• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

PTSD, PDD-NOS, and Access to Therapy

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
My two main diagnoses are PDD-NOS and PTSD. I've been trying to seek treatment for my PTSD but my PDD-NOS is getting in the way. I went to this one therapy place four times. The waiting room was packed, there were people coming from every direction, and the tv was blasting. This led to two full blown meltdowns where I was screaming at the top of my lungs. After the second time having a meltdown I was told I should either find a smaller therapist's office or go into more intensive treatment so I wouldn't get so overwhelmed. I was referred to a neurodevelopmental psychologist, who I cannot afford and therefore cannot see. My insurance company will only pay for large facilities and not quiet therapy offices. I found this one place exclusively for PTSD that has no charge. I know nothing about it but made an appointment for in two weeks. Feel like I'm having too many autism issues and it may not be the right place for me but I really can't afford to private pay a therapist and my parents can't afford it either. I'd hate to get there and scream and traumatize some of the other patients. I feel like I should just cancel but then I'll have nothing. Should I go?

My two main diagnoses are PDD-NOS and PTSD. I've been trying to seek treatment for my PTSD but my PDD-NOS is getting in the way. I went to this one therapy place four times. The waiting room was packed, there were people coming from every direction, and the tv was blasting. This led to two full blown meltdowns where I was screaming at the top of my lungs. After the second time having a meltdown I was told I should either find a smaller therapist's office or go into more intensive treatment so I wouldn't get so overwhelmed. I was referred to a neurodevelopmental psychologist, who I cannot afford and therefore cannot see. My insurance company will only pay for large facilities and not quiet therapy offices. I found this one place exclusively for PTSD that has no charge. I know nothing about it but made an appointment for in two weeks. Feel like I'm having too many autism issues and it may not be the right place for me but I really can't afford to private pay a therapist and my parents can't afford it either. I'd hate to get there and scream and traumatize some of the other patients. I feel like I should just cancel but then I'll have nothing. Should I go?

Yes.

butterfly88, in terms of tv or music -you can ask them politely if they could turn the music down just while your there as your autism causes extreme pain in reaction to the sound,my support staff do it all the time for me, i also wear industrial strength ear defenders and dope myself up with lorazepam before i go out,these things really help me,i also carry stim toys around with me at all times so i can fiddle with these and also practice mindfulness meditation where you feel every sensation that arrises from holding the stim toy,you can 'scan' your whole body this way 'feeling' each part thinking about the sensations each part gives and it takes you away from a lot of the crap going on,i love mindfulness,its not perfect but it helps.

another good accomodation you can ask for is a spare room to wait in for your appointment, making sure to mention how your autism affects your ability to be in the waiting area;again my staff do this any time i cant cope with waiting anywhere and theyre always happy to oblige as it is a disability accomodation.

Can you call them ahead of time and ask what their waiting room is like, and whether or not they would be willing to accomodate you as toothless suggests?

That way you would have some idea of what you face if you go, and could make an informed decision.

If you did call to ask questions, I would suggest very specific ones like:

~ "Can you tell me how many people are usually waiting?"

~ "Can you tell me approx. how big the waiting room is -- like [width by length, square ft/sq meters, how many chairs, whatever would help you figure out how the size of the waiting room compares to how many people are usually in it... or maybe they could take a picture of it just before or after office hours when it is empty and email it to you]?"

~ "Do you have a TV/music/radio in the waiting room?"

...instead of subjective descriptions like "lots" vs "not a lot", "busy" vs. "not-busy", or "loud" vs. "quiet" because they may have different ideas than you do about what these things mean, even if you try to explain you are really, really sensitive.

I have PTSD, too, and some kind of PDD. TVs in waiting rooms are a bad thing and I hate them, too. I agree about the earplugs and stuff to drown it out.

I can't add anything but want to say how much I understand about the insurance and how hard to find a therapist, etc. I had to find one who did pro bono but it did not help a lot. But I hope you will have a good experience!!!

I have both PTSD and ASD-1 (Asperger's), and I'm currently seeing 2 therapists. One I love, his waiting room is always quiet and empty, with no bright lights or fluorescent bulbs, just floor lamps, a salt lamp, and a small water fountain running in a corner that I love to watch (stupid thing always makes me have to pee though).

The other T-doc has a busy waiting room with music playing in it, although not loudly. I find I have to pace in the busy waiting room just to deal with the crowds and noise. I won't be seeing her very long, but its been a good experience.

I agree, ask questions about specifics and ask for accommodations before-hand just in case the environment is not Autism-friendly. They deal with this all the time, they should be eager to accommodate. Good luck!

Just an aside Butterfly, but if earplugs don't work for you, you might want to try a cheapish pair of ear defenders/shooting ear muffs like Toothless suggested. You can get them from the sporting goods department at a place like Walmarts. For $20 or so you can get a pair that cut noise by 30 decibels or so which brings the sound level of say, an office or restaurant, down the the level of a library. Just make sure to read the packaging as they vary from 20 to 30 dB noise reduction or so. They're a lot more comfortable than ear plugs. And less gross (no ear wax to deal with!).

New Threads

Top Bottom