• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Questions

Amanda763

Okay, I am 33. I was never diagnosed as autistic, but recently i have learned of high functioning autism. I have been diagnosed many things such as bipolar or depressive disorder, borderline OCD, and borderline personality disorder. I realize a long time ago that I just wasn’t comfortable around people and I do okay at work. I have been fired repeatedly for correcting my managers mistakes and for the life of me cannot figure out how to have close friends. There are other things, but really I just want to talk to someone who might be having similar problems. I want to know if I could learn these things. Maybe find a councilor. Im afraid to ask because I am a single parent and I have had to work hard to prove that I am a fit parent. I don't want to give another reason, but I want to find answers to my questions.

Hi Amanda,
You're definitely in the right place to talk to people with similar problems.
So far I haven't been doing too well at not correcting people/managers/professors/you name it, not getting fired and making or keeping friends, so I'm not the one with the best advice, but here you'll find a lot of members with similar challenges and a lot of insight.

Welcome :)

Hello, welcome to the site! I don't have the same issues as you unfortunately. However I think you need a case worker, or a social worker or someone similar? They personally could help you out. I know it's different for many places in the world.. so not sure what your area has. I wish you luck though!

Welcome to AC! You have come to the right place to find people with similar struggles.

Okay, I am 33. I was never diagnosed as autistic, but recently i have learned of high functioning autism. I have been diagnosed many things such as bipolar or depressive disorder, borderline OCD, and borderline personality disorder. I realize a long time ago that I just wasn’t comfortable around people and I do okay at work. I have been fired repeatedly for correcting my managers mistakes and for the life of me cannot figure out how to have close friends. There are other things, but really I just want to talk to someone who might be having similar problems. I want to know if I could learn these things. Maybe find a councilor. Im afraid to ask because I am a single parent and I have had to work hard to prove that I am a fit parent. I don't want to give another reason, but I want to find answers to my questions.
hi amanda, welcome to AC!
it is very common for adult undiagnosed females on the spectrum to be diagnosed with personality disorders long before they gain a autism diagnosis,it had once been beleieved females were not affected by autism, and to pyschologists, borderline PD and so forth can be similar in certain ways to autism [black and white thinking, emotion regulation problems,relationship problems etc],hopefully you are now on the right track.

you are worried as a single parent...
ill tell you something relateable, when i was at school, i was made to sit at the back of the class on the 'unteachables' table, and one of the girls on there-michelle had mild intellectual disability behavioral difficulties from her upbringing,and learning difficulties including dyslexia,she is now a happy but busy single mum and the social services would never take the kids off her despite her rocky past with animals.

the social wont do it unless the situation is desperate and the kids health and lives are at immediate risk, for example, a person might deliberately not feed them long term or poison them with salt to make them ill or they might be mentally ill and be paranoid about the child coming to harm them so they might attempt to kill them, all these kinds of things are what social services strive to take kids away from parents for,not because your aspie and a mother or father.

welcome.png

hi amanda, welcome to AC!
it is very common for adult undiagnosed females on the spectrum to be diagnosed with personality disorders long before they gain a autism diagnosis,it had once been beleieved females were not affected by autism, and to pyschologists, borderline PD and so forth can be similar in certain ways to autism [black and white thinking, emotion regulation problems,relationship problems etc],hopefully you are now on the right track.

you are worried as a single parent...
ill tell you something relateable, when i was at school, i was made to sit at the back of the class on the 'unteachables' table, and one of the girls on there-michelle had mild intellectual disability behavioral difficulties from her upbringing,and learning difficulties including dyslexia,she is now a happy but busy single mum and the social services would never take the kids off her despite her rocky past with animals.

the social wont do it unless the situation is desperate and the kids health and lives are at immediate risk, for example, a person might deliberately not feed them long term or poison them with salt to make them ill or they might be mentally ill and be paranoid about the child coming to harm them so they might attempt to kill them, all these kinds of things are what social services strive to take kids away from parents for,not because your aspie and a mother or father.
Thank you for responding. I have dealt with them in the past and they always tell me I am doing a good job and go away. I know I struggle sometimes but my son comes first. Although I do wish i didn't have such a difficult time going to his school functions and such. I don't like to be in crowded places. I just worry it will give my family an excuse to try harder.

New Threads

Top Bottom