• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post a random memory

When I was young a friend of mine across the street and I would make up a big day of events on the last day of summer before school started again. We called it "fun day" and we had some events at his house and some at mine. My house had two large trees over my driveway that kind of looked like a dome so we called it "tree dome" and it was an arena for us to have a our games. His house was called something else, I don't remember. It was a good way to end the summer.

In a related memory I remember the night before the first day of school not being able to sleep very well. I was always very nervous, horribly nervous. Hated that feeling. In first grade on the first day of school I remember standing in line waiting to go into the school and somehow this girl in front of me either backed up or I moved forward without looking and I wound up with her hair in my face.

I stood looking out my bedroom window and
watched the sun come up from a different
direction. It was quite rosy.

My parents offered 2 ideas:
A. I dreamed it.
B. I must have fallen asleep during the day,
woke up, and mistook sunset for sunrise.

I think I was nine years old.

A rectangle monitor, one smaller rectangle region depicting the travelling of information by a letter to a green and blue planet, repeatedly. It was the Windows 95 computer on the attic. Really fascinating, but sadly. No one knew how to use that computer for anything but what folks do ordinarily, and none had the bright idea that I could be fascinated by it. With little ability to express one's desires, it is to be expected.

First day in school, I remember queueing through the busy personnel corridor to obtain an orange backpack. Then we kids sat in a ring to introduce ourselves. We did some kind of game that I do not remember. It was very weird. And I could vaguely tell that the teacher were only smiling to my pleasure.

I was the only one who was fascinated by a Peter Pan movie during my classmate's birthday party. The others ran about. I could also not finish viewing it due to its length.

This is what I've been told.
When I was 2-3 we went camping at a lake. In the middle of the night I woke up and somehow walked of the end of the dock into the lake. No one knows how long I was under but eventually they fished me out resuscitated me.

My first real memory was right after that and it was of my grandfather stripping me naked and burning leeches off my entire body with a cigar.

When we were kids, My brother and I used to make up words for things that we didn't know the actual word for or just couldn't be bothered to pronounce the proper word and thought our word for it was better.

There's a chest of drawers in the living room with an angled compartment on top where the door is hinged on the bottom and opens outwards to act as a desk - this compartment will be forever known in our house as the cakey, because that's what we called it when we were little kids. It still gets called the cakey and nobody questions it anymore.

My earliest memory is of being aged around 2 and peeing into the mop bucket in the kitchen. I guess I couldn't hold it in long enough to reach my potty.

-Running in the woods with my cousins- making bows and arrows out of tree branches and pieces of string we'd torn apart and chorded to make stronger.

-Throwing pebbles at the fighting rooster Carlos gave to our dad, annoying it until it chased after us and we climbed up the trees. It would strut around and around the bottom of the tree for ages, waiting for us to come down. My cousin got a good peck from it once that made her ankle bleed. Looking back, we were all lucky it never got us with its talons. It had feathers on its feet.

-Reading Hamlet the first time, straight through. I didn't leave the room once. I loved it. I started out reading on my stomach in bed, and by the time I finished it I was on the floor with my elbows leaning on the mattress. I was pissed when Ophelia died.

-Playing cowboys and Indians, running through the woods, and laying on our bellies in the pasture- ambushing and tying each other up. I was always an Indian, of course. After dad burned brush one evening, we ground up the charred wood and spat in it to make black war paint. We couldn't get it off for a few days, no matter how much we bathed.

-Having a circle of other kids at the Princeton academic camp ask me if I was dropped on my head as a baby when I wondered what tofu was. They all thought I was stupid because of my accent.

-Listening to the old Maya ladies speak Yucatec while they made tortillas on the back porch at Xuencal. It sounded so beautiful and they were very friendly. I learned Yucatec later so that I could talk to folks like them one day.

..... I think you asked for one memory, but one reminded me on another and so on... sorry XD

Ninth grade, chemistry class, we had an oral quiz each student asked a different question. I was asked "What is element number 85 on the periodic table?"

I promptly replied "asinine" and the whole class, the teacher included burst into laughter, at my expense. (the actual element is astatine.)
:oops:

Walking through the woods behind my house in Maryland trying to get to the road, and making it. I was trying to get to a certain store. Not sure what I planned to do once I got there; didn't have any money. But I didn't know which way to go down the road, so I went home again.

A horse named Fig Bar that belonged to a guy that was a hard core member of the John Birch Society.

I remember once when I was about six years old, I was somewhere with a few other young girls (maybe a birthday party) playing with dolls. A nice lady came up and started talking to us and asking questions of us. She asked a few of the girls how many children they wanted when they grew up and got married. They answered as expected with a number. When she asked me the same question, I replied, "None, and I'm not getting married." Considering it was the mid 1960's, I remember the perplexed look on the woman's face as if she couldn't believe what she just heard.

New Threads

Top Bottom