• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question on special interests?

So I've been listening to people with ASD talk about what special interests are. One woman, in a podcast, said that NTs might enjoy gardening but an autistic who likes gardening will also look up a lot of facts about it.
Here people talk about special interests in that way.
My questions:
1. If you see a person who besides doing gardening also looks up a lot of info and history of gardening then the he/she must be autistic?
Then you could always ask about the people who went all into the Beatles. Can't they be NT?
Even people with bipolar or ADHD seem to have special interests.

2. Do people really have to enjoy gardening if that is a special interest? Can't a special interest also be frustrating as you are trying to become better at it?
Many people tell me that their interests can be filled with frustrations at times. It is like they need days off from it.

3. Why talk about the term special interets when it is a very informal term? Why not use more formal terminology?
I'm not keen on the term "special interests". It seems a bit patronising. Or, at least, not all autistic people have it. If it's something obscure like spotting trains then maybe. But I don't feel I have anything other than normal interests that relate to the world in relevant ways.

I'm not keen on the term "special interests". It seems a bit patronising. Or, at least, not all autistic people have it. If it's something obscure like spotting trains then maybe. But I don't feel I have anything other than normal interests that relate to the world in relevant ways.
Me too. When I say that I have an interest in something, most autistics assume it's a special interest and that I spend numerous hours a day studying it and talk nonstop about it to everyone else.
Yes, I do have things that interest me but they're just interests, no special interests. I lack focusing skills so I can't really have an actual special interest. The only thing I can focus on is emotions.

I worked in lab alone would fill with NT's discussing sports I would ask what are they seeking related to the product. ignore the general conversation. Lets get to business, your here for a reason. My special interest was their product or for the most part the colour.

New Threads

Top Bottom