficulties getting enough sleep at all. One day my girlfriend suggested taking naps. For me as an Aspie, my kind of "naps" involve lying on my bed doing nothing apart from trying to keep comfortable, and using what I can to block out the sunlight that gets through the blind in my bedroom's window.

My question here is simply, does that actually help? Does lying in bed doing nothing help with drowsiness and the like? I did take that kind of "nap" today, and it seems to have helped a bit, I did feel quite refreshed afterwards.

Seems like it helped? I don't seem to need much sleep, but I know some people like to nap, and find it refreshes them. Do what works for you, it's good that you are trying it out.

I'm trying organize my sleeping habits, particularly going to bed early and getting up early; and this month, I'm having a lot of difficulties getting enough sleep at all. One day my girlfriend suggested taking naps. For me as an Aspie, my kind of "naps" involve lying on my bed doing nothing apart from trying to keep comfortable, and using what I can to block out the sunlight that gets through the blind in my bedroom's window.

My question here is simply, does that actually help? Does lying in bed doing nothing help with drowsiness and the like? I did take that kind of "nap" today, and it seems to have helped a bit, I did feel quite refreshed afterwards.

That's called a "power nap". Very good for you.

I have no problem sleeping. If I lay down it's hard to stay awake.
I'm an owl and stay up all night. Get about 5 hours sleep, get up and have breakfast around 10 am
then go back and sleep another 2-3 hours in the afternoon.
Odd hours I know. But, that's what works for me since I don't have to work anymore.

As long as you get enough sleep and keep it the same time routine is important.

For me rest must be on a sequential basis. Otherwise a nap just disrupts my circadian rhythm.

When I do take a nap it's usually out of desperation, where I'm simply unable to function otherwise. Though I also suspect the aging process isn't making this any easier.

I'm fascinated by those people who can take naps on a sustained basis rather than get a full night's rest. Seems to me comedian Bob Hope did this a lot, especially when on tour in Vietnam during the war.

Last edited:
In the last ten years or so, I have really gotten into mid-afternoon naps. I get really tired about 2:00 or so and sleep for a hour or hour and a half. It really helps and I am good until bed time.

Melatonin is a God-send. It's so helpful. With my cancer treatment as a single mother, I've become so worry-ridden that I have become terribly sleep deprived. Literally staying up for days until I crash from exhaustion. And now with covid, the riots, and the fires, I just am so worry-eaten that it has become even worse.

I started taking melatonin, and it makes me sleepy enough that I can crash out and get good sleep. I wake up early the next morning completely refreshed, and ready for the day.

The first few months it gave me weird dreams, but that stopped, and now I can enjoy a deep sleep about 20 minutes to an hour after lying down.

At first you may only need 1 mg, but you can take more. A "maximum" dose would be about 10 mg. But you don't want to take that if you can help it. You'll be a half-asleep zombie for the next few days.

It's very safe, I even use it on my daughter who is racked with worry over her mother's cancer, covid, the riots, and now the fires. We've also had a few friends die (mostly of cancer) while I have been in cancer treatment, which just adds to the stress and insomnia.

Melatonin, some good friends, and a lot of prayer is all that gets us through.

New Threads

Top Bottom