• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problems with chewing food?

King_Oni

V.I.P Member
So I've been wondering this and have had problems with this for as long as I remember actually.

Does anyone here have problems with chewing food? I understood that fine motor skills are sometimes a problem on the spectrum. Google told me that it's quite common for people on the spectrum to obsess to chewing too much.

I on the other hand have had a problem with chewing food. It's worse when it's "small" stuff like corn or peas actually. I remember that as a child my mom told me "you need to chew your food more throughly or else you'll get problems with digestion.". I asked her "how many times do I need to chew a bite?". I remember she told me "about 10 times would be a start". So that to me is a guideline, but I really have to focus on chewing my food (and eventually hope my mind doesn't wander to somewhere else; and that's usually the case). But even then, it's like I have problems with chewing before my saliva takes it down my throat.

Besides chewing I do probably have an oversensitive mouth in regards to "hot" stuff. Not spicy, just food that is rather hot, as my body as a reflex will rather swallow it down. My throat and my stomach, aren't as sensitive with that temperature though (but it's kinda cooled off due to fluids the road down).

So... anyone else have anything going on as to problems with chewing?

I'm quite neurotic with food.

I never had any problems with chewing, but I always had problems with other people's chewing. There were points where I'd be so consumed by this I would only eat alone. Or my heart would race and I'd have to hold back anger and frustration fits when I'd hear someone chew or eat loudly or 'wrong'. Because of this I'd have periods of overfocusing on how I chewed in public.

But I figured out the trick, so I have less of that problem in public. I either have to eat something at the same time and focus on that, or I have to be watching something. At least then my frustration is bearable, but it will still bother me.

Otherwise, I do also have other weird and questionable food habits and discomforts. I really hate feeling full is one, although it's a bit unavoidable. I have embarassing problems eating certain foods (at least gracefully) like spaghetti. But I think it's the textures that bother me the most about food, which can make a full post in itself. But more on topic, there are some that I feel like I can't swallow or chew right, if that makes any sense. So if I don't somehow do it right, I'll feel like I'll throw it up.

The only chewing problems that I have had is with Steak. As a child I hated eating steak due to its tough and chewy texture and would always opt for beef if it were an option.

I found out I have TMJ (Not being able to open your jaws all the way because the joint is out of place) and it's hard to eat foods like burgers or sandwiches. Hard foods aren't nice either, like carrots.

I am also very picky about what I eat, but other than that... I don't have much problems with chewing, just more so being able to take a bite! Haha.

I only want to eat my food with my mouth "open". I never realized this until a few people told me I should chew with my mouth closed- I find that very hard and therefore like to eat by myself. I also make a mess when I eat, especially when at a restaurant. But......I don't care

I like to eat by myself because of other people chewing.

Really, no ones complained about my eating habits. However, I find myself self conscious a lot because of how anxious/disgusted I get with so many other people's.

I used to, when I was very young. It was so bad that my parents had to put the food in the blender. I was that kid who wouldn't eat his vegetables. It got bad enough that my doctor prescribed vitamins for me...

Now as an adult, it isn't a problem except for the fact that I bite myself occasionally. I am also addicted to chewing gum (I just need to chew on stuff).

Oh yes i have problems with chewing food, i chew it too fast, and my parents have complained about my very loud chewing, they said it's range bordered on 70 decibel, i found it squat at first, but when they recorded it and showed it to me, it opened some doors.

Hey, you have an urge to chew stuff? i have that too and my doctor recognizes it as a symptom of my tourette's, maybe you should get checked out.

I never noticed until recently that I don't chew my food. I have to make a concious effort to keep it in my mouth for more than a second, and even then I'm not sure how much to chew or how to chew properly. My instinct is to just put the food in my mouth and swallow and eat whatever is on my plate as fast as I can.

Chewing is difficult. I am not clumsy, but standing up to eat, much less walking while eating, takes too much concentration. TMJ. Peanut butter is a useful food. I eat it every day---breakfast, supper....

New Threads

Top Bottom