• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Please share your opinion on this. What's easier? Car or scooter?

Arsinoe

So I've been thinking that I will need a means of transportation for my job (it's 20 mins away from here by car) but I won't be able to afford to buy my own car (even used ones here are pretty expensive now) but it'd be much easier and affordable for me to get a used scooter (or even a new one if it's not very expensive). And despite having started car lessons I keep thinking that maybe I could switch to scooter lessons and I'm wondering if it's going to be easier than the car? And I'll be honest..the stress I've been getting since I started the car driving lessons contribute to these thoughts too.

Today was my 3d lesson and it only stressed me even more instead of making me feel like I'd be even a little more comfortable with it. And the instructor keeps telling me about my mistakes but never points out any correct moves I might do. Really, regardless of MY difficulties, he is AWFUL at teaching. Talks too fast, doesn't use encouragement (horrible when you teach something especially to someone who;s already stressed) and acts like he expects me to remember all kinds of things he has said from the 1st lesson (even though he hasn't really said much besides like mentioning stuff for 1 time only). Not to mention that despite me telling him (on our 2nd lesson) that I am in NO hurry and that it might take me long to learn this, today he said something like ''if you want the lessons to be quickly over..'', which took me by surprise because 1) I NEVER said that and 2) I even told him the exact OPPOSITE. So he gives me the feeling that maybe HE wants the lessons to be done and over quickly..and I'm not paying so much money to be rushed into this. I just don't know anymore. I don't know if it's even worth it to keep up the lessons or just switch to bike ones?

There are added dynamics to 2 wheeled travel beyond driving a 4 wheeled one.

I don't know if you have paid a fixed price for your lessons or pay for each one, but if possible maybe you should consider to switch teacher? Preferably to one who know a bit about autism?

I have no experience in driving a scooter, so I can't advise you on that part.

So I've been thinking that I will need a means of transportation for my job (it's 20 mins away from here by car) but I won't be able to afford to buy my own car (even used ones here are pretty expensive now) but it'd be much easier and affordable for me to get a used scooter (or even a new one if it's not very expensive). And despite having started car lessons I keep thinking that maybe I could switch to scooter lessons and I'm wondering if it's going to be easier than the car? And I'll be honest..the stress I've been getting since I started the car driving lessons contribute to these thoughts too.

Today was my 3d lesson and it only stressed me even more instead of making me feel like I'd be even a little more comfortable with it. And the instructor keeps telling me about my mistakes but never points out any correct moves I might do. Really, regardless of MY difficulties, he is AWFUL at teaching. Talks too fast, doesn't use encouragement (horrible when you teach something especially to someone who;s already stressed) and acts like he expects me to remember all kinds of things he has said from the 1st lesson (even though he hasn't really said much besides like mentioning stuff for 1 time only). Not to mention that despite me telling him (on our 2nd lesson) that I am in NO hurry and that it might take me long to learn this, today he said something like ''if you want the lessons to be quickly over..'', which took me by surprise because 1) I NEVER said that and 2) I even told him the exact OPPOSITE. So he gives me the feeling that maybe HE wants the lessons to be done and over quickly..and I'm not paying so much money to be rushed into this. I just don't know anymore. I don't know if it's even worth it to keep up the lessons or just switch to bike ones?

I think it would be something you will know by doing each and seeing which one works for you better. But if where you live has rain/snow/ice/storms etc a scooter may not be practical. I think of it as more a fair weather vehicle.

I don't know if you have paid a fixed price for your lessons or pay for each one, but if possible maybe you should consider to switch teacher? Preferably to one who know a bit about autism?

I have no experience in driving a scooter, so I can't advise you on that part.
Where I live we don't have instructors who specialize in anything other than cars. And the choices in instructors are very limited because each office offers only 1 teacher. My only way out of this is if I switch to bike lessons, provided that they would be easier.

Where I live we don't have instructors who specialize in anything other than cars. And the choices in instructors are very limited because each office offers only 1 teacher. My only way out of this is if I switch to bike lessons, provided that they would be easier.
It doesn't sound like the communication is working with your current teacher. I'm a little scared it will be a very hard experience for you to have him teach you... - some teachers are just a bad fit.

But when it can't be changed then I hope you can make him understand that the way he teach you now isn't working and need to change - just ignore him if he say there is something wrong with the way you learn.

My two main concerns with scooters:
1. The weather (snow and rain, it would not be pleasant to be on a scooter).
2. Other drivers (scooters and motorcycles are smaller and typically are more difficult to see on the road).

My two main concerns with automobiles:
1. A lot more money to own and operate.
2. Less maneuverability in tight spots and needing more room for parking.

Change the instructor and stick to learning to drive an automobile.

I recall one of our former mods took quite a spill on her scooter having been hit by a car. Hope she fully recovered...she hasn't been seen here in years.

Last edited:
Try an electric bicycle if you like. A new one is as cheap or cheaper than the cheapest used cars, and the owning of it will save you a lot of hassle (and gas, miles, automobile tires, insurance and more) if you do get a car down the line.

I ride a standard "roadster" bicycle that looks like something from the third world and honestly I prefer it over the old car I also drive. Really not impressed with the state of cars these days as they are too big, too powerful, and too fast for me to really handle. I'm probably going to have to build my next car from scratch and throw an electric motor on it.

Personally I have got where I hate cars and car dependency. Still working in the automotive field, still driving, but I hate those damn machines a little bit more each day.

If you are having difficulties with handling a car, any scooter/motorcycle requires far more attention on the road as well as developing situational awareness. I have had two motorcycles, the last a Kawasaki Concours. I loved it and have ridden in all conditions excepting winter and snow.

A good idea is to avoid small tires. They do not roll over obstructions easily and while they may seem easy to turn, they do not have a large gyroscopic effect and so you do not countersteer like you do on motorcycles.

I second the idea of a bicycle, electric or merely good quality (designed to be maintained, not disposed of.) I went for decades with just a bike, and have regrets about ever going back to a car, even though my expenses have been very low. You can teach yourself from a book, and gradually work up to riding in more traffic. Riding automatically covers your need for exercise, and on a busy day, you get more of it to burn off the adrenaline, rather than skipping the gym and blowing your routine. In cold weather, you get central heating, unlike on a scooter, which only gives windchill. Ivan Illich calculated that by the time someone has driven downtown, found parking, walked to their job, and worked until it was all paid for, they typically averaged 7 kph - a brisk walk. Riding is also quite cerebral - an experienced rider can keep up with a beginner while using HALF the oxygen, even covering basic life systems, so the difference in muscle use is considerably higher. It's a great sport. Making good time through traffic completely distracts me from the fatigue.

I think that if you can ride a bicycle then a scooter is not that different, you just need to regulate the acceleration properly. That's the only major difference.

I love bikes i have one.
But bikes are not safe at all, like someone said, the 'bumper' in a bike IT'S YOU.

Statistically, bicycles and cars are equally dangerous per mile, while motorcycles are five times worse. Electric bikes can be very dangerous if the top boost speed is higher than a healthy rider's cruise, because they are not built for it. Much depends on the experience of the rider, of course. On a bike, the perceived danger can help you stay safe.

That being said, it helps to view it in certain parameters? One, how young you are to bike in rough conditions? 2. How rough the terrain is. 3. Will it be a motorized bike? 4. How much do you like to bike vs how much you like to scooter? Is this temporary or going to be permanent? Which will need the most upkeep? Do you have a backup plan if one needs fixing? Can you rideshare with someone with a car?

As a kid, I had a razor scooter. That thing was the bomb. I hated bikes they hurt my knees and butt. I am still in the process of learning how to drive. I’ve made a lot of progress last year. I just need to drive on the road. I would say car, but it’s hard to do. You have to be very careful. You not only have to watch yourself, but also other people.

@Arsinoe , I had an awful instructor too. I managed four lessons with him before I gave up on driving. The miserable old git put me right off with his perpetual moaning. He had no comprehension that learning took time.

Bikes... you'll want something like a Honda CG125 or similar. Easy to ride and can keep up with traffic.

Some words of advice; do all your braking before you enter a tight bend. The reason is traction; you are using a lesser-used part of the tyre which may have less grip when it's forced to do two things.

Train yourself not to grab a handful of front brake. If you do this you'll lock the wheel and down you go. Remember, most bikes don't have ABS.

If you do go down the bike route find an empty carpark and practice using the clutch and brakes.

Oh, and beware of loose gravel on the road. It will try and take you out.

@Arsinoe , I had an awful instructor too. I managed four lessons with him before I gave up on driving. The miserable old git put me right off with his perpetual moaning. He had no comprehension that learning took time.

Bikes... you'll want something like a Honda CG125 or similar. Easy to ride and can keep up with traffic.

Some words of advice; do all your braking before you enter a tight bend. The reason is traction; you are using a lesser-used part of the tyre which may have less grip when it's forced to do two things.

Train yourself not to grab a handful of front brake. If you do this you'll lock the wheel and down you go. Remember, most bikes don't have ABS.

If you do go down the bike route find an empty carpark and practice using the clutch and brakes.

Oh, and beware of loose gravel on the road. It will try and take you out.
Ι can't stand him anymore x_x No matter what you tell him he just doesn't get it. I tell him I'm not good with coordination and he's like ''why shouldn't you be good with it?''..it's like trying to explain basic human traits to a BABY..and this guy is supposed to have 20 years of experience as a driving instructor. Shouldn't HE already know that not all students/people learn the same way and at the same pace? And I noticed something else too. I tried finding his driving school data on the web (you know where you can see people's reviews of it) and despite having an official driving school, apparently he hasn't (for some reason) let his driving school be included on the general google review pages (like all other schools in my area have) which means that you cannot see any review of people about him. Kinda fishy if you think about it..it's like he doesn't want to have any reviews out in public..all other schools are out there and his are ghosted. You can find the info like phone, address,etc.. but you can't find him in the review pages. (I don;t know if you guys have that too but where I live, if you type ANY kind of business on google, there are the so called ''review'' pages where people leave reviews for their experiences with said business but if the business owner hasn't let this information to be advertised/published then you will only find their very basic info like phone and address and nothing else.

As a kid, I had a razor scooter. That thing was the bomb. I hated bikes they hurt my knees and butt. I am still in the process of learning how to drive. I’ve made a lot of progress last year. I just need to drive on the road. I would say car, but it’s hard to do. You have to be very careful. You not only have to watch yourself, but also other people.
Yes the car's demands are too much for me. It's too much to coordinate/control at the same time

New Threads

Top Bottom